1982 malibu wagon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 1982 malibu wagon

Excellent thread! It's cool to find out I'n not the only fool who takes on body and paint. Interesting to see the solvent pops. I've heard tales of them but thought they were like UFOs - we all hear about them but no one has a clear pic. You have actual evidence!

I had a screw-up yesterday. I'm fixing the quarter on my Dakota and needed to blend the clearcoat. The paint store guy sold me a spray can of blender which you spray on the blend area right after you shoot the clear. Well guess what - the stuff works, but...... The can I got dribbled all over the new clear below it! Looks like fish eyes, sort of. I let it dry overnight and I'll 400, 1500 and buff it today. For now, it'll be what it is as I have a trip to Buffalo NY to make starting on Friday. At worst I'll have to reshoot the clear and use the blending agent in my touchup gun - they also package the stuff in bulk besides the aerosol cans. Live & learn! I'll see if I can get a pic of the mess.

Dan

Comment

Man, nice job on your wagon. The first picture reminds me of ours. ;D

Comment

Originally posted by KeithTurk
        I really like this project... and frankly... I might beat you to a two door version... I just think it needs to be done...

K
        Thanks Keith!

I will have to do one some day too. as you said it needs to be done!

Originally posted by Buickguy
        light is good, halide is a great choice - that way if you decide not to build cars, you can grow stuff in their, like your own private greenhouse... I also said I wouldn't move into my shop before it was finished.... hahahaha yeah right. Anyway, once I move the stuff back out I'll paint the floors....
        I have been struggling with the light options, Thanks, but there are plenty of 'crops" being grown it that countyLOL
        I had a fight with the wife about putting thye tractor in the "mini barn" before the floors were painted! she wanted it out of the garage/basement really bad!! I won the battle but lost the war. As you can see it's full of crap already >

Originally posted by milner351
        I've been working on the shop and working IN the shop since the day I got it.
        I've had floor paint for over 3 years - still don't have it on the floor!

someday -

I'm telling you - shops are just like car projects - NEVER DONE!
        is anything ever done? It's not for me!

Originally posted by mike343sharpstick
        These shop comments are so true, I did as much as I could before moving in, as soon as the vehicles were in all shop progress stoped :
        I still have shelves to put up and drywall to finish... someday :P
        I hear you, I ran 10 110 outlets and 2 220 outlets on the first floor last weekend. now for the lighting and 200' trench and $1000 worth of cable :'(

Originally posted by trukluvr
        Originally posted by KeithTurk
        I really like this project... and frankly... I might beat you to a two door version... I just think it needs to be done...

K
        I'll have to get and post pics of my buddy's 2 door LeMans wagon with T-tops.
        still waiting ;D

Originally posted by DanStokes
        Excellent thread! It's cool to find out I'n not the only fool who takes on body and paint. Interesting to see the solvent pops. I've heard tales of them but thought they were like UFOs - we all hear about them but no one has a clear pic. You have actual evidence!

Dan
        Thanks Dan! Fool is right! I will try anything once ;D

Glad I could be the one to prove UFO's exist > ;D ;D

Originally posted by Toecutter
        Man, nice job on your wagon. The first picture reminds me of ours. ;D
        Thanks TC......It will be the EVIL TWIN of yours someday....maybe 8)
        A.K.A. Brian
        Jack of many trades-master of none

Comment

I guess I will know pretty soon if the nightmare continues.....I need a drink! :roll:

A.K.A. Brian

Comment

By the time stamp on your message, looks like another long, late paint day.
            Looks good... again. Did it stick this time?

Comment

Originally posted by mike343sharpstick
              By the time stamp on your message, looks like another long, late paint day.
              Looks good... again. Did it stick this time?

It doesn't look too bad, I'm pretty sure a lil sandin n buffin will have it presentable. It has only been 14 hours I'll give it until Sunday am before I put any sandpaper to it.
              A.K.A. Brian

Comment

Brian
                This car looks great in person - your garage is a lesson to me in what could be if one stays focused on one project!

Thanks a ton for your help today - it was great to meet you and see this thing in person.
                There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Dan
                  This car looks great in person - your garage is a lesson to me in what could be if one stays focused on one project!

Thanks a ton for your help today - it was great to meet you and see this thing in person.
                  Any time bud!

Why do ya have to call me Dan???LOL

Brian
                  A.K.A. Brian

Comment

painted a few parts, and slid the buffer over a bit today. I guess it's safe from the scrapyard.....for now! :D

A.K.A. Brian

Comment

NICE WORK BRIAN!
                      (see I do remember when I'm not too tired)

Man o man - this really really sells me on the whole base clear thing - put enough clear on it and even a garage paint job without a filter system can come out bitchen - holy cow - it's like a mirror!

How many different sanding stages did it take before you hit it with the buffer?

2000, 1500?

do you use rubbing compound or polishing compound? foam wool or terry cloth?

Comment

;D

I hit it with 1000 to get it close, then 1500. I used 3-m rubbing compound with a wool pad then a foam pad with polishing glaze. I have had these products for years, the name or # has probably changed. don't knock single stage paint it's fewer steps and easier to repair. also if you are leery of the buffer (you should be) you can step to 2000 or even 2500 so you can use the less aggressive foam pad for the whole buffing phase. A wool pad will burn through the paint in a heartbeat if it gets too dry (hot) also it can catch a corner and take it down to the primer just like that. I recomend a row of masking tape on the corners as you learn the feel of it. get an old fender or hood or use an old tractor for practice with some generic products for practice. It's NOT rocket science......but even an engineer can do it LOL ;D
                        A.K.A. Brian

Comment

leave the small block in it!

Comment

leave the small block in it!
                            ;) oh, OK!

here is the compound I'm using.....3m makes a foam compound pad and a foam polish pad. Much more forgiving than the wool ;D

EDIT: sorry for the out of focus on the bottles lol

A.K.A. Brian

Comment

NIIIIIICE!

Comment

;D i like. Glad you got your solvant pops under control. well done

Comment

Working...
                                X