I bet that sounds sweet...

Leave a comment:

• fatguyzinc
    replied
    nice, my wife has a 75 astre- we just used the
    tried & true SBC swap. its a NASTY 327
    with 10-1 pistons, a set of 2.05 camelhump heads
    and a 280-.495-106 cam and 2600 stall in the th350
    with a 7.5 inch cosworth vega 3.73 rear end.

i'll give you 3 guesses what her favorite color is...

Leave a comment:

• Hoffbug
    replied
    This is the only GM H-Body window I have ever taken out so I couldn't tell if this was normal of not.. Im guessing it isnt structural but the previous owner went insane with some sort of sealant around the window It was gooped over the plastic trim clips even. we broke the piano wire 5 times and only got about a foot...

Leave a comment:

• Stewzer55
    replied
    Possible, GM pioneered using the windshield as a structural member on the Corvair starting with the first 1960 models I think anyway. Don't quote me on it, I'm just a young know-it-all...

Leave a comment:

• Hoffbug
    replied
    It was in there to a degree that I think it was. The factory sealant has been supplimented by something that had the consistency of a solid block of rubber.

Leave a comment:

• SuperBuickGuy
    replied
    the window was a structural member?

Leave a comment:

• Hoffbug
    replied
    I got the old windshield mostly removed from the DisAstre today... The previous owner may have gotten sealant from NASA cause this thing was beyond cemented in place.. Tools and techniques will not be listed other than to say the old Norm Coleman 08 campaign signs were put to good use once again. ... Thanks again to my helper who has asked to remain nameless.

Leave a comment:

• DanStokes
    replied
    I had the same issue with my 8.8. Pre-crushing is a great idea! Next time.

Dan

Leave a comment:

• Hoffbug
    replied
    Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
    someday I'll learn how to set up gears.... I took my diff to a friend to check how I'd done... sigh.
    I hear you.. The worst part seemed to be Crushing the crush sleeve.. Ive read it takes about 320 FT LBS of torque to even start it.. I always cheat and get it close first in the press..

Leave a comment:

• SuperBuickGuy
    replied
    someday I'll learn how to set up gears.... I took my diff to a friend to check how I'd done... sigh.

Leave a comment:

• Hoffbug
    replied
    I put the rear end together over the weekend..Used a T&D pinion depth kit and it worked great... cosworth Vega 7.5 rear end housing, 3.73 gears, Detroit Trutrac and Moser C-clip street axles...
    Last edited by Hoffbug; July 27, 2015, 06:54 PM.

Leave a comment:

• SuperBuickGuy
    replied
    perfect!

Leave a comment:

• Hoffbug
    replied
    Threw a rotor and brake on to check for wheel clearance.. I have .140 ( just a hair over 1/8") between the spokes and the caliper and a ton of room between the caliper and the inside of the wheel

Leave a comment:

• Hoffbug
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Hoffbug
    replied
    Front springs are in.. Had to get a little creative.. Used half of the internal spring compressor ran down through the top shock mount with a 3" spacer made of 5/8" ID pipe.. The spacer had the ends cut at an angle to try and force the spring to line up a little more straight.. Then I had to run a ratchet strap about 3 coils up from the bottom to pull the bottom of the spring inbound as much as possible... Once I had it compressed enough to start the nut on the lower ball joint I had to take a 1x3 plank about 3 feet long and drive the base of the spring into the pocket with a dead blow hammer.. I hope the ride height comes out good in the end cause I dont want to ever have to take these out...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X