Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1988 Toyota Tercel (Not a rice rocket project)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• milner351
    replied
    Re: 1988 Toyota Tercel (Not a rice rocket project)

nicely done - you may want to re - check your bearing pre load after a few hundred miles - just to make sure you don't have too much free play.... This car may not be the prettiest or fastest you'll ever have - but it will always be the one you learned on - and will hopefully serve you well with many miles of hauling you around while learning from it at the same time!

Leave a comment:

• bjohn
    replied

Ah yes... a nice heated garage afternoon after my daily rally race behind my place of work (McDonalds). All the shinyness on the inner fenders is local pure loon sh*t mud that is so fun to fly through. So, I did front rotors and pads, and repacked the rear wheel bearings. It was pretty tough to turn the rear wheels when the cars back end was in the air, and now they spin great. Both spindles had the beautiful shade of burnt metal blue after i cleaned them up. Anyways, parts washered all hardware and outer bearings and re greased. I was amazed at how much gunk was in the bearings and how they still seemed fine. Then I moved to the front of the car after lunch. One d*mn caliper bolt was stripped baadddd, ended up welding a washer to it and got it out with the vice grips. Painful experience. Other than that no big deal. No more brake pulse either ;) Great Success! Feels good to be doing body work at the ripe age of 17 wthout help. ;D

Leave a comment:

• milner351
    replied

We all had to start somewhere - and starting on whatever you have certainly makes the most sense!

Leave a comment:

• bjohn
    replied

Thanks guys 8). Good motivation to keep going. Its definitely a good place to learn, and it can be a pain in the a** learning how to do this without guidance. Never mudded before, or fabbed pieces but i REALLY love doing it. Most of all i can say "look what i did" haha. I don't have a spray gun, or a compressor that works.. Just my rust guard rattle cans. I think its five gallons and doesn't have the air flow for my cutoff wheel. . I am probably going to my grandpas nice heated garage today, No more frozen hands! Maybe rear brakes on it today?

Leave a comment:

• CM325
    replied

Originally posted by TheSilverBuick
    Not a fan of the car, but damn that is some good work. The valve cover cleaned up real nice too.
    X2
    The car isn't the point here. It's the knowlage you'll gain.
    Besides kudos for caring enough to fix it up.
    Don't take this the wrong but, I'd compare it to the old
    man who has a meticulously clean 1984 K-car.
    No one appreciates the car so much as his dedication to it.
    Just because it's his and he has taken care of it.

Keep it up
    Chris

Leave a comment:

• DanStokes
    replied

This is EXACTLY how I learned. An old POS that you don't love makes it possible to just wade in. If it's your "dream car" you'll be too afraid to have at it and so you'll never learn.

Looks good, BTW. I suggest you do an overall paint in enamel with a two tone or stripe or some such. Enamel is the toughest to paint, is fairly cheap, and can finish up really nicely - just be sure to use hardener. If you can shoot a decent enamel job you can shoot anything. I'd look at Nason (DuPont's cheap brand) or similar. You can rent a compressor and gun if you don't have them. The reason I recommend that you do an overall - you'll know how to do it then. The reason I said to add a stripe or two-tone - you'll know how to do it then. If you decide to do this I can provide more explicit details.

Keep up the good work
    Dan

Leave a comment:

• TheSilverBuick
    replied

Not a fan of the car, but damn that is some good work. The valve cover cleaned up real nice too.

Leave a comment:

• bjohn
    replied
    Re: 1988 Toyota Tercel.

Progress as of a couple hours ago... Also, sorry about the poor picture quality. I just have a phone to use. I just painted where i had bare metal or had mud. there is still more surface rust on the hatch, and a nice patch of rot on the left bottom area of the glass. Many angles there though... it will be a challenge for me ha. Tomorrow i guess i am doing rear quarter panel rust repair. Could use an exhaust manifold gasket too. I keep telling myself why do this much work to a boring car in a 33 degree garage? (No Chevy v8 = Boring!) What better way to learn how to do body work though?

Leave a comment:

• bjohn
    replied

Today's project was the rear hatch. There is mud on it now, no picture of it. drying as you read this! Also, expanding foam really expands into everything in case you were wondering that. I hate it.... After removing a lot of it on this side of the hatch i painted the inside just because i can, and welded it up with metal from a fender from a Honda something or other. I painted the air cleaner too. Did a terrible job prepping it. still a lot of grease on it, but i was impatient.
    [

Leave a comment:

• DanStokes
    replied

Good Job! None of us were born knowing this stuff and this is exactly how we learned. It's WAY cool that you young guys coming up have the Internet now so us old farts can tell you what cliffs we fell off as we were learning. I'll miss the classy hood ornament, though.

Dan

Leave a comment:

• bjohn
    replied

So, had tons of time to work yesterday. Cadillac emblem GONE. Along with the two dents by it. It also has a new thermostat, valve cover gasket, and fuel filter. Repainted the wiper arms. First time using bondo. Without guidance. Filled the Hole where the emblem was with a washer. I also painted the valve cover after much sanding and the air filter housing. [img][/img]

Leave a comment:

• antmnte
    replied

Just step up and buy a Caddy to match the ornament,might I suggest a 77-79 Coupe De Ville.

Leave a comment:

• yogreasygramma
    replied

My parents bought one exactly like this new in 1987. It would go to 115 mph top speed, and when I wasn't driving it, it got over 40 mpg.

Leave a comment:

• bjohn
    replied

I like this...

I would also really like to make it a rally car... haha. huge mudflaps, subaru blue, round side mirrors, bigger steelies/tires.

Leave a comment:

• Scott Liggett
    replied

recover the seats, or buy some seat covers at the parts store and some new carpet will do wonders for the interior. The dash and door panels look really good for a car that age. Here in SoCal, that dash would be cooked and cracked by now.

If you do a rattle can paint job. Have fun with it. Maybe put some old school scallops on it. If you don't like them after you are done. You can always paint over them. Painting the stock wheels and maybe some wider tires would do wonders for it's looks.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X