Ford Bronco 1979

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ford Bronco 1979

I bought it this summer but just begun work on it. It's originally a 400M C6 NP205 truck. Dana 44 front and 9'' rear. The trans and t-case will stay but I bought a F-350 1990 460 to replace the 400. For the moment the tires are 35 inch BFG All terrain. You know it's a real truck when 35 inch tire fit with no mod! ;D

The plan in the future: New floor in the front
    4 inches lift kit
    4.10 gears with rear locker

But first, let's make it run! More pics when the swap will begin next Monday when the F 350 will be home.

Re: Ford Bronco 1979

sweeeet!
    I spent a lot of time working on one of those with my room mate in college.

we replaced the quarters, sanded the 'glass roof down smooth, sanded our hands off all over that huge body - and his friend laid down ford probe gt red on it (it had the fewest orange and yellow pigments of any red he could find)

We put true duals with glass packs on it, 35" tires with silver 5 spoke steel wheels that I've never seen before or since - but were on it when he bought it.

I rebuilt the motorcraft 2barrel for him - and tuned up the 400 - it ran pretty darned good....

Then he put a killer stereo in it - we're talking early 90's here - before every body and his brother had 2 amps and a sub in his car. That stereo kept us up till 4am one morning doing all the wiring and locating all the components - man did it sound good!

well - I'm sure with a 460 that thing will be nearly unstoppable - his was with the 400! ;D
    There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Originally posted by Darkmoumoute
      You know it's a real truck when 35 inch tire fit with no mod! ;D

thats what my friend with an 81 chevy pickup says too :D

Comment

Cool truck, I love the dentside Fords. It wouldn't surprise me, however if you discover that it already has a little bit of lift on the front. My '77 had 35" BFG Muds on it when I bought it, and I thought that the suspension was stock, but when I tore it apart for the 3/4 ton hub conversion, I discovered that the PO had relocated the upper spring mounts 2" lower on the frame, to give it a 2" lift. I added 2" lift springs while I was in there to get 4" total. Here is how it sits today with 36x12.5 Goodyear Wrangler RT/IIs:

Good luck on the build, keep us updated. Mine has the 351M, but it is also getting a 460 from an 83 F350. I'm also swapping in a 4-speed at the same time. Floors are rotted, but so are the rockers, and lower door posts, but I have a perfect cab that I will be swapping on soon. Mine had 3.55 gears stock, but I changed the D44 to 4.10s and swapped in a 4.10 geared D60 rear. Mucho better for turning these tires.

*thread hijack*
        I believe that all 4x4 trucks should have come from the factory with 35s. Here is my 05 F150, stock suspension besides a 2.5" front leveling kit. Clears 35x12.5s BFG Muds on stock rims with no issues. I also regeared to 4.56s to keep the motor in the sweet spot for towing.
        Pic was taken at Carlisle All-truck Nationals this past summer with my summer wheels and tires - 35x13.00 Nitto Terra Grapplers on 22" rims. They rub a little on the upper control arm, but not bad...

*Thread hijack over*

Still plays with trucks....

Comment

Originally posted by ford141
          Cool truck, I love the dentside Fords. It wouldn't surprise me, however if you discover that it already has a little bit of lift on the front. My '77 had 35" BFG Muds on it when I bought it, and I thought that the suspension was stock, but when I tore it apart for the 3/4 ton hub conversion, I discovered that the PO had relocated the upper spring mounts 2" lower on the frame, to give it a 2" lift. I added 2" lift springs while I was in there to get 4" total. Here is how it sits today with 36x12.5 Goodyear Wrangler RT/IIs:

Good luck on the build, keep us updated. Mine has the 351M, but it is also getting a 460 from an 83 F350. I'm also swapping in a 4-speed at the same time. Floors are rotted, but so are the rockers, and lower door posts, but I have a perfect cab that I will be swapping on soon. Mine had 3.55 gears stock, but I changed the D44 to 4.10s and swapped in a 4.10 geared D60 rear. Mucho better for turning these tires.
          Cool truck! I will look if the upper spring mounts are relocated.

The donor for the motor has arrived this morning, here a couple of pics of the beast.

Yeah, your eyes are not deceiving you! It's a brand front left fender! ;D

We also stripped the interior so we could work on the floor.

The work of the previous owner

And the others hole in the floor

Note the superb purple shag rug... ;D

In the rear, it's not to bad

Comment

OOOOOOOooooooo, an F350 4x4 parts truck... (drools). So what are you doing with the axles from the 350??? the D60/D70s would make a killer swap into that bronco!
            Still plays with trucks....

Comment

Working...
            X