Scott's 1967 GMC 1500 pickup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Scott Liggett View Post
    Although, it doesn't overheat. I found this peculiar fan installation today. It wobbles a bit too. Plan to take a closer look tomorrow.

I had some crap (fan spacer) like that on my '67. The additional leverage of the fan on the water pump took its toll quickly. When the water pump came apart the fan went through the radiator. Your fan looks to be flexible but installed backwards to flex at speed/rpm, mine was a clutch-type factory unit.
    Last edited by 68scott385; August 15, 2014, 07:49 PM.
    http://www.bangshift.com/forum/showt...n-block-wanted

http://www.bangshift.com/forum/showt...-Blue-Turd(le)

Comment

• Solid hub replacement for clutch fan? They used to sell those back in the day.....
      Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

• Dang thing's on backwards! Blows air out the front at idle, right?

Comment

• Originally posted by STINEY View Post
          Solid hub replacement for clutch fan? They used to sell those back in the day.....
          regular flex fan, solid hub replacement for clutch fans are larger in diameter...

Comment

• that spacer looks like an OEM gm part from the 60s, they were pretty common on V8 engines installed in cars that could have had a straight six.
            My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

• Originally posted by Deaf Bob View Post
              Dang thing's on backwards! Blows air out the front at idle, right?
              man I'm glad I didn't have a mouth full of coffee.... DING DING DING!
              Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

• blowing air backwards only happens if you have a reverse rotation fan. That fan backwards will just be very inefficient.
                My fabulous web page

Comment

• Originally posted by 68scott385 View Post
                  I had some crap (fan spacer) like that on my '67. The additional leverage of the fan on the water pump took its toll quickly. When the water pump came apart the fan went through the radiator. Your fan looks to be flexible but installed backwards to flex at speed/rpm, mine was a clutch-type factory unit.
                  I have run the same set up, hub and fan, on the Impala for 15 years. Never had an issue. The Caprice has had something similiar dince I bought it. This is what all cars had before clutch fans.
                  BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

• That's an aftermarket flex fan, most 60s GMs that didn't have a clutch fan, had a 4 blade fan with solid blades. Shaped like an X. I had a pile of about a dozen of them at one time.
                    My fabulous web page

Comment

• ^^ Furd did same thing.

On the backwards thing, I bet it will settle down flipped around and not wobble as much. If it was cooling okay with it the way it is, should work great the other way around!
                      Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

• Got to salvage yard again today. Picked up a power steering pump and brackets from a '87 pickup. Also got the upper alternator brackets. The truck was missing it's crank pulley. Will have to see about that. Since the donor truck was a 4x4, couldn't get the box. They have a different pitman arm setup. Will need to get one from a 2x4 truck. Most of the trucks at the yard are 4x4's. May have to wait on that. I was thinking if I used an earlier truck's box, I will need to get adapters for the hoses. Not a big problem.

The old bench seat, though it looks good, it isn't so much to sit on. The springs are broken on the driver's side and I literally bounce my ass off the top of the speaker box under the seat. Not too comfy.

So, while at the yard, I found a donor vehicle for new seating arrangement. I am stealing my friends really great idea that he used in his '52 Suburban. Only, just the front seats. I will post up my progress with that later. Total investment was $84.00 on everything I needed.

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

• doesn't your truck have a short water pump?
                          My fabulous web page

Comment

• Originally posted by squirrel View Post
                            doesn't your truck have a short water pump?

Yes it does at the moment. But, changing a water pump is no big deal in order to have a much bigger selection of pulleys and brackets I plan AC in the future as well and I don't plan on buying stupid expensive and useless chrome and billet crap.

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

• I just sold a guy with an early 2wd blazer my short water pump A6 compressor brackets and pulleys...dang...
                              My fabulous web page

Comment

• My junkyard crawling for me. I got a nice overflow tank from an '87 Chevy pickup to replace the crappy universal one with the duct tape lid. It is better looking than the pic shows cause of my greasy paw prints all over it. Same truck gave up it's power steering pump and brackets for a future upgrade.

Other changes under the hood are taking off the Edelbrock 1406 and installing a warranty return Holley 600 part # 0-80457, from work. See the bent choke cover? The Eddy worked fine, started up and idled great, just lacked the snap when you want to hammer it. I also swapped the heater hose and temp sensor in the intake manifold, swapped the valve covers side to side so the oil filler cap isn't under the brake booster. You like the four Mallory wires and four Accel Super Stock wires? A fix for later. They work just fine for now.

I also replaced the front brake shoes. Someone repacked the bearings, but left the worn out brakes. Um, OK.

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X