Jeep CJ7 Rehab

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by STINEY View Post
    Were you able to get that eraser to remove the residue/glue/stickum stuff?

I have one and try as I might, it only seemed to work on the decals themselves, while still leaving the gunk to deal with.
    3M makes a removal product just for that. Can't remember the name off the top of my head. I'm remembering that it was sold specifically to remove the "woodgrain" decals off station wagons so body shops could fix and paint when necessary. I have used it many moons ago and I recall it worked well. You must have a local auto paint supplier and most carry 3M products. For sure worth a try.

Dan

Comment

• Late summer/fall brings a plethora of kid events as us Ohioians rush to enjoy outdoor-ness before winter incarcerates us once again. Somewhere in that mad schedule of Cross-Country meets, football games and marching band, soccer and guitar, trumpet and saxophone lies small increments of time to play with Jeep bits.

Test fit of front sheet-metal before body-working them and paint.

Three different Jeeps donated original sheet-metal to save this one CJ-7.

The passenger fender was never on a Jeep, it is a aftermarket thin-walled version.

What is this? Looks like the drivers fender must have been from a '81-'86 CJ7.

And even though the various vendors market this replacement fender as being for '72-'86 CJ-5 and CJ-7, the shock cutout is clearly for the later '81-'86 model raised front shock location.

Glad I caught this. Would hate to be hacking on freshly painted sheet-metal!

Last edited by STINEY; January 24, 2018, 03:13 PM.
      Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

• This is seriously jumping the gun - but have been strongly considering putting re-popped factory style Renegade decals on. There are several different versions, depending on model year. This site seems to have the most accurate reproductions and has a good reputation. http://goldeneagledecals.com/renegade.html

Not sure which year I like best yet.

What do you guys think?

'81-'82

The one below isn't factory correct, but I kinda like it. Looks like a '81-'82 with the hood stipes left off.

The '85-'86 version kinda looks like a big CheckMark down the side to me.

The '83-'84 one is catchy. I like the "stacked" section behind the front wheel well.

'79-'80 I like the hood treatment but am not sure of the dashes. Guess they aren't offensive.

'77-'78 I am getting conflicting info on this one. Seems like it may be hood decals only those years, and no side body stripes at all?

Does make it look somewhat "taller".

Either way, ironically the green hood that still needs blasted was one of these.

Just to round off all years of the CJ7 I'll include the '75-'76 Renegade. This one doesn't really appeal to me, but what the heck.

The tie-in to the cowl makes the nose of the Jeep look proportionally too long to my eye.

The first hood I started with was a Golden Eagle edition. I suppose it could be in the running. Kinda too Daisy Dukeish for my taste though.

I nearly bought a Laredo from a neighbor when I was 16 (except he wisely wouldn't sell it to a young driver)

It looked good in black, but that package has lots more accent stripes all over the body. Too many, too busy. I'm not paying for a Laredo decal set just to throw 1/2 of it away.

Comment

• I don't care which one you choose as long as you mix up the letters so it spells "Regenade". I just wonder how many folks would ever catch it. Though I'm not sure what a Regenade is.....

Dan

Comment

• Regen-ade? Kinda appropriate....hmmm....

Comment

• In my head it's "reg-n-ade" but suit yerself. I'm thinking this is pretty much a Jeep version of Johnny Cash's Cadillac.

Dan

Comment

• Gae
                Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

• Grenadee?

Comment

• ReJeep

Comment

• Voting for the blue one or at-least that graphic...

Comment

• Whichever suits your fancy..
                        Mine was an aftermarket patch paint..
                        Climbed real good!
                        Pick whichever makes it over the drifts or dunes

Comment

• Originally posted by Loren View Post
                          Voting for the blue one or at-least that graphic...

This one Loren? Not sure if you meant the Blue Jeep or Blue Graphic? (although the blue jeep has a blue graphic, further confusing me)

Comment

• Mmmm, the blue-painted one, w/ blue graphic. Reasons are, I think the upper/lower-case letters are cool (I did when they were new), the side stripes get to where there is just too much vinyl (the blue one has none, although there is a lot on the hood), and finally the different shades of the same color are a little more subtle which I kinda like. I suppose if the car color was yellow, the graphics might be tan or orange...or a different shade of whatever color. Black or white paint could use gray. Just opinion, of course.

Comment

• This one, gotcha.

And it seems the decals are limited to Blue or Gold for that style. Blue on white may look good. Gold on white turns on that Daisy Duke vibe again.....maybe I'm nuts on that though?

I do like that blue on blue, wasn't really planning on a color change to the body though..... yet.

Comment

• Done would be a nice feature to look forward to.

Comment

Working...
                                X