Remy-Z's '73 Chevelle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Remy-Z's '73 Chevelle

I didn't intend to start this one until the Diplomat was finished, but I couldn't hold off any longer...and damn, do I regret that decision. Body guys/full resto owners...how bad is it, really?

Editor-at-Large at...well, here, of course!

"Remy-Z, you've outdone yourself again, I thought a Mirada was the icing on the cake of rodding, but this Imperial is the spread of little 99-cent candy letters spelling out "EAT ME" on top of that cake."

Re: Remy-Z's '73 Chevelle

It gets better already...went back out to get some more of the scrap vinyl material off, and I took a look at the back glass.

It was being held on JUST by a clear RTV substance. :o

"Remy-Z, you've outdone yourself again, I thought a Mirada was the icing on the cake of rodding, but this Imperial is the spread of little 99-cent candy letters spelling out "EAT ME" on top of that cake."

Comment

OUCH, man that looks bad. I remember rust like that when I lived back in NY.
      man I hate rust. can you save the back window area?
      or will you have to replace it? ???

Comment

Sorry to see that Remy. Guess there's no gettin' outa this one with a clean conscience, huh? JK. Uh, roadster anyone?
        Bakersfield, CA.

Comment

Man, I feel for you! I guess you can save it with a whole lot of welding and reconstruction.

Here's a new forum dedicated to 3rd generation A bodies, and most people are Chevelle owners there:

G3, Including 1973 to 1977 A-bodys. Chevelles, Monte Carlos, El Caminos, Laguna, 442, Cutlass, Malibu, GTO, LeMans, and other third 3rd generation A-bodys A-bodies 1974 1975 1976 SS 454
          President, Wicked Rides Poland

http://www.bangshift.com/forum/showt...eau-Club-Wagon

Comment

Remove all the windows and trim,and sandblast the whole roof with low pressure and patience.And take it from there..maybe you need another roof,or you can weld or get some body man to weld in the parts that are rusted through.

Comment

Whoa. Had a tetanus shot lately?
              "Somewhere the zebra is dancing". Garth Stein's The art of racing in the rain.

Matt

Comment

Boy it's kinda like asking the doctor "how bad is it" and getting a furoughed brow with silence.

Smith at Car Craft did an article about spray metal welding, this might be a candidate. You are definitely going to have to blast it. Good duct tape and heavy plastic sheet are your new best friends in this process.

Steve
                Well I have stopped buying stuff for cars I don't own. Is that a step in the right or wrong direction?

Comment

They all seem to do this with vinil tops. My 77 never had one so I dont have this problem.Ive seen worse repaired on these cars so I think it can be fixed .Do what everyone else says and mildly blast it and go from there. Theres this company that comes to you with a giant soda blaster that they claim wont hurt anything .It might not be much to just do the roof. The lead under the roof (if you find any) is because GM didnt finish under there if your car had a top from the factory.

Comment

I've seen worse. You will definitely need patches. Or you could replace the whole roof section. A major pain in the butt with the colonade window setup, but it can be done.

When I saw what you have, I thought it would worse. I've seen holes big enough to stick a grapefruit through. There's a guy on another forum with a 76 Caddy that has baseball sized holes at the base of the C pillar where the vinyl met the lower trim at the top of the quarter.
                    BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Possible salvation?!

It's a '76. $250 to get it out of the yard. Not sure where I'd do the swap, however...

Comment

Originally posted by Remy-Z
                        Possible salvation?!

It's a '76. $250 to get it out of the yard. Not sure where I'd do the swap, however...
                        Remy, brother, listen here, don't even think about it. Too bad you started this, but since you are into it here is what you need to do. I'm going to give you the seven step program save your ass from Chevelle roof hell.

1. Wire brush the loose scale.
                        2. Apply Rust Mort rust conveter. Scrub out most of the rust with rust mort and scuff pad.
                        3. Allow to dry completely
                        4. Prime with DP or equivalent epoxy primer
                        5. Fill all pits and areas with minor holes with Kitty hair or Mar Glass strand reinforced filler and grind with 36 grit.
                        6. Bondo as normal.
                        7. Prime and paint and new top and try to forget what you saw.

Replacing that roof will send you into a downward spiral you may never recover from, not to mention taking away time from that sweet Dippy. Do not sandblast, patch, weld, take out the window, or replace that roof. What you've done so far is less than an afternoon's time down the drain. To chase this with any of the things I've listed here as things not to do will involve weeks and lots of running around and $$$. Heed my words here, I have spoken.
                        -dulcich

Comment

i think he is talking about swapping drivetrains????right?????

Comment

Originally posted by fabricatordave
                            I don't know, I think he was going to swap roofs.

Comment

Originally posted by dulcich
                              Originally posted by fabricatordave
                              I don't know, I think he was going to swap roofs.
                              Nope, drivetrain swap. Would only have to do engine/trans and put new front seats in as the car sits (last time I saw it). Roof swap?! *shudders* I barely have the concept of how to weld...

Comment

Working...
                              X