No announcement yet.

Scott's 1967 GMC 1500 pickup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crawled into engine compartment to do some work. These headers suck beyond words. But, was able to see behind engine for casting number. There is none. It just says GM 5.7 and that's it.

It has VLO45832 on the front pad, nothing else.

Driver's side dipstick.
    BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

• I think that's probably good news and a roller cam ready block? I'm not sure if they were stamped 5.7 before then because nobody knew or cared what the hell 5.7 meant?
      Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

• does it have the boss where a pass side dipstick would go? bulge on both sides of the pan? or just on the driver side?
        My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

• Originally posted by Scott Liggett View Post
          I realized I am going to need taller jack stands if I want to hold this truck up by it's frame. My current ones at full extension barely hold the front tires off the ground, if at all.
          I have some 14" long 6"x8" wood blocks. I put my jack stands on top of them to gain height, and they're very steady! Tried to shake the car hard while they sat on the blocks, and no movement.
          Last edited by 1946Austin; August 31, 2014, 08:22 AM.

Comment

• Anyone know what year these GM rallys came on? I found these on a '58 GMC pickup and they are exactly what I am looking for.

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

• The truck had Mr Gasket had the paper type gaskets and they were blowing out. So, I went to take out the headers to change them. Then the snow ball started rolling. Beyond the fact it was a major fight to get them out as well as the spark plugs.

After a bunch of running around, digging for tools, and looking at possible buying more tools, I finally got back to the assembly. I took a wire brush on a drill, a flap disc on the grinder, and sand paper to knock off the worst of the rust on the headers. Then I repainted them.

These are just plain weird looking headers Anyone else seen these type before. Couldn't find a name or part number on them. I was thinking custom made, but the pipes show no seems. The collector set up is just bizarre.

Got the passenger side in today and decided to finish everything on that side including new plug wires. I also fixed the choke power wire. It was two piece that were just twisted together. Moved the pcv to the back of the carb. The brakes are on a fitting behind and below the carb.

Something to note for header clearance. NGK's are the shortest plugs ever. Shorter than Accels' shorty plugs. These are NGK UR5's for the iron heads. I will get a pic to show comparison.
              Last edited by Scott Liggett; August 31, 2014, 08:26 PM.

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

• Flowtech afterburner headers...The rallys came on GM 4x4 trucks from 75 to 88 i think... rear derbys were closed, fronts open for the locking hubs and bolted on...those 6 lug derbys you have pictured were from the 88 or so light duty 2500 trucks and snap on to the lug nuts i think...
                Last edited by silver_bullet; August 31, 2014, 06:44 PM.
                Patrick & Tammy
                - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

• Originally posted by silver_bullet View Post
                  Flowtech afterburner headers...The rallys came on GM 4x4 trucks from 75 to 88 i think... rear derbys were closed, fronts open for the locking hubs and bolted on...those 6 lug derbys you have pictured were from the 88 or so light duty 2500 trucks and snap on to the lug nuts i think...
                  Yep. you are right. They are Flowtech Afterburner headers for 73-87 pickups.

Free Shipping - Flowtech Afterburner Headers with qualifying orders of $109. Shop Headers at Summit Racing.

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

• Notice how much shorter the NGK's are over the Autolite 26's.

I got it all back together again. And running!!

I also painted the inner fenders, but the paint came out weird looking. I also painted the hood latch.

\
                    Last edited by Scott Liggett; September 1, 2014, 08:27 PM.

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

• COOL!

Did you mount the alternator low or was it already that way when you bought the truck?
                      http://www.bangshift.com/forum/showt...n-block-wanted

http://www.bangshift.com/forum/showt...-Blue-Turd(le)

Comment

• Originally posted by 68scott385 View Post
                        COOL!

Did you mount the alternator low or was it already that way when you bought the truck?

I got it like that. But when I install power steering, it will be moved to the high position.

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Scott Liggett View Post
                          Anyone know what year these GM rallys came on? I found these on a '58 GMC pickup and they are exactly what I am looking for.

That's a #998 15x8, 10 slot 4x4 Rally wheel from 74-88 trucks, and up to 91 on Suburbans/Blazers.
                          The center caps are from 88-98 16x6 1/2 4x4 wheels w/threaded lugnuts/lugnut covers.

2wd Rallys are 5 lug, 16 slot, 15x7 and 15x8.

15x7 5 lug #994..

15x8 5 lug #1095

88 5 lug caps came in black...

89-99 5 lug came in black, and chrome similar to the 6 lug ones in your picture...

Comment

• Scott - I can't see the wheel wells all that well but I think the paint has blushed. It sometimes happens if you paint in high humidity and the evaporation of the solvent draws water vapor to the drying paint and causes a blush, especially noticeable with dark colors. When the weather cools and/or dries out a bit you may want to reshoot it and see if it fixes the issue - I expect it will.

The truck is looking good and it sounds like you're fixing the little niggily things that'll drive ya nuts.

Dan

Comment

• Didnt think about the higb humidity which it was as it was raining before and after painting.

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

• This is starting to take shape and looking good Scott !

Comment

Working...
                                X