No announcement yet.

The DisAstre project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thanks for the compliments guys. I dragged my Chevelle home today it's time to get it up and running again. This was my first car I've owned it since I was 17.Click image for larger version

Name:	20190530_205909.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	1.27 MB
ID:	1244584
    " You can sleep in your car, But you cant drive your house"

Comment

• I got the Chevelle running last Saturday ...Need's some street miles, a nut and bolt check, and I'll have to sand the rust off of the rotors and rebed the brakes

Comment

• Had a busy July and August.. Did the Goodwood Festival of speed in England, Went drag racing with a friend, Took the Chevelle to The SummerNationals at the MN state fairgrounds, attended the NHRA event in Brainerd MN.. Ready to get back at it.

Going to measure and get a driveshaft made and mostly want to get an exhaust system installed before the snow flies. Found a guy who can do the headpipes in stainless and install O2 bungs for me.. Now I just have to find a muffler that will fit in those tight H-Body confines.. There is a small Magnaflow.. also looking at Spintech But those are some serios coin.. anyone have a preference?

Comment

• I did my Vega with a dual in/dual out crossways muffler - I think it was made for an early Mustang but that was MANY years ago. Anyhow, it worked really well and tucked up nicely.

Dan

Comment

• IIRC those were also available on 2nd Gen Firebirds and Camaros....

Patrick & Tammy
            - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

• Originally posted by silver_bullet View Post
              That's the concept. IIRC, the Camaro/Firebird muffs were a tad too long but maybe not - as I said, it was a LONG tima ago. Worth measuring.

Dan

Comment

• Feel free to mock my muffler mock-ups.. Click image for larger version

Name:	69263305_10219437641629632_2113794092033900544_o.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	174.1 KB
ID:	1250756 I shuffled these around under the car as much as I could trying to figure out ground clearance. In the end I settled on the simplest thing I could which was a pair of 14 inch long magnaflows. The exhaust is going to be fairly simple to start with and I'm sure I'll live to regret it. But I'm going to run stainless pipes from the exhaust manifolds and the Mufflers will be right in front of the rear axle with turndowns for now. With a panhard rod and fuel lines I'm just not comfortable with routing a dual exhaust around the rear of the axle at this point. I did find a guy locally who will bend it up in non show stainless for me and weld oxygen sensor Bungs in each side. Hoping to get this completed by October 1st.
                Attached Files

Comment

• Cardboard mockups are GOOD! At least they work for me.

Dan

Comment

• The Mufflers arrived today. Pretty compact. Hopefully they won't be too loud. I have to run an extra Buick 300 manifold over to the exhaust guy tomorrow to make sure he's ordering up the correct spacing on the flange clamp. Pretty busy September but hopefully we'll be able to get it done in a day sometime this month. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190904_085939_309.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	297.5 KB
ID:	1250914Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190904_085939_307.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	93.6 KB
ID:	1250916
                    Attached Files

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	image_64297.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	235.2 KB
ID:	1253083Click image for larger version

Name:	image_64298.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	94.5 KB
ID:	1253084Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20191006_141631_754.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	119.7 KB
ID:	1253085Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20191006_141631_750.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	221.0 KB
ID:	1253086Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20191006_141631_752.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	188.0 KB
ID:	1253087 The exhaust is on.. Mostly.. I found that Ill need to raise the front of the engine up for steering clearance.. About an inch.
                      I might also have to cobble up an oil pan for tie rod clearance.
                      Last edited by Hoffbug; October 6, 2019, 01:07 PM.

Comment

Name:	
Views:	0
Size:	118.5 KB
ID:	1256490
                        Last edited by Hoffbug; November 20, 2019, 04:38 PM.

Comment

• At a standstill till spring ...Ive got a $6,600 road assessment coming.

Comment

Name:	IMG_20200401_224153_741.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	70.0 KB
ID:	1266811
                            Attached Files

Comment

• Patrick & Tammy
                              - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

• do you have frame connectors? if not, get some as they
                                are 100% necessary on these little guys (any unibody truthfully)
                                and make a huge difference on driveability, predictability of
                                cars attitude when it gets out of shape, and longevity of the
                                platform.

i have had several customers argue with me over refusing
                                to do certain things (build/swap a 500+hp 454 into a 68 camaro for instance)
                                unless they do weld up frame connectors first--their argument is
                                always " its my car/my money, i get to decide what to do" and my reply is
                                "then go find someone else to do it, or do it yourself........"

Comment

Working...
                                X