Collapse
No announcement yet.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Last edited by bjohn; February 10, 2024, 11:53 AM.

Re: 1988 Toyota Tercel.

Like the Caddy hood ornament.

Comment

I like your NO JUNK personalized licence plate. Bet it's easy on gas. You could go in any direction with that car. Rattle cans sound good.

Comment

Flat black red steelies ya know ole sckool

Comment

recover the seats, or buy some seat covers at the parts store and some new carpet will do wonders for the interior. The dash and door panels look really good for a car that age. Here in SoCal, that dash would be cooked and cracked by now.

If you do a rattle can paint job. Have fun with it. Maybe put some old school scallops on it. If you don't like them after you are done. You can always paint over them. Painting the stock wheels and maybe some wider tires would do wonders for it's looks.
          BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

My parents bought one exactly like this new in 1987. It would go to 115 mph top speed, and when I wasn't driving it, it got over 40 mpg.
            President, Wicked Rides Poland

http://www.bangshift.com/forum/showt...eau-Club-Wagon

Comment

Just step up and buy a Caddy to match the ornament,might I suggest a 77-79 Coupe De Ville.

Comment

Good Job! None of us were born knowing this stuff and this is exactly how we learned. It's WAY cool that you young guys coming up have the Internet now so us old farts can tell you what cliffs we fell off as we were learning. I'll miss the classy hood ornament, though.

Dan

Comment

Re: 1988 Toyota Tercel (Not a rice rocket project)

Not a fan of the car, but damn that is some good work. The valve cover cleaned up real nice too.
                  Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

This is EXACTLY how I learned. An old POS that you don't love makes it possible to just wade in. If it's your "dream car" you'll be too afraid to have at it and so you'll never learn.

Looks good, BTW. I suggest you do an overall paint in enamel with a two tone or stripe or some such. Enamel is the toughest to paint, is fairly cheap, and can finish up really nicely - just be sure to use hardener. If you can shoot a decent enamel job you can shoot anything. I'd look at Nason (DuPont's cheap brand) or similar. You can rent a compressor and gun if you don't have them. The reason I recommend that you do an overall - you'll know how to do it then. The reason I said to add a stripe or two-tone - you'll know how to do it then. If you decide to do this I can provide more explicit details.

Keep up the good work
                    Dan

Comment

Originally posted by TheSilverBuick
                      Not a fan of the car, but damn that is some good work. The valve cover cleaned up real nice too.
                      X2
                      The car isn't the point here. It's the knowlage you'll gain.
                      Besides kudos for caring enough to fix it up.
                      Don't take this the wrong but, I'd compare it to the old
                      man who has a meticulously clean 1984 K-car.
                      No one appreciates the car so much as his dedication to it.
                      Just because it's his and he has taken care of it.

Keep it up
                      Chris

Comment

We all had to start somewhere - and starting on whatever you have certainly makes the most sense!
                        There's always something new to learn.

Comment

nicely done - you may want to re - check your bearing pre load after a few hundred miles - just to make sure you don't have too much free play.... This car may not be the prettiest or fastest you'll ever have - but it will always be the one you learned on - and will hopefully serve you well with many miles of hauling you around while learning from it at the same time!
                          There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Working...
                          X