No announcement yet.

1982 malibu wagon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ok I thought I'd dig this up from the grave. This thing has been sitting for a while now. It had a miss in it and I decided it had a valve hanging in one of the "rebuilt" heads I bought from a former coworker......

Since I was beyond fed up and didn't have time for it or NEED it - it has been sitting.
    So, since I had to pull the heads, why not a cam too?!? :-) I don't need it to road trip as first intended, so let's make it sound better.

Now it needs to be washed

this project has been like a SNL skit or something from Dumb and Dumber.

I'm starting to think I shouldn't work on stuff. For example I dropped one of the short head bolts and looked all over for it, I found it in the header the next morning. Yup I should sell my tools and hire a real mechanic. LOL

Anyway it does sound better

Last edited by DirtyWhiteBoy; April 24, 2012, 02:21 PM.
    A.K.A. Brian
    Jack of many trades-master of none

Comment

• that sound makes me smile... nice
      Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

• the sound that makes us do it over and over and not drive Prii! Excellent.
        Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

• i need to find me another wagon, man that sounds good
          Charles W - BS Photographer at large

Comment

• sweet combustion music!

so - what was the problem with the heads?

What cam is that?
            There's always something new to learn.

Comment

• Thanks for the kind words guys.
              My wagon, while it represents a fair bit of work, pales in comparison to most of the things that go on around this site.
              I do appreciate the all of thoughts and comments.

And yes I LOVE the rumble sound too!

Hey John, the heads had a tight exhaust guide and 2 intakes not seating well. The P.O. installed larger intakes and did some mild porting on them.
              He told me his son ran them for a few months and wrecked the car. The machine shop told me that the seats were not cut deep enough, which explains the clearance issues I had with the roller rockers. Live and learn eh?

The cam is a Comp Cam xe 268. It claims to the largest with a stock converter. At least in my situation (305 ci 9-1 compression) It would like a little stall, but it does work.
              IF this thing stays around I'll likely put this cam into a 4 bolt main 350 from my old s-10 blazer and add a stroker rotating assy, and add a little stall.
              To be honest the Dodge is rapidly gaining on the priority list and I will soon have enough parts to get started on it.
              A.K.A. Brian

Comment

• Almost 6 years? Are you sure?!?

This little beast is still around....I still haven't painted the gas lid or had a good exhaust put on it .

I have been working more in my wood shop than on cars. I have managed to start on a prototype "cup holder", and tint the windows. LOL

The console will most likely be mostly painted maroon before final assembly with aircraft style rivets.

Oh, and my wife finally got tired of me complaining about this car being TOO SLOW. She said "I wish you would just change the engine already".

HMMM, I'm thinking 6.0 ls and 4l80. Hunter/gatherer mode in 3,2,1, this car might just stick around for another few years :-)

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG5487 small.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	264.7 KB
ID:	1225811

Name:	IMAG5494 small.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	171.4 KB
ID:	1225810

Name:	tinted_edited small.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	381.4 KB
ID:	1225809

Name:	IMAG5400 small.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	328.1 KB
ID:	1225808

A.K.A. Brian

Comment

• I like the cup holder. Good to see the car again.
                  Chris - HRPT Long Haul 03, 04, 05, 13, 14, 15,16 & 18
                  74 Nova Project
                  66 Mustang GT Project

92 Camaro RS Convertible Project
                  79 Chevy Truck Project
                  1956 Cadillac Project

Comment

• Glad to see you and the car again / nice console/ cup holder .
                    Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan Barlow View Post
                      Glad to see you and the car again / nice console/ cup holder .
                      Originally posted by 74NovaMan View Post
                      I like the cup holder. Good to see the car again.

Thanks guys. I can't believe how distracted I have been. I need to refocus on these cars while I still remember how to any of it.
                      A.K.A. Brian

Comment

• I like the 6 liter idea!
                        Patrick & Tammy
                        - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

• Love the console... Me? I'dda not have holes on the sides... Cleaning chores, ya know...
                          But either way it is a beautiful piece.

Comment

• That car in the Buick version with a BBB would be just my cup o' tea as the Brits say (wonder if Andy says that?

Dan

Comment

• Originally posted by silver_bullet View Post
                              I like the 6 liter idea!
                              Mee tooo! I am trying not to get carried away. At least until I get one up and running N/A first

Originally posted by Deaf Bob View Post
                              Love the console... Me? I'dda not have holes on the sides... Cleaning chores, ya know...
                              But either way it is a beautiful piece.
                              Thanks!
                              Yeah, I know. I mostly did that because the heat blows out right into head of this thing....seemed like a good way to let it out.

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
                              That car in the Buick version with a BBB would be just my cup o' tea as the Brits say (wonder if Andy says that?

Dan
                              Thanks Dan, I think. Does that stand for Big Burly Benz?
                              Last edited by DirtyWhiteBoy; December 29, 2018, 07:38 PM.
                              A.K.A. Brian

Comment

• Originally posted by DirtyWhiteBoy View Post

Thanks Dan, I think. Does that stand for Big Burly Benz?
                                A possibilty!

Dan

Comment

Working...
                                X