No announcement yet.

Scott's 1967 GMC 1500 pickup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Check the balancer diameter.. 305 6 3/4", 350 8"?
    Can use either or but it might give you an idea...

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel View Post
      I was going to mention that....as I recall, the 67-72 trucks that came with the V8 had the engine mounted further forward, and the six had it mounted back like that. There's a good chance that your truck came with a six, and someone swapped in the engine using the original six cylinder mounts (it's a bolt in).

I am not sure how that's possible as the transmission is bolted to the frame rail at the bellhousing. Not sure how the trans can be mounted farther back as the shifter comes right out it's top.
      BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by tardis454 View Post
        Check the balancer diameter.. 305 6 3/4", 350 8"?
        Can use either or but it might give you an idea...

8" balancer is on it with matching timing tab.

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Anyone know how to recurve one of those Mallory Unilite distributors? This stupid thing has 26* of advance, which only allows me 10* initial. I want about 18* in the distributor and the same initial for better throttle response and a bit more hp.

I found this on Summit.
          Free Shipping - Mallory Ignition 29014 with qualifying orders of $99. Shop Distributor Advance Kits at Summit Racing.
          Last edited by Scott Liggett; August 5, 2014, 08:06 PM.

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Liggett View Post

I am not sure how that's possible as the transmission is bolted to the frame rail at the bellhousing. Not sure how the trans can be mounted farther back as the shifter comes right out it's top.
            The V8 in your truck is mounted in the six cylinder position, further back than the V8 was when installed by the factory. They made a few different crossmembers.
            My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

The V8 in your truck is mounted in the six cylinder position, further back than the V8 was when installed by the factory. They made a few different crossmembers.

I don't get it either - doesn't the shifter, which is attached to the top of the SM465, come through the same hole in the floor no matter what motor? is it a different shift lever?
              Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

yeah, its kind of strange...
                Attached Files
                Last edited by squirrel; August 5, 2014, 10:28 PM.
                My fabulous web page

Comment

The 5.0 in my old Blazer had 5.0 cast next to the distributor (which you said you can't see on your truck). The 305 Goodwrench engine in the 84 C10 has "305" cast into the side of the block, clearly visible from underneath... I "think" it's on the driver's side.

...but the 8" balancer leads me to beleive it's a 350. That's great.

Love the truck.

The granny low is great for when there's a trailer behind you, saves riding the clutch. Although I've found in slippery conditions it's worthless; tire spin and wheel hop don't help anything.

Comment

Got yourself a nice truck there Scott! I've had a few pick ups and vans. Once you have one, you wonder how you did without one. As far as gas mileage, it is what it is. They all suck. My 04 Trailblazer, doesn't seem to make any difference whether I use OD or not. Speed makes more of a difference though, big time. Enjoy the truck and use it for what it was built for. Hint, with the hitch, small utility trailers are another great, must haves. I have one from Home depot, like 1200 GW, it's been worth it's weight in gold.
                    Tom
                    Overdrive is overrated

Comment

...although having a pickup truck kind of mostly eliminates the need for a small utility trailer. At least it does for me.
                      My fabulous web page

Comment

Originally posted by Huskinhano View Post
                        Got yourself a nice truck there Scott! I've had a few pick ups and vans. Once you have one, you wonder how you did without one. As far as gas mileage, it is what it is. They all suck. My 04 Trailblazer, doesn't seem to make any difference whether I use OD or not. Speed makes more of a difference though, big time. Enjoy the truck and use it for what it was built for. Hint, with the hitch, small utility trailers are another great, must haves. I have one from Home depot, like 1200 GW, it's been worth it's weight in gold.

I would rather spend the money on a car trailer.

The deciding factor for buying a truck was last year when I was looking for a fridge for my new house. I ended up paying $175 for the fridge and $150 for the Uhaul to go get it.

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

yeah, its kind of strange...

ah ha, learned something new - thanks
                          Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Trucks are awesome! I've got a 1968 Chevy C20 I picked up on ebay from California, no engine or tranny, but also, no rust!, a nice change from what is available here in the Midwest. I've got a 468BBC and 700R4 to go in. Just getting started, so will be starting a build thread soon.
                            Hot Rod Power Tour...As much fun as you can have in a car with your clothes on!!
                            Gregg and Deb Miller
                            Verona, Wi.

Comment

Nice. I do believe the '67 "slant-nose", small-window is the prettiest of the type. I was collecting up stuff to build one about ten years ago and had the Chev versions ('67 C10 and C30) going, but backed out and did an '88 instead which at the end proved a poor decision. I still have an assembly manual (a 3 1/2 lb book) if you want it, has lots of illustrations plus wiring diagrams.

In CA the state (whoops, State) benefits from the belief that anything with a pickup box (incl. El Camino) is a commercial vehicle and should pay dearly for the privilege of existence. Our $242 registration fee this year for our '91 2500 will help support retirement funding for state employees who last worked (and negotiated contracts) years ago, and not fill any potholes.

Comment

Yeah, can't argue too much about the trailer with a PU. I could use a car trailer right now, I'm going to have to rent one very soon to move two cars. I've been thrashing on my wife's 69 Mustang to get it on the road. Then the heater core springs a leak and the trans doesn't want to shift out of first. The other day the new Petronix crapped out.
                                Tom
                                Overdrive is overrated

Comment

Working...
                                X