• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Article #2

BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

• It looks like my temp gauge took a dump. Reads around 140 at the highest after idling for 15 minutes in 95* temps. No way it would be that cold if the thermostat was stuck wide open. Not sure if the gauge is bad or the temp lead to the sender got broken. It was a Sun Pro gauge I got for $3 from Summit. I will see about getting another one.

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

• Now I know why this gauge was only $3 through Summit. They were and have discontinued the part number. I did find it on Ebay and Amazon for like $18. Still cheap.

I may have kinked the capillary passing it through the firewall. Not sure. That is usually what happens when a mechanical temp gauge doesn't work.

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

• mine doesnt even come off 100 degrees. I may need to buy a new one.
          Hellinor- 2005 Mustang GT-Bolt ons, in need of a turbo

War Wagon- 1966 Bel Air Wagon-355 Crate motor, 700r4, flies pretty good for a brick...

Comment

• Originally posted by Scott Liggett View Post
            I pulled one of the brake drums off tonight. I discovered there is a missing strut that goes from the lever to the front shoe to engage the front shoe as the lever engages the rear shoe. They were missing when I replaced the brake shoes. Thought it was strange, but wasn't sure they were used on this vehicle. I know my other cars have them.

I was rereading your thread and noticed this pic (post 393). It looks like the adjuster lever is tucked behind the adjuster wheel. Here is a pic of my 79. I'm guessing that you addressed it when you fixed the e-brake but thought I'd mention it just in case.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8507.JPG
Views:	27
Size:	231.6 KB
ID:	1111787
            Chris - HRPT Long Haul 03, 04, 05, 13, 14, 15,16 & 18
            74 Nova Project
            66 Mustang GT Project

92 Camaro RS Convertible Project
            79 Chevy Truck Project
            1956 Cadillac Project

Comment

• Yes. I grabbed a couple from the salvage yard to fix it.

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

• I haven't had any updates on the truck, because I haven't touched the truck all summer. Haven't even needed to add oil. The engine runs dead nuts perfect with the carb and the AFR gauge tuning. Fires up instantly and runs great. I am not the slightest bit nice to this engine either. Routinely over 4500 rpm speed shifting and getting rubber in 2nd and 3rd gear.

What I am going to do is take apart a perfectly running truck to put on a Fitech EFI system as a test mule for work. We have not been happy with the EFI system we have been using lately. Trying these from a suggestion from one of our customers who does installs as well. A certain DieselGeek is all pissy about it because he hates TBI style injection. But, he can shut up until he starts sending cash my way for what he wants. I do plan to go to port injection on this and my Impala, but this iwith fuel system to which I can reuse a ton of parts later. But, part of the whole reason I wanted to get one our crate engines instead of building one is that I wanted to know what our customers are dealing with. I can also learn how to install and tune an EFI system to further help customers.

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

• I really appreciate your willingness to put yourself in our shoes. I don't think that's very common out there in the Big World. Hope the EFI system you're moving away from isn't the one I'm installing in the Volvo!

Dan

Comment

• Don't worry, it is under warranty. I also believe 90% of the problems are user error, not the unit itself. Just like carbs, but with more wiring involved. We seldom get an accurate story from customers.
                    Last edited by Scott Liggett; August 31, 2016, 12:30 PM.

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

• The big question I see on the FiTech is the fuel system plumbing. Their fuel command center unit seems to have issues of some sort. I wonder how using some Holley hydramat or such would work out.
                      Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

• Originally posted by TheSilverBuick View Post
                        The big question I see on the FiTech is the fuel system plumbing. Their fuel command center unit seems to have issues of some sort. I wonder how using some Holley hydramat or such would work out.

I will find out as I am installing the command center.

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Patrick & Tammy
                          - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

• I like the hydramat in my FJ40... it works extremely well - I bought the small one, and it is more than enough to run the 350
                            Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

• From what I have gathered, I would go with a dedicated fuel system and forgo the fuel control center...
                              Patrick & Tammy
                              - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

• Originally posted by silver_bullet View Post
                                From what I have gathered, I would go with a dedicated fuel system and forgo the fuel control center...
                                I am installing it like our customers would. That is the only way to actually test the system.

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X