No announcement yet.

The DisAstre project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My "good" Vega body was from Arizona - what a treat! I had a decent Michigan body before that but it still had rust coming in and that was in 1980 or so.

Dan

Comment

• looks like you're making great progress!
      Patrick & Tammy
      - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

• The V8 Vega that I built many, many moons ago had the top of the dash rusted out . Where the windshield meets the dash .

Comment

• The last of the " at home" rust repair has been completed...The rest (minor) will be done by the body shop.... Just have to figure out engine and transmission position/mounts and then it will be ready to go. Also have to figure out some sort of torque arm mount..but that isn't paint sensitive and could wait.
          " You can sleep in your car, But you cant drive your house"

Comment

• Looks great - and MUCH sturdier than what Chevrolet provided. It'll be fun to see the finished body.

Dan

Comment

• The Borgeson U joint is more compact and smaller in diameter than the Stock GM pot joint...also it doesn't have any rubber to melt or catch fire.

Comment

• thanks for the comparison shot! makes for a compelling argument, but have to look into a slip joint for installation....
                Patrick & Tammy

Comment

• Originally posted by silver_bullet View Post
                  thanks for the comparison shot! makes for a compelling argument, but have to look into a slip joint for installation....
                  I get about an inch when I collapse the Pot joint.. and the way the Borgeson U joint is designed I also get an inch by sliding both shafts all the way to the cross-pin ( 1/2" each).. In operation you cannot have the shaft extending beyond its collar or else it will interfere with the joint operation.. But should give me enough to install the shaft to the column when fully collapased and then Ill just adjust and tighten after.

Comment

• Back on the ground.. First time in 651 days.. Hopefully heading down to paint and bodywork this month.

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	steering_wheel_172.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	116.8 KB
ID:	1113253 ;this is the wheel I spoke of for the updated interior with the staple shifter...
                      Patrick & Tammy

Comment

• That might look good in there.. To sttart with I am going to use a GM Sport wheel like what was in the Vega GT and Cosworth..

But with one little touch... I found out the horn cap from a T-1000 Pontiac (chevette) fits perfect on it.. Just another little weird thing Ill put in to see if anyone notices.

Comment

• Sweet... that arrowhead button will probably fit the cavalier wheel if you should decide to swap it out...
                          Patrick & Tammy

Comment

• Off to Paint and Bodywork today.

Comment

• What color(s)?

Dan

Comment

• A lighter shade of Silver metallic,but something that would be easy to touch up. Still looking at exact paint code.

Comment

Working...
                                X