Nash Metropolitan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nash Metropolitan

I want a Nash Metropolitan, but my husband says "no" because I need a reliable car to get me back and forth to work (about 60 miles R/T on crowded California freeways).

Isn't it possible to put a reliable, modern engine (and whatever else it would need) in a Metropolitan? If so, any ideas on how much that would cost?

Thanks in advance for any advice . . .

Re: Nash Metropolitan

Anything is possible depending on your abilities, time, and money. I would think the little Metro would be a prime candidate for a later model 4-banger, with either a carb retrofit, or a megasquirt running the efi.
    sigpic

Comment

I'd look for a wrecked S10 with a 2.2 Ecotech and swap the entire driveline - engine, transmission, and rear end, which will need to be shortened. My Mom had a Metro when I was first learning to drive and it was a cool little car although unreliable. The rear ends are VERY fragile - I know this from first-hand experience.

Dan

Comment

The MG engines in my buddy Gregg's two Mets are very reliable. They start right up after weeks of non-use and sitting. He drives his all the time, but being the owner of 8 cars, Gregg can't drive them everyday. Gregg has owned his since the 80's. His Met mechanic is a 75 y/o lady.

I'm not sure if I'd want a stick to sit in traffic on LA's freeways. Also, the first gear in those does not have a synchro so getting the car into first if you are moving at all is very tricky.
        BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

When I say "unreliable" - I'm talking Lucas electrics in Michigan cold weather. In SoCal they might work OK. The basic engine is an Austin A2 - same as in a Sprite and MANY other cars as well as air compressors, arc welders, etc. The mechanical bits of the engine worked really well and are pretty stout.

I'm thinking for a DD she'd want dead reliable and probably an auto trans, hence my suggestion. A crunched, low mileage S10 should be pretty cheap and then all she needs is some Bozos like us to screw it all together.

Dan

Comment

Hmmm I have no skills at all.

How much do you think this all would cost to have somebody do?

Comment

Check this out . . . I just found a Met for sale for $50,000. 850hp.

Comment

Sounds like fun, but I thought you said daily driver.

Comment

A 2.8 v-6 would actually fit better in the Metro (It's shorter then the 4 banger).... long story short; I had one and was going to put the 2.8 in because it fit the best... then the divorce happened so I was less than inclined to build her a car :

Problem, IMO of the Austin motor is they are terribly gutless... they could be reconfiged with modern electronics/FI and remove the Lucas problem; but you still have a 40 hp car.

Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

That would be a kool project for sure. I'm with Dan on this one...an S-10 or simular entire driveline swap would be the ticket.

Comment

Working...
                    X