No announcement yet.

'65 Ford Wagon - barn find

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Made some progress on the wagon. Totally fixed the exhaust problem - did it myself. I can't believe the prices here in Vegas for what used to be a pretty standard, non-mandrel bent dual exhaust. Last one I had done was ~$250 in Florida, manifolds to the tips including generic turbo mufflers. Cheapest I got quoted here was $475!!!

So Rock Auto got the call - OER muffler kit $70 (icludes 2 mufflers and all clamps and hangers), then local pieces to finish the job for ~$100. Here's the results:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Tips 1.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	78.6 KB
ID:	1180441 ​​​​​​​

Comment

Love this thing - I hope I have the same luck with the 390 in the 62 Tbird I just got in Phoenix, have not arranged it's long ride home just yet.
      There's always something new to learn.

Comment

So...finally got going on another project: A/C. I picked up a deal from a Florida company I've purchased from in the past, all cheap Chinese stuff but workable for the occasional driver. Here it is for $379 bucks: https://www.ebay.com/itm/173015997812

I got the compressor on today, but I'm being thwarted from rotating the compressor hose connections down to horizontal by my power steering pump filler tube. No problem, I have one with the tube in the middle of the reservoir that I can press into service later. Getting the offset and belt/pulley combo working was a small victory. Unfortunately I'm traveling tomorrow for a week on business so this is as far as I got:

Name:	65 AC comp1.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	142.6 KB
ID:	1205215

Comment

Resurrecting and updating this post.

Been 24 months, but in that time, I've moved 4 states away. Just getting back into this, but since last time I got the upholstery figured out. Local guy did a great job finding an old bolt and saved some of the embossed pieces that of course aren't reproduced.

Name:	seat 2.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	272.8 KB
ID:	1277810

Comment

...But the real thing I'm excited about is a different engine. I'm hip waders deep into another project when a friend of mine decides he's building a new motor for his '68 1/2 Cobra Jet Mustang. He's uncovered the original block, and now he has this nice 428CJ motor he has little use for (hehe). So I step up and tell him I'll buy it!

So I brought it home yesterday after we remove his original oil pan, the Ford 427 Side Winder intake he was using, and his high end roller rocker set up. I'm calling this thing the "Operation SCJ" , but the "S" in SCJ doesn't stand for Super, but rather "Stealth" as I'm dropping it in the '65 Wagon. And wifey doesnt know I gots it (wink). So I'm working from the mini storage, Lol.

Click image for larger version  Name:	S-CJ 2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	332.3 KB ID:	1277813
            Attached Files
            Last edited by hotrodfords; August 12, 2020, 04:16 PM.

Comment

Like the engine but as an old married guy let me tell you that you better fess up. She may or may not get grumpy about it but if you don't tell her there's no way you can share the adventure and that's The Best.

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
                Like the engine but as an old married guy let me tell you that you better fess up. She may or may not get grumpy about it but if you don't tell her there's no way you can share the adventure and that's The Best.

Dan
                Its all tongue in cheek. She already admits she owes me one...she brought home another rescue cat. That makes 3 cats total so when I drive this home it'll be my CAT.
                Last edited by hotrodfords; August 12, 2020, 07:23 PM.

Comment

Dan

Comment

That's a nice cat.
                    Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

You likely know this.. 58's 332 adjustable rockers work on making non adjusting rockers adjustable. Was told by a Ford guy. I compared the part nbrs, same rockers, different price, at the time (1974-5)

Comment

Love those old FEs, well except for the 200 lb intake manifolds and 75 lb water pumps.

Comment

Originally posted by Deaf Bob View Post
                          You likely know this.. 58's 332 adjustable rockers work on making non adjusting rockers adjustable. Was told by a Ford guy. I compared the part nbrs, same rockers, different price, at the time (1974-5)
                          Yep.

I have a set of old 427 adjustables/shafts and am debating putting them on. The CJ engine currently has a stout older Crane solid flat tappet that I'm removing (and keeping) and reverting back to the original CJ juice cam. Too much lump for a parts wagon, lol.

Comment

Originally posted by hauen View Post
                            Love those old FEs, well except for the 200 lb intake manifolds and 75 lb water pumps.
                            I busted a nut getting the intake into the back of my truck!

Comment

Originally posted by hotrodfords View Post

I busted a nut getting the intake into the back of my truck!
                              One word - ALUMINUM!

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by STINEY View Post
                                That's a nice cat.
                                Meow

Comment

Working...
                                X