No announcement yet.

Scott's 1967 GMC 1500 pickup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

awesome pics!! farm truck on a gravel road with corn as a back drop! PERFECT!

great project too!
    Dan, Co-Pilot Drag Week 06
    Drag Week '11 just Me and my Dad in my 53 Chevy, which was his Dads old truck
    Drag Week '12 plus one day...Me and Dad in my 53 again....
    Drag Week 2013 with my father in law.. New BEST ET/MPH 11.87@112

Comment

Beagle, hmm aluminum... The big thing in midwest derbys are the Panther platform.. Since you posted the pic.. I see why they are desireable .Son just bought an 04 Police Interceptor.. Haven't looked it over yet.. ...Back to regularly scheduled CHEVY truck!

Comment

Originally posted by LAGNAF View Post
        awesome pics!! farm truck on a gravel road with corn as a back drop! PERFECT!

great project too!

I drove 15 miles to the middle of nowhere on a dirt road in corn fields to get those and still had to move the truck twice for traffic.
        BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Drove to Bertrand, met maybe 3 cars to and from Kearney.. You must have been on the road during rush hour?

Comment

I am not planning anything dramatic on this truck for the forseeable future, especially for suspension upgrades. I have found power steering parts I need and parts to do a disc brake swap at the local yard. This truck will not get air bagged, lowered or any other BS. It's a truck to be used a truck, haul crap and drive in the winter. That's it.

It will be getting comfort upgrades, trans upgrades, possibly engine upgrades, maybe a different gear ratio and maybe a five lug change over.

While driving on the dirt roads, 25 mph in third gear will have tire spin at the slightest touch of the gas. So, this will be a challenge on snowy roads. I may be only using 3rd and 4th on the those days. And, yes I can leave from a stop in 3rd gear.

I will be doing more investigation of the gear ratio and other stuff over the weekend. I plan to check the brakes, adjust as necessary, definitely adjust or fix hand brake as it doesn't work at all.

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

They came with a small metal tag with the gear ratio on one of the rear cover bolts. They got lost easily though. 3.54 is a common ratio.

Jack up a wheel turn the wheel exactly two revolutions, count the number of turns of the driveshaft. That number is the ratio.
              My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel View Post
                They came with a small metal tag with the gear ratio on one of the rear cover bolts. They got lost easily though. 3.54 is a common ratio.

Jack up a wheel turn the wheel exactly two revolutions, count the number of turns of the driveshaft. That number is the ratio.

Seeing how the truck's diff cover is missing the two upper botls, I am going to say it's missing. Unless it's under the grease.

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

My opinion...3:73 pulls a car trailer loaded down ok.. With a 700r4.. It always shifts out of 1st by 12-15 mph, no matter what.. 4th or D is worthless except on the freeway downhill.. Feels like 3:40ishy will do better? ... My flatbed with the 4:11 pulls awesomely.. 4th is around 2400 rpms. Tranny is the SM465.. Sometimes on the freeway or highway I'd like something between 3-4 and maybe a little after 4.. Performer intake, Holley carb, RV2 cam, hotter coil and headers with glasspacks got me 12 mpg loaded and 16 empty.. You can get the same or better

Comment

I have not been able to upload pictures from my laptop. This is a test from photobucket. My 67 C10 that I had in the late 70's.
                    Looks like it did not work. This was scanned from a Polaroid and cropped badly years ago, If I find the original photo I will try again.
                    It was a nice truck with flamed paint.
                    Last edited by wrenchn2; August 7, 2014, 06:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by wrenchn2 View Post
                      I have not been able to upload pictures from my laptop. This is a test from photobucket. My 67 C10 that I had in the late 70's.
                      Looks like it did not work. This was scanned from a Polaroid and cropped badly years ago, If I find the original photo I will try again.
                      It was a nice truck with flamed paint.

Copy the IMG link on the picture's photobucket page, not the webpage link , then paste in the thread reply.

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Thanks for the info. Your truck makes me miss mine. It had aluminum slots,327 headers glass packs, powerglide , Tonneau cover, trailer brakes and some plush seats . I hauled a lot of stuff with that thing and it would take whatever I put in it. If I can find the original Polaroid I will scan it. The equipment to scan and edit pictures came a long way since I scanned that one (early 80's).

Comment

nowadays we just take a picture of it with our phones

Progress...
                          My fabulous web page

Comment

Snow duty? I'm sure you know, but 2wd truck in the slippery stuff is one of the worst vehicles.......... get a real good pair of Mud/Snow tires, and lots of weight for the bed. Like at least #500, minimum.

I've been "stuck" on a level surface of packed snow/ice when I had a 2wd truck, literally left it in drive with the wheels slowly spinning, got out and pushed on the tailgate to get some forward motion. Then walked back to cab, got in and waited for the momentum to gain. 2 minutes later we finally made it to a surface with traction.

There is simply not enough weight in the rear to gain any traction.
                            Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

Originally posted by STINEY View Post
                              Snow duty? I'm sure you know, but 2wd truck in the slippery stuff is one of the worst vehicles.......... get a real good pair of Mud/Snow tires, and lots of weight for the bed. Like at least #500, minimum.

I've been "stuck" on a level surface of packed snow/ice when I had a 2wd truck, literally left it in drive with the wheels slowly spinning, got out and pushed on the tailgate to get some forward motion. Then walked back to cab, got in and waited for the momentum to gain. 2 minutes later we finally made it to a surface with traction.

There is simply not enough weight in the rear to gain any traction.
                              That was kind of my thought when I asked if it was a 4x4. A 4-dr Caprice makes an awesome winter beater (or at least my 5,000lb Centurion is the best 2wd snow vehicle I own). Still can't go wrong having a truck. I'm with the others, once you have one, they are pretty dang nice to have, I resisted for a long long time.
                              Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

I've had a pickup since I started driving, now we have 3.
                                My fabulous web page

Comment

Working...
                                X