1982 malibu wagon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 1982 malibu wagon

Thanks again everyone for the kind words........

Originally posted by milner351
    what paint products are you using?

traditional or HVLP gun?
    Paint/clear is R-M Diamont Primer is from my dad's shop can't remember the brand.

Gun is an old hvlp from JC Whitney :o...I've had it at least 12-13 years. I'm not much of a painter, I believe in pre paint prep and even more post paint sanding/buffing. I try to get enough material on there without being too dry, or having runs everywhere. Oldschool I know, it has worked for me so far.

My dad has a hot rot/resto shop, I grew up in there and picked up a few tricks along the way.
    A.K.A. Brian
    Jack of many trades-master of none

Comment

you and other's here are so lucky to have family in this business.

I've had to learn what little I know on my own, my Dad is a golfer - and that's his only hobby - I enjoy playing golf with him but I sure wish he was at least a little into cars!
      There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Originally posted by milner351
        you and other's here are so lucky to have family in this business.

I've had to learn what little I know on my own, my Dad is a golfer - and that's his only hobby - I enjoy playing golf with him but I sure wish he was at least a little into cars!
        I hear ya, my dad is white collar, I may be partner in my own business but i'm still closer to blue.
        He was not interested at all when i drug the nova home at 15. That said he was the old style dad, went
        to work paid the bills, and drank alot. We didn't hang out that much.

Comment

My Dad was hands-off as well. I was lucky to find some older guys who knew something and let me tag along. Not sure how much I got from it but at least it was SOMETHING.

I use an old Binks #7. It wastes a lot of paint but is capable of laying down beautiful paint and sometimes I can get it to do that. The best job I ever did was on my Mom's Cavalier. I painted it probably 12 years ago or so and it still looks great. She gets compliments on it all the time. PPG base/clear. She's still driving it at 88.

Dan

Comment

DWB is that a Ford Explorer rearend under that wagon with the disc brakes or just a 9in Ford....... :o
            That steely eyed look I had behind the wheel was me trying see..........

Comment

Originally posted by 383S-10
              DWB is that a Ford Explorer rearend under that wagon with the disc brakes or just a 9in Ford....... :o

It's a 9" 3.50:1 with Explorer calipers ........good eye :o
              A.K.A. Brian

Comment

Was there anything special you had to do to get the Explorer calipers to mate up?

Comment

Was there anything special you had to do to get the Explorer calipers to mate up?

I ordered the housing/axels/brakes from Mosier Eng. The brackets looked pretty standard, but??????
                  A.K.A. Brian

Comment

Im sorry about that......I didnt know if it was actually a Ford Explorer rearend or off another Ford product.....which i also didnt know if an Explorer rear disc brake assembly would bolt on to the older Ford rearends. Right now Im in the process of trying to build a rearend for my Regal. I have 3 choices....build the 7.5 10-bolt I have with stronger axles & gear chunk....two find the ever elusive 8.5 10 bolt rearend and freshen it up or third go with the Ford option kinda like yours to have a stronger rearend to handle future hp/tq upgrades. So I didnt know exactly what you had but I could tell it was a Ford and with the disc brakes i saw it made me think of the Ford Explorer rearend. Sorry for the confusion I could worded my question better......

Comment

my dad was the whitest of collars , though his dad was a plumber
                      mom's dad was a cop , but his dad was a mechanic and was an early employee of chevrolet [before GM ]
                      I had to be self taught
                      still learning

Comment

Very kool car DWB! What wheels??

Comment

Im sorry about that......I didnt know if it was actually a Ford Explorer rearend or off another Ford product.....which i also didnt know if an Explorer rear disc brake assembly would bolt on to the older Ford rearends. Right now Im in the process of trying to build a rearend for my Regal. I have 3 choices....build the 7.5 10-bolt I have with stronger axles & gear chunk....two find the ever elusive 8.5 10 bolt rearend and freshen it up or third go with the Ford option kinda like yours to have a stronger rearend to handle future hp/tq upgrades. So I didnt know exactly what you had but I could tell it was a Ford and with the disc brakes i saw it made me think of the Ford Explorer rearend. Sorry for the confusion I could worded my question better......

no problemo, I wish I knew too. I have not had any experience with with the 9". This is the only "fabbed" part I've had done........I guess that's why it's taking sooooo long ;D

Originally posted by AFFORDILLAC
                          Very kool car DWB! What wheels??
                          Thank You, Not sure on the wheels yet. The 15" Z-28 wheels it came with juuuust clear the front brakes, so it will be 16 X 8s all around most likely. Leaning towards Torque Thrust classic's or similar.
                          A.K.A. Brian

Comment

hey DWB is going to be solid black? ayt strip or two tone. very cool ride

Comment

Originally posted by jerrys96lt4
                              hey DWB is going to be solid black? ayt strip or two tone. very cool ride

Thanks Jerry

It will be all black for now, that could change once it's all painted, together, and dialed in. Like the wheels, I've not 100% decided. :-\

A cowl hood is also on the wish list, but not the budget at this time......The stock one looks ok tho.....for now ;D
                              A.K.A. Brian

Comment

cool I did body work for 16 years and black was by far my fav. Unless we did a real candy job. I miss those days. I ran iroc wheels on my wagon. Iglassbead blasted them and polished them.

Comment

Working...
                                X