Scott's 1967 GMC 1500 pickup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Scott Liggett View Post
    If it snows so much around here that I can't get down the road in town, I am not driving.
    Best buy your snowshoes now! .. Or skis?? Since you like motors, Ski-Doo?

Comment

• The one time I drove a pickup truck in the snow, I had about 400 lbs of granite blocks in the back of my truck for traction. It helped - but my tires were low on tread, so I still had trouble - they compressed the 2" of snow into a quarter inch of ice.
      If I lived where it snowed a lot, I would definitely research and spend the money on what works the best.
      Last edited by yellomalibu; October 8, 2014, 05:24 PM.

Comment

• Chain infused tires! ... Are studs legal in Neb?

Comment

• Originally posted by Deaf Bob View Post
          Best buy your snowshoes now! .. Or skis?? Since you like motors, Ski-Doo?

YOu must think it snows around here like upstate New York. It doesn't. The fact is, I live in a state where they have snow equipment to take care of the roads. oI live at the intersection of two state highways. One of which is the main business street in town. Last year, they were plowed before the sun came up after every snow storm. Oh, BTW, I did drive my Caprice all last winter on it's wide ass BFG's.
          BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

• The 2 wintertimes I went thru Nebraska the snow was over a foot deep, yep the roads were plowed... But still WHITE!

Comment

• Originally posted by Scott Liggett View Post

YOu must think it snows around here like upstate New York. It doesn't. The fact is, I live in a state where they have snow equipment to take care of the roads. oI live at the intersection of two state highways. One of which is the main business street in town. Last year, they were plowed before the sun came up after every snow storm. Oh, BTW, I did drive my Caprice all last winter on it's wide ass BFG's.
              We actually havent gotten that much snow lately!
              Local person
              sigpic

Comment

• we get more ice than snow it seems... I'm probably thinking more about my circumstances than yours, but I won't stay home just because there is ice on the ground. I keep a blanket and food in the truck, definitely putting sand in it this year. Mine got loose on the ice last year at about 45 mph and they take forever to stop when they are pirouetting (however you spell that). Carry on!
                Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

• Samsonite!
                  My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

• X2 on Jim's comment, though I'd exchange "Samsonite" for a moving van.

Dan

Comment

• some of us enjoy the challenges of winter driving! Four wheel drive means Four wheel drifting! we get to practice drifting/powersliding two to three months a year without burning up a tire budget! it's amazing how many "claim" that you can't drive on snow and ice! we beg to differ! we moved back home from Virginia because, "There's No Place Like Home!"
                      Patrick & Tammy
                      - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

• Now NC IS home! Don't miss MI winters AT ALL. We do, however, miss our MI buddies.

Dan

Comment

• Took the truck on it's first real road trip yesterday. 250 miles round trip to Lincoln to hang with DG tuning on a car. I wasn't really speeding. Mostly was getting passe on the 75 mph freeway. I am sure the engine was over 3000 rpm. 3200 more likely. This truck so needs my other four speed OD trans.

But overall it drove just great. Drives smooth and straight. Needs very little input to keep it in the lane. At 75 mph the wind noise takes control. Not surprising. Same on all old cars. Got about 14 mpg. Not bad. Carb is untuned, thrown right on the truck. Secondary spring is too light, gets black smoke when I hammer it.

The new tires rode great too.
                          Last edited by Scott Liggett; October 20, 2014, 08:41 PM.

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

• Sounds like a pretty solid ride going into winter.
                            Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

• I am most happy about its reliability and that I dont need to do suspension work yet. I did forget to mention the teeny tiny battery croaked in the drive thru Sunday. Pushed it out of the way. I walked three blocks to Napa to get a real one. Fixed it in the street and before I could close the hood someone else at Arbys was asking for a jump start.

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

• That's pretty good mileage at 75 mph. Mine seems to get best mileage at around 60-65 mph. It drops 1-2 mpg as I start trying to cruise at 75-80 mph. I'd like an OD also, but hate to remove a solid TH400 to swap it.

Comment

Working...
                                X