No announcement yet.

Scott's 1967 GMC 1500 pickup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MICE?? hope not cuz that smell LIIIINGGGGERSSS!

Comment

• More better!

Dan

Comment

• Originally posted by Deaf Bob View Post
        MICE?? hope not cuz that smell LIIIINGGGGERSSS!

No varmints. Just leaves.
        BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

• Scott, is that water pooling in the front of the bed? If so, there are 2 approx 1/4" drain holes in the very front corners of the bed. One on each side. They get plugged with leaves and dirt very easily, but its pretty easy to keep them open by poking them with something.

Easy way to keep the rust monster at bay.

Originally posted by Scott Liggett View Post
          Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

• Originally posted by STINEY View Post
            Scott, is that water pooling in the front of the bed? If so, there are 2 approx 1/4" drain holes in the very front corners of the bed. One on each side. They get plugged with leaves and dirt very easily, but its pretty easy to keep them open by poking them with something.

Easy way to keep the rust monster at bay.

It was draining at the time the pic was taken. I literally had just degreased and hosed down the inside of the box five seconds before I took the pics. The front of the box still is wet in my picture. There isn't so much as a random bolt in the bed....yet.

The bed is still very solid. I want to keep that way as long as possible.

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

• How's the heater work now? Did you also change the thermostat to the higher temp one?

I know that having the 1/8" hole drilled in my thermostat causes very slow warm ups in the FLORIDA winter - In Nebraska, I'd probably just wait for the thermostat to open to get the bubble out of the cooling system rather than delay the heater working!

Comment

• When are you getting a gun rack?
                Tom
                Overdrive is overrated

Comment

• Originally posted by yellomalibu View Post
                  How's the heater work now? Did you also change the thermostat to the higher temp one?

I know that having the 1/8" hole drilled in my thermostat causes very slow warm ups in the FLORIDA winter - In Nebraska, I'd probably just wait for the thermostat to open to get the bubble out of the cooling system rather than delay the heater working!

It moves air much, much better; but I don't think it is very hot air. It 45* this morning driving to work and I had it on full blast. Should've baked me before getting to work. It didn't. It looks like the heater hose routing is backwards. Water pump to bottom of core, top of core to intake. I will fix that this weekend when I put the hotter thermostat back in it for the winter.

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Scott Liggett View Post

It moves air much, much better; but I don't think it is very hot air. It 45* this morning driving to work and I had it on full blast. Should've baked me before getting to work. It didn't. It looks like the heater hose routing is backwards. Water pump to bottom of core, top of core to intake. I will fix that this weekend when I put the hotter thermostat back in it for the winter.
                    There is always the adjustable air flow approach - cardboard in front of the radiator cut to different lengths to give more or less cooling.

Comment

• Originally posted by cstmwgn View Post

There is always the adjustable air flow approach - cardboard in front of the radiator cut to different lengths to give more or less cooling.

I have thought about that. This truck has a new massive four core radiator. That engine isn't taxing it at all.

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

• On the 77 flatbed, I put 1/4 of the rad covered to get winter heat.. You make me wonder if I got my hoses backwards.. Used to be warmer without the cardboard..

Comment

• I block all of Truck's grille in the winter. Diesels don't like to warm up. It looks like they were planning that as a hunk of cardboard fits nicely between the grille and the rad but pretty much out of sight from outside the truck.

Dan

Comment

• Originally posted by Scott Liggett View Post

I have thought about that. This truck has a new massive four core radiator. That engine isn't taxing it at all.
                            My 67 C10 truck has one as well, I had to install it too keep it cool when the A/C was running. It used to have a 3 row and it warmed up pretty quick. With the 4 row it would take 10+ minutes to get hot air out of the dash. However, the air was definitely "hot" once it reached operating temp. The factory heaters in these trucks worked very well (actually, so did the factory air systems), you should have to turn it down after a while.
                            Last edited by Jesse James 80; September 16, 2014, 02:47 PM.
                            1967 Chevrolet C10 SWB - 350/700R/3.73
                            1965 Ford Mustang - 289/T5/3.25
                            1968 Pontiac Firebird - Project Rusty Chicken

2014 HRPT Short Haul; 2015, 2016, & 2018 HRPT Long Hauler

Comment

• When in Alaska I had to cover 1/2 my Suburbans radiator with cardboard so it would get warm for me and the kids....
                              If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

• It's been running right at 170 according to the gauge the last couple mornings at 45*. It does take a while to warm, but so does my Caprice.

You can see my hose set up. Before you ask, Yes, the valve is open. Both hoses get warm to the touch, but not hot.
                                Last edited by Scott Liggett; September 16, 2014, 04:36 PM.

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X