No announcement yet.

The DisAstre project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My dual fan setup is very similar to your sketch. I am using 12" SPAL fans with the big motors so they are pretty heavy as well. I used .063 aluminum.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2616.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	688.4 KB
ID:	1226038

Name:	IMG_2617.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	750.6 KB
ID:	1226039

I realize you are setting up yours as pushers while mine are pullers but I suspect the mounting / load issues are similar. I have no idea what your core support is like so the rest of this might be of no use to you. I used 3 screws on each side (down the core support), 1 on the bottom in the center and 3 across the top. On the top I incorporated a stiffener which bolts to the core support on the sides.

Comment

• The R&D Department went back to work and came up with an improved design. Now with two mounting holes on the top, one on each side , and four along the bottom. The latest thought for material is 14 gauge stainless.
      " You can sleep in your car, But you cant drive your house"

Comment

• 14 ga stainless should be plenty stout IMO. Are you going to have it cnc cut?
        A.K.A. Brian
        Jack of many trades-master of none

Comment

• My novice skills as a fabricator really show here. I've literally been looking at this all day and it seems like most of the nibblers and cutting equipment Peter out at about 18 gauge stainless.. I figured I'd get the piece cut squared off as much as I can from the metal yard and then was wondering if I could attack the rest slowly with a jigsaw and a good blade?
          Last edited by Hoffbug; December 30, 2018, 05:46 PM.

Comment

• From my very limited exposure to cutting stainless - it seems to work harden with heat so as you cut it the metal heats up and requires more effort which in turns increase the heat from the cut. I don't know if you could flood the metal with coolant while you cut it. It seems to me you have lots to cut so I would be sure to have a good supply of blades.

Comment

• Make no mistake, I'm a novice too!

Yes, you can do it, but I rarely work with stainless, my tools don't like it much

I COMPLETELY understand and respect the "I can do that" thinking. I'm the same way.
              However, I have met a few cnc plasma guys in the last few years that are slowly convincing me to outsource certain things.

Bottom line, I would probably cut it myself if using aluminum. In stainless 16ga+, I outsource if it needs bends, or irregular holes.
              A.K.A. Brian

Comment

• We did LOTS of SS fab at work back in my working days. I was NOT a fabricator but got tips from someone who was so I'll pass along the limited knowledge that I picked up.

1) Get everything ready beforehand - drill bits, coolant, etc.
                2) Once you start cutting DON'T STOP!! As mentioned it'll work harden on you and if you've added heat during cutting once it cools a bit (like when you stop cutting) it gets hard as diamonds (well, that may be a bit of an exaggeration but you get my drift).
                3) Also as mentioned, sometimes outsourcing makes sense. Our local powdercoat guy has a water jet system and he did the spacer for my new turbo (basically an extra turbo flange) which he made using the flange gasket as the guide. No problem, it fit perfectly, and I don't know HOW long I'd have spent doing it by hand on the bench out of 1/2"SS - and it wouldn't have looked as good. The price was $35 including the computer work - worth it!

Name:	IMG_1839.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	274.8 KB
ID:	1226187

Dan
                Last edited by DanStokes; December 31, 2018, 12:46 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
                  The price was $35 including the computer work - worth it!

Name:	IMG_1839.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	274.8 KB
ID:	1226187

Dan
                  If I could find those rates it would be a no brainer. My experience with Minnesota companies is they dont even want to touch anything unless it's a big money production run. Steel center was closed today. I don't know anyone with a Lazer or water cutter. I need to get out more..

Comment

• I'd check with your powder coat folks. They're in the business of doing low volume runs and seem to do decent work for reasonable prices. Area 51 (the company I use) kind of backed into it as clients said they wanted stuff coated as soon as they could get it cut so he expanded to provide that service. I understand it's fairly common for powder coat shops to do this though not all do.

If you do have someone do it you either need a good scale drawing or (plan B) make the part out of heavy paper and they can profile it to make an exact copy in SS or whatever you want. Water cutting is a bit more flexible as they can cut pretty much any material but given that you'll be using SS either water jet or LASER will get 'er done.

Good Luck!

Dan

Comment

• I have two places that I go to for powder coat. One specializes in ceramic coat and the other is a retired guy that does it out of his garage. Neither one of them have any cutting equipment. The guy who does it out of his garage gives great attention to detail and has always given me a good result. I get a bit of a deal from him because I always bring the parts to him pre blasted since I have a cabinet in my garage.

The Steelyard actually has a laser cut service and there is also another Company that is on my way to work. I'll check with them during the week and see what they would get for a one-off in 14 gauge stainless.

hopefully the template should be good enough to make something off of ... since it is made out of Ram Board.. (the stuff construction companies use to cover up flooring during construction process so it doesn't get marred or scuffed-up.)
                      Last edited by Hoffbug; December 31, 2018, 04:54 PM.

Comment

• The guys I know aren't local to me. I met one at a Jamey Jordan class at Mittler Bros. and the other as a common connection on internet.
                        I can email a dxf file and the part gets mailed to me. If you can do some sort of cad drawing, it saves time and makes the cnc guy glad to deal with you :-)
                        Warbird designs on facebook-instagram is an engineer by trade and has a small machine shop with a nice plasma cutter in Akron, OH. Tom does nice work.
                        A.K.A. Brian

Comment

• Almost any welding and fabrication shop with a plasma cutter should be able to cut it for you....shop around...

Patrick & Tammy
                          - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

• I've used eMachineShop and read decent things about Big Blue Saw being online places you can send your layout to and they'll cut it. One thing to remember is that you'll pay setup fees anywhere so costs go down the more you make, not really applicable when you really only need one though.
                            Central TEXAS Sleeper
                            USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

• 3 quotes today. All $200 to 250.

Comment

• The least expensive of the three quotes was the place closest to my house and on my way into work. They worked up the cad file but have a 3-week lead time so I guess I'll work on my vintage snowmobiles till then in case it snows.

There has been a huge vintage snowmobile meet in Minnesota on Lake Waconia for the last 25 years. This will be the last year for the event in that location since most of the adjoining land has been sold for development and the park board has turned against the organizers of the show.

The ride around the lake had over 800 vintage snowmobiles participating last year. Sadly things that burn fuel aren't on the agenda on many of these progessive planning boards.

The Midwest Ride-In is the biggest vintage snowmobile show in the world. Each January, thousands gather with old snowmobiles to show, ride & swap old sleds.

Comment

Working...
                                X