No announcement yet.

The DisAstre project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Been roughing in some gussets for the transmission mount and torque arm mount on the transmission crossmember.. Not very pretty... but it'll look better and be plenty strong when done .
    " You can sleep in your car, But you cant drive your house"

Comment

• Looks reasonably spiffy to me!

Dan

Comment

• A little more progress.

Comment

• Just a little non auto related update.. We lost Frank Zappa to Prostate Cancer 25 years ago today .Join me in showing Frank some love on your garage stereo this week .
          Last edited by Hoffbug; December 23, 2018, 12:00 PM.

Comment

• That's a damn shame. Last year I sailed thru prostate cancer treatments (proton beam at Florida Proton in Jacksonville) without so much as a side effect. Time and medicine march on. I hope all those who need treatment get it.

Dan

Comment

• Originally posted by Hoffbug View Post
              Just a little non auto related update.. We lost Frank Zappa to Prostrate Cancer 25 years ago today .Join me in showing Frank some love on your garage stereo this week .
              Forever immortalized in SMOKE ON THE WATER....

Comment

• I still have to rattle can the rear mount..But here is the trans crossmember, torque arm, and rear axle housing mount in all of its glory..Mostly.

Comment

• That should outta work! Looks good, too.

Dan

Comment

• Merry Christmas Bangshift freinds.

Comment

• Template for The Pusher fans. What material should I actually make this out of and what thickness? Only need a slight Bend at the top but probably need as stiff as possible to mount these heavy fans.
                      Last edited by Hoffbug; December 29, 2018, 07:22 PM.

Comment

• How will they attach? I keep a sheet of .063 aluminum around for this kind of thing. It's overkill usually, if not I'll roll a bead or two in it. Not much room between the fans for support tho.

I'm diggin' the little Astre!

Most fans I've mounted used through rad fasteners, if this is your case the thickness/strength isn't very critical IMO
                        Last edited by DirtyWhiteBoy; December 29, 2018, 07:58 PM.
                        A.K.A. Brian
                        Jack of many trades-master of none

Comment

• The radiator is really small and cheap so I don't want to mount these heavy fans through the fins.. I'm using them as pushers so basically the plate would mount in front of the core support. There is a lip at the bottom ....You can see where I have the fans outlined on the template so the bolts can go through the plate and lip at the bottom of the radiator opening.. then the upper part of the plate would have a bolt n each side.. (existing holes on core support)

is .090 or .125 aluminum getting too thick for a slight bend at the top?

Comment

• I don't usually work with heaver than .08. My stuff can't really go past .063
                            In general thicker will crack sooner as well as the higher number alloys are also less pliable.
                            That said, I'm sure you could put a lazy (not sharp) bend or offset in .090 in 3003 Aluminum.
                            Others here are much more qualified to answer engineering and/or real fabrication questions.
                            A.K.A. Brian
                            Jack of many trades-master of none

Comment

• Maybe I'll run up to the metal supply store on Monday and see what they have..I'm kind of green with this stuff without being able to hold it in my hand

Comment

• i used this one

no spacer mount direct to pulley and it kept a 10.5-1 327 with a 280/.505/108
                                and 2.02 heads on the 180 t-stat...... i had to make a shroud, but it worked
                                great even with the 'elongated postage stamp' radiator.

tried reversed scirocco fans first but kept overheating.

Click image for larger version

Name:	pazastrecline2.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	59.8 KB
ID:	1226027

Comment

Working...
                                X