• Time
  • Show
Clear All

That's awesome.
    Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Originally posted by TheSilverBuick View Post
      That's awesome.
      Might be something you can try with your malfunctioning electric cut-outs?

Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

wait a minute.... Jeeps break?!!!!
        Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Trailered the drivetrain to work today, hung it from a forklift and used the hotsy on it during lunch. Looks much better, now I will be able to find the leaks on it, lol.

Also drained the front differential tonight, gears look pretty good. Original Dana gears marked 46 13 for a gear ratio of 3.54, about what I estimated from counting driveshaft/tire revolutions. Wish it were higher but at least the oil looked good with no water or dirt contamination.

Last edited by STINEY; July 24, 2015, 06:41 PM.

Comment

Hello AMC..........WTF? On a differential cover, seriously? Only on the rear diff, Dana used no such nonsense up front.

I hate this style of bolt.

Comment

Got the underbody 99% painted. Need to hit the places where the lift pads land, as soon as the other areas dry completely.

I can't stand to see a 'glass body with the raw fiberglass showing in the wheelwells and under-areas.....its like seeing a hot girl wearing grannie-panties.

Comment

Trying something different this go-around. Cleaned and painted the drivetrain all in one piece, then will replace gaskets. My thinking is it will be quicker to do everything at once while it is still together.

Plan is to replace the double seals at the transfer case/transmission mating surface, dipstick tube/shifter/kickdown plug seals on transmission, and rear main/pan/front main/valve cover on the engine. Plan to replace the freeze plugs on the engine too while they are relatively easy to reach.

Comment

Originally posted by STINEY View Post
                  Hello AMC..........WTF? On a differential cover, seriously? Only on the rear diff, Dana used no such nonsense up front.

I hate this style of bolt.

Torx bolts are the devil. I have no idea why they were ever invented. What was the need that a conventional allen bolt or regular bolt couldn't do? When I removed the ones on the 200-r4 pump, I used one of those impact driver things that as you hammer it the driver rotates counter clockwise to break them loose.

Originally posted by STINEY View Post

Might be something you can try with your malfunctioning electric cut-outs?
                  Its looking like it's just some carbon build up on the seal. The motor's work fine and if I "hold" the switch in the closed direction it silences up. I have them sitting on my work bench right now waiting for me to clean them up. I think there is a maintenance routine that is supposed to be done annually to them that I need to look up.
                  Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

I have to make a confession. Against my instincts and previous experiences, I fell to the temptation of using one of those "live help" online jeep vendors.

Well ok, it wasn't really "live"....Quadratech has more of "send us a question and we'll get back to you" dealio.
                    So 2 weeks ago I sent in a request to check the ID of the Dana 27 dust hub cap so I could see if they would fit my Dana 30 drive hubs.

Not getting any answer in a week, I just went ahead and placed an order for several gaskets and seals, and threw in a pair of the Dana 27 dust caps, thinking if nothing else they would be a clean start for fabbing up a pair.

Surprisingly I recieved a reply saying they checked and were sorry but had no covers listed for the Dana 30 but would be glad to help in any other way.

No schnit Sherlock, I knew there is no listing in anyone's computer, thanks for taking the time to stroll to the warehouse and measure one for me though.

Yesterday, USPS delivered a box. Guess what is a perfect fit?

Attached Files
                    Last edited by STINEY; November 5, 2015, 07:43 AM.

Comment

Send them a tin of Shinola. They could use it to train their staff.

Dan

Comment

I just may do that Dan.....real tempting. Or buy their product and remarket it myself. Too bad there is no demand, myself and 3 other weirdos do not constitute much profit margin.

Comment

Oh yeah....have to roll this out there.....BEAGS for the win!

Originally posted by Beagle View Post
                          Dana 25/27 cover work?

Comment

is that really chromed? that must be a Jeep-thing I don't understand.
                            Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; August 3, 2015, 02:23 PM.

Comment

No. I'm sure that's just a hard metal preservative coating.

Dan

Comment

Chinesium?

Comment

Working...
                                X