Scott's 1967 GMC 1500 pickup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by tardis454 View Post
    That's a #998 15x8, 10 slot 4x4 Rally wheel from 74-88 trucks, and up to 91 on Suburbans/Blazers. The center caps are from 88-98 16x6 1/2 4x4 wheels w/threaded lugnuts/lugnut covers. 2wd Rallys are 5 lug, 16 slot, 15x7 and 15x8. 15x7 5 lug #994.. 15x8 5 lug #1095 88 5 lug caps came in black... 89-99 5 lug came in black, and chrome similar to the 6 lug ones in your picture...
    Thanks for the info.
    BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

• Anyone ever change out the windshield on these trucks? I have a chance at a couple good ones for $36.

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Scott Liggett View Post
        Anyone ever change out the windshield on these trucks? I have a chance at a couple good ones for $36.
        not too difficult if you replace the gasket at the same time... probably not a bad idea to pick those babies up! easier to tint the top 6" before installation...
        Patrick & Tammy
        - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

• Wish I could get a good windshield for $36! I have a rock chip that's bugging me on my '69!

Comment

• Originally posted by 1946Austin View Post
            Wish I could get a good windshield for $36! I have a rock chip that's bugging me on my '69!
            Bangshift... home of the derail. Have you tried any of the junk like Safelite uses (clear bonding agents / adhesives )?

Scott, I think that is a gasketed type that you put in with a rope in the seam method. I'd take a couple of new blades for your razor knife and plan on cutting the new one out at the yard... really, I'd probably do both of them with a knife and use a new gasket. I've seen them put in and it doesn't seem as tough as the glued in kind.

Found a video of the installation, they make it look pretty easy both ways but old gaskets get hard and stubborn in my world.

Last edited by Beagle; September 2, 2014, 05:43 PM.
            Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

• I don't know what window's go for on those trucks, but the most I've ever paid for a windshield, installed, was $140. Last one I got was for the Skylark in 2012, with built in antenna.
              Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

• At the junkyard we used oil and a glass knife to cut the glass out of the gasket.
                The glass guy used rope, soap, and soapy water in a spray bottle to install them...

There's an old trick to installing a windshield that uses a rubber trim and no adhesive to hold it in. The soapy string trick is a classic windshield installation tool.

Comment

• having a helper is important....
                  My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

• Originally posted by 1946Austin View Post
                    Wish I could get a good windshield for $36! I have a rock chip that's bugging me on my '69!

One has a rock chip, the other has a scratch from the wiper wiping with no blade. Kinda bummed.

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Beagle View Post

Bangshift... home of the derail. Have you tried any of the junk like Safelite uses (clear bonding agents / adhesives )?

Scott, I think that is a gasketed type that you put in with a rope in the seam method. I'd take a couple of new blades for your razor knife and plan on cutting the new one out at the yard... really, I'd probably do both of them with a knife and use a new gasket. I've seen them put in and it doesn't seem as tough as the glued in kind.

Found a video of the installation, they make it look pretty easy both ways but old gaskets get hard and stubborn in my world.

I planned to cut them out with my badass box knife. My gasket is hard as rock. LMC truck has a new one for $25.00. My truck, being a custom, has the stainless trim around the windshield on the rubber seal. That presents more work

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

• Miracle knife works good once you get it in..blade flexes .. I have cut into metal with them on glued in ones.. The serrated blade helps alot to cut thru the rubber.. I got mine from a 2nd hand store and the scrap yard when the demoatrater junked his f'd up ones.. They still cut!

Comment

• with the stainless trim on the windshield...the trim goes in the rubber before you put the whole assembly into the truck. And if you get the gasket for a plain jane truck, you can leave the stainless trim off. It's more work to install it, but it looks good too.
                          My fabulous web page

Comment

• Whole at the yard yesterday I formulated a plan to move the engine forward. I will do it when I change to my 4 spd OD trand. I can get the engine mounts for a V8 truck, the crossmember for a th350 and the front driveshaft all for about $50. The only SM420 trans mounts I will need to cut off are my own during the swap. I will see if the clutch linkage is different too. The trans tunnel is bolt in and they have a bunch for auto trans trucks I can modify for the new trans

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

• Your experience at making your own clutch linkage rods ought to help. The pivot point on the frame will have to move forward for sure though.
                              Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

• Do the floors for auto trans trucks unbolt? I though it was only the SM420 equipped trucks that it unbolted, the "flat" floors are one piece with no opening.
                                My fabulous web page

Comment

Working...
                                X