No announcement yet.

The DisAstre project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ask TA Performance if they know. I'm betting marine but its not used on my Turbo6's.
    Central TEXAS Sleeper
    USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

• Originally posted by CTX-SLPR View Post
      Ask TA Performance if they know. I'm betting marine but its not used on my Turbo6's.
      I just sent an E-mail to Woody at the wedge shop.. I'll try Mike too..

The reason for all of this nonsense is heater hose routing.. My aftermarket intake doesn't have a water heated plenum like stock .
      " You can sleep in your car, But you cant drive your house"

Comment

• Wilcap/Huffacher intake?
        Central TEXAS Sleeper
        USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

• Originally posted by CTX-SLPR View Post
          Wilcap/Huffacher intake?
          Willpower from Maxwedge performance in Austrailia. They were the supplier to Ian Richardson when he still owned Wildcat engineering. Click image for larger version

Name:	20190211_090505.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	1.07 MB
ID:	1232095
          Attached Files

Comment

• I just ran an Offy which were readily available back then. This is a better looking piece and I'll wager it works better.

Dan

Comment

• The stock manifold on the Buick/Olds 215 has a water heated plenum . The takeoff for the heater core is on the back of the manifold. The passage for the bypass is off of the front of the manifold next to the Thermostat housing.

The coolant flows from the front of the heads into the intake manifold and under the plenum to the backside and that is where the port is for outlet to the heater core.. from there it flows forward into the crossover passage with the bypass port and thermostat outlets..

Click image for larger version  Name:	aluminum V8 cooling .jpg Views:	2 Size:	823.6 KB ID:	1232188

On my aftermarket intake there is no heated plenum.. It has a provision for the bypass on the front coolant crossover with the thermostat.. But no provision here for the heater core outlet.. The only other outlet I see is a threaded hole on the back drivers side of the intake that goes into a coolant passage on the back drivers side of the head.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IntakeManifold-BA.jpg Views:	1 Size:	52.0 KB ID:	1232189

Im wondering if would would be OK to pull the heater core supply from there without causing uneven cooling or problems? I also have to figure out temperature sensor placement for the EFI . electric fan relay and a gauge... would the temp of the back of the head be appreciatively different than the front crossover?

I think the EZ-EFI can run the fans so the supplied EFI temp sensor should work for both. ( Ill have to look again) But where to mount? and then there is a regular temp gauge sending unit to mount as well.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by Hoffbug; February 14, 2019, 11:54 AM. Reason: sorry for multiple edits. too many timeouts.

Comment

• I doubt the temperature difference is enough to matter. Go to a wrecking yard and get the thermostat housing off of a Discovery I (1994-1999) they have a provision for a temp switch for the fan. They use a separate sensor for the gauge in the manifold crossover, that's probably where they meant for it to go in the back of the manifold there. You could probably put a sensor right in the water pump if it didn't extend too far, iirc most of the older ones are 3/8 npt, whereas newer ones are m12x1.5. So, to summarize, temp sensor in the back, fan switch in the thermostat housing, temp sensor in the water pump. You'll be golden...maybe.

Comment

• We're using the EZ-EFI to run the fans on the Volvo so yes, it will do that. There's a wire for it in the harness (gray IIRC). The on/off temps can be manipulated in the programming. I'm running a separate sensor for the gage and the EFI though I'm not sure that's essential. BTW - the owner popped for the upgraded computer that allows adjustment of the actual tables and not just the sensor cals. Turned out to be a GOOD investment as the dyno guy made it run a TON better with the new brain. I'm looking for my pics of mine to see what I can see on that water pump hose fitting.

Dan

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	20190309_215226.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	1.03 MB
ID:	1236223The Cosworth parts car has a wee bit of snow on it.
                    Attached Files

Comment

• I think we're about done with snow weather - it's supposed to warm to near normal next week. The cold/warm cycle is 6 weeks so the next 'cold' will be well after we get temps that allow snow
                      Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

• I havent posted in a while.. General life activities have had me tied up and a "simple project" I started with a vintage snowmobile blossomed into a never ending saga...

I have the week off and need to rescue my Chevelle from storage where it has been languishing on and off for the last 5 1/2 years. So I need to clean up the garage and make a hole.

I pushed the DisAstre out and gave it a bath.. It has a bit of a stance but that will come down some. It currently has no steering, fuel system, Wiring, Hood, interior, or Bumpers
                        installed.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190526_171927_587[1].jpg
Views:	94
Size:	250.6 KB
ID:	1244140

Name:	IMG_20190526_171927_609[1].jpg
Views:	96
Size:	215.6 KB
ID:	1244139

Name:	IMG_20190526_171927_610[1].jpg
Views:	93
Size:	211.2 KB
ID:	1244141

Name:	IMG_20190526_171927_612[1].jpg
Views:	93
Size:	282.9 KB
ID:	1244142
                        Attached Files

Comment

• that looks so very good....
                          Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

• My first car was a '76 or '77 Astre, I forget now, in that GM mousy grey color. It never looked that good, probably even when new. Nice job!

Comment

• I've never had any luck with silver cars, but I must say your car and langleylad's car look great.

Comment

• Originally posted by tardis454 View Post
                                I've never had any luck with silver cars, but I must say your car and langleylad's car look great.
                                Thanks man ! I agree his car does look great

Comment

Working...
                                X