The DisAstre project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
    A Jeep just came up for sale near me, it has 1 ton axles, air lockers, pretty much everything I've done to my FJ40.... for about 1/3 the cost of what I've done... speed costs money, how much do you want to spend?
    I'm guessing that there has been a lot more thought and originality in the FJ....
    Patrick & Tammy
    - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

Took the old tail panel out.. Man.. Drilling out spotwelds is one big suckfest..
      " You can sleep in your car, But you cant drive your house"

Comment

Panel is just kind of sitting in it new home for now.. Ill have to do some final trimming to seam the bottom before it can be welded in.

Comment

I think you'll need a different panel. The color match is WAY off.

I do like the lights better, BTW.

Dan

Comment

I actually have one painted orange that I bought at a swap meet several years ago. I was going to use it till I discovered that one little dent in it must have been a bigger dent at some point...The tailight housings wouldn't even go in flush.
            Last edited by Hoffbug; May 26, 2015, 07:47 AM.

Comment

Just harassing you.....

Dan

Comment

I know...I just thought It was Ironic...

Comment

I kind of like the 74 Vega's rear, not so much the 76 on.. first time I saw the Pontiac rear I said "Weak - somebody put Firebird lights on a Vega" .. then I saw the badging. I didn't know they made Astre's at the time but hey, I was probably only 10 or so years old. I kind of like them now. Are you staying with the big aluminum bumpers ?
                  Last edited by Beagle; May 26, 2015, 11:20 AM.
                  Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

A roll pan would be cool but it's just not in the budget....I'll stay with the stock bumpers but might research De-5 mile an houring them by making mounts that pull them in a little closer to the body...That seems ages away at this point.

Comment

i don't remember if there was a steel back to the bumpers, but I do think it would look cool as hell to de-5 them and tuck them as close as possible!
                      Patrick & Tammy
                      - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

This is one that was being made by Justin Kill some time ago.. it moved the bumper in 1.5" and shaved 21 Lbs off.

It eliminated all of this.. three layers of steel plate.

Comment

yep - familiar with those plates, and even the aluminum bumper is ungodly strong. The car can be totalled and the bumper still good.
                          Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Panel is welded in... Got most of the nasty dent and crease tapped out of the left side..Not too bad of a fit.. Certainly within spec of how sloppy they come from the factory ..

Comment

Engine assembly in progress...

Comment

The 215 normally has its takoff for oil pressure on the pad above the oil filter.. There are no other taps into galleries at all.. I had ordered a cover from Mike at TA Performance and there wasnt one machined into it since all other SB Buicks and V-6 engines have one on the block... Got a little creative and tapped a rear galley plug and added a 90 and extension to the top of the flange on the block... Gotta be able to read oil pressure.

Comment

Working...
                                X