Project Thread: Surf Green '57 Chevy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Project Thread: Surf Green '57 Chevy

My dad picked up a new project tonight, its a really, really solid 1957 Chevy four door. Normally we wouldn't go for a four door but one, they are gaining popularity, and two this thing is solid. Not a spec of rust on it, doors fit like new, all original sheet metal. Been in the same family since new. Original motor(rebuilt), lots of cool original stuff, plus a nice mix of good original and nos parts to replace what is bad.

I guess they pulled part of the trim off to repaint the car? Some spots have been primed, its kind of a shame, the paint that's on the car is pretty decent, its old lacquer that has a REALLY COOL patina'd look to it. But what's done is done. This car might be a flip, so budget is very much on the mind, we are in it pretty decent, but spending 5,000+ on a paint job is out of the question, that would kill any hopes of turning a profit down the road on it being a four door. So "the plan" is to try and blend in the primer spots and make it look decent, it should definitely have that old survivor look to it, which is pretty popular. Obviously it will never blend to match, but I'm hoping it comes close enough to look decent, its gotta be better than the primer? The solidness and the drive-ability of this car are its strong points anyway, plus all the chrome and stainless are really nice, so it has alot going for it without a show car finish. Keep your fingers crossed that it turns out okay!

Speaking of driving, first things first is to change the master cylinder out(comes with a new one) and get the brakes adjusted out, then the fun part starts probably sometime after I get back from the Power Tour.
    2013- Murphy, NC Road Side Fan Between Chattanooga & Charlotte 2014- Charlotte-Knoxville-Charleston: 2013 Ford Mustang GT

damn that thing is sick!

there is one near me for like 3500, same thing ,4 door 57 chevy, rebuilt engine and a 3 speed on the column, the only downside is its extremely rusty, even more rusty than my wagon. both rockers were bad, both fenders, all around the windshield and rear window was rusty.
    Hellinor- 2005 Mustang GT-Bolt ons, in need of a turbo

War Wagon- 1966 Bel Air Wagon-355 Crate motor, 700r4, flies pretty good for a brick...

Comment

Originally posted by Shelty View Post
      damn that thing is sick!

there is one near me for like 3500, same thing ,4 door 57 chevy, rebuilt engine and a 3 speed on the column, the only downside is its extremely rusty, even more rusty than my wagon. both rockers were bad, both fenders, all around the windshield and rear window was rusty.

Yeah seems like most of them are. That's what sold us on this car, if there is one speck of rust in it I can't find it and that is very unusual. Especially for a northern car. Rockers and fenders are replaceable, but when it starts around the doors front and rear window, unless its a 2 door or really rare or cheap, its usually parts car time.
      2013- Murphy, NC Road Side Fan Between Chattanooga & Charlotte 2014- Charlotte-Knoxville-Charleston: 2013 Ford Mustang GT

Comment

I do like the 4 door shoe boxes, this one should clean up easy. Cool score!
        If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

You want this hood?

BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Nice time capsule! This is been sitting for about 30 years that I know of with a "not for sale" sign.
            Last edited by Huskinhano; May 27, 2014, 09:07 PM.
            Tom
            Overdrive is overrated

Comment

saw a nice 55 2 door on CL the other day, all there, 8500 bucks, ran, all original too, had a killer patina, but wasnt rotted to the ground it seemed. ad didnt last long tho.
              Hellinor- 2005 Mustang GT-Bolt ons, in need of a turbo

War Wagon- 1966 Bel Air Wagon-355 Crate motor, 700r4, flies pretty good for a brick...

Comment

the Aussies don't seem to have problems with four doors, or being much bigger hoons than we are here in the states. I think it's time for us to stop being pussified and embrace the four door. Lord only knows how many of us were conceived in a four door!

Oh yeah, that is an awesome find!
                Last edited by Beagle; May 28, 2014, 05:24 AM.
                Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Love it great find.
                  http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
                  1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
                  ​​​​​​

Comment

Looks great.... My 57 Ford has primer spots applied by the previous owner on the original paint also, and I've been thinking about trying to blend some matching paint on there. I'm interested to see how yours comes out.

Comment

Originally posted by Beagle View Post
                      the Aussies don't seem to have problems with four doors, or being much bigger hoons than we are here in the states. I think it's time for us to stop being pussified and embrace the four door. Lord only knows how many of us were conceived in a four door!

Oh yeah, that is an awesome find!
                      I love em!!

Thanks for the words guys!! Looking forward to getting started!

Comment

4 doors are popular with some - and gaining - this is a great car and arguably the best year of the vintage.
                        our '54 4dr sold for $9k, but we had to be patient (one asshat offered $2500) the paint was all shiny, but far from perfect.

Great find!
                        There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Working...
                        X