No announcement yet.

Scott's 1967 GMC 1500 pickup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

registration sure is different in different states. AZ used to have "non-commercial" plates on half ton pickups, and commercial plates on all 3/4 ton and larger. Then about 25 years ago they decided that pickups are cars, except for 1 tons and larger, which are commercial trucks.

And the registration fee for normal ones is based on age, when they get to be old enough for me to like them, the cost is $20/year, but you can buy either one or four more additional years for $10/year. Commercial plates add a weight fee, but it's less than $10/year on a one ton truck.
    My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Bought my car trailer after my home made one of 20+ years got bent.. $1700 2 years old. Had to put 2 tires on it right away and 2 more later. We use it alot..

Comment

Bought my car trailer in '99, and used it to go racing. Now that I'm not racing, I had stake pockets welded to the sides, and use it for just about anything; helping people move, dump runs, carrying more weight than I can put in the bed of my truck, the occasional hauling a car/truck home, and one guy I know has bought 2 tractors (so far) and paid me to haul them to his property.

A winch would make the trailer more useful if I hauled more cars - but the need for it so far has been so little that I can't justify spending the money on even a hand cranked winch.

/hijack

Comment

I've got a big ass stake bed dually, it's as ugly as sin but it gets the job done safely. Rarely am I not pulling a trailer when I drive it.

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel View Post
            yeah, its kind of strange...
            I am learning that there two heights of trans covers too. LMC truck has the diagrams to measure the difference.
            BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Good news. It rained last night and it was dry inside the truck. More than I can say about my other two cars. Both leak.

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Yep, high-hump and low-hump. My '67 6-cylinder SM465 has the high one.

My understanding is the automatics and 3-speed trucks did not have a removeable hump.

Last edited by STINEY; August 6, 2014, 12:33 PM.
                Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Liggett View Post
                  Good news. It rained last night and it was dry inside the truck. More than I can say about my other two cars. Both leak.
                  It stormed out here the other night and this mustang I'm working on doesn't have a back window.... there must have been 20 gallons of water in the catch pouch that sits under it. One of Fords better ideas.

Comment

Just wondering if the Crown Vic front cradles will fit on the GM trucks?
                    Tom
                    Overdrive is overrated

Comment

ugh!
                      My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Got some beauty shots out on a dirt road near sunset tonight.

Last edited by Scott Liggett; August 6, 2014, 07:57 PM.

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Huskinhano View Post
                          Just wondering if the Crown Vic front cradles will fit on the GM trucks?
                          I get wanting disc brakes, the Vic spindle is one piece (unlike Caddy which has a pressed in front spindle) I think my son and I measured and you need to widen the frame a bit.. Why not use a newer GM cradle or just pieces to do the conversion? To be honest, we just restubbed a 60 Ford 2 door with the late 80's Vic type frame from firewall forward.. 60 frame fit right inside the vic frame. But the vic frame is awfully thin! .. I'd much rather he stuck with pickup or truck parts...

Comment

Originally posted by Deaf Bob View Post
                            I get wanting disc brakes, the Vic spindle is one piece (unlike Caddy which has a pressed in front spindle) I think my son and I measured and you need to widen the frame a bit.. Why not use a newer GM cradle or just pieces to do the conversion? To be honest, we just restubbed a 60 Ford 2 door with the late 80's Vic type frame from firewall forward.. 60 frame fit right inside the vic frame. But the vic frame is awfully thin! .. I'd much rather he stuck with pickup or truck parts...
                            See no reason not to use a GM clip either. I know all the Ford guys with mid 60's trucks like doing it....especially since they have that Twin I beam crap. The Crown Vic subframe is off a full size car that weighs about the same or more as the truck so it's not like using MII stuff. The Vic's also have 12" discs. I was just curious mostly if any GM guys are using the Crown Vic or something similar from the GM parts bin. I'm not suggesting Scott doing it. But is sure is fun spending his money, lol.
                            Tom
                            Overdrive is overrated

Comment

Originally posted by Huskinhano View Post
                              See no reason not to use a GM clip either. I know all the Ford guys with mid 60's trucks like doing it....especially since they have that Twin I beam crap...
                              HEY! It's not crap. It's tough as hell... just feels like you are herding cats trying to keep it in a lane and riding in a buckboard wagon!!

I look for one periodically for the Lightning, it would be about the same ride height. They aren't what I would put under a work truck. The GM stuff I drove wasn't all that bad when it was in factory spec, MUCH more civilized than a twin I beam.

FWIW, DB, the 2003 or so and up Panther / Crown Vic front end is a big aluminum hunk that is modular, unbolts from the frame. They get used in a lot of trucks, it's pretty stout with a MAJOR bonuse of Rack and Pinion. All of my Fords road walk, this would take care of it.

You can see the bolts right next to the shock towers where it bolted through the frame. I can't remember but 39" frame rails is what comes to mind. Hauen on here is doing one in an old F100 iirc.

Sorry Scott, back to your truck. You won't need this Ford stuff unless you're gonna be into the frame scraping "laying frame" or whatever that's called, which I don't see happening for some reason. CharlesW can fill that part in, I think he's gotta thing for very very low trucks. BigDad does too but I don't see him on here after the last changes. Carry on!
                              Last edited by Beagle; August 7, 2014, 10:42 AM.
                              Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Beagle, my work van, 09 E250, 54,000 miles. All four bj's were shot. Talk about being scared shirtless on high ways, especially when I had hit hit the brakes. Russian roulette of lane change. I'd love to get a short WB 60's and stab a CV in. Sorry Scott for the high jack. Like I said before, I was curious if the GM truck guys did this or something similar.
                                Tom
                                Overdrive is overrated

Comment

Working...
                                X