No announcement yet.

Scott's 1967 GMC 1500 pickup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I didn't have a problem in the ice last year with my F250... except I was driving too fast and the rear end came around on me at about 50 mph and pirouetted ... ooops. My bad, really needed to replace the balding (down to the wear strip) rear tires. Dad's 78 Impala did what Stiney described in a parking lot, "Sit and Spin". I hated that thing in the ice.

Home Depot has pallets of aggregate, 1000 pounds and in a bag. I'm considering it for this year or a half pallet (1000 pounds) of play sand or turface (industrial kitty litter in 50lb bags)... can use as traction compound if it gets stuck on ice. Being up in Nebraska you might be able to find tractor weights pretty easily, I put 250 pounds of tractor weights in my '86 C10 and it really improved the ride. They sat tight between the tailgate and the fender well and didn't move around. Stopping them is more dramatic than getting them moving, imho.

oh - hey, if you wanna add a few pounds in the rear end and keep junk from sliding all over the bed but don't want to line it, a thick RubberMaid bed mat is pretty heavy considering what it is, like 40-50 pounds. I really liked a bed mat better than I liked a liner, really helps things stay put. I'd pull it out every now and then if I thought it was wet under it.
    Last edited by Beagle; August 8, 2014, 08:56 AM.
    Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

x2 on the bed mat. I hate crap sliding all over the bed.
      Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

What a great truck Scott! So original looking, and unmolested. Of the '67-'72 Chevy trucks, the slope back hood is my favorite! I wanted to find one when I was looking for a new old Suburban, but ended up getting my '69 instead. The suspension on these trucks is already great, and they ride and handle well! Can't imagine any reason to ever do anything to them, except replace worn out pieces.
        I got my '69 a few years ago off the local CL for dirt cheap. Needed new interior, and heater controls repaired, but it's been a great daily driver for the last few years!

Comment

Nice Subby!! I have to fix my heater controls as well. I saw that LMC sells parts to them, so I guess they are known for falling apart. The shaft that all three levers rotate on is missing on mine and the cable to the temp control is off. Someone just put in a valve in the heater hose, otherwise hot air blows out all the time. At least it has heat for winter!!!
          BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

I scrambled the name on photobucket and lost the link to it.
            Lets try this again. Your going to enjoy having a truck and so are your friends.

Comment

Originally posted by wrenchn2 View Post
              Your going to enjoy having a truck and so are your friends.

"Yes it's my truck. NO I won't help you move."

Or you could adopt a standard fee of say $30 per load plus labor.
              Last edited by 68scott385; August 8, 2014, 04:47 PM.
              http://www.bangshift.com/forum/showt...n-block-wanted

http://www.bangshift.com/forum/showt...-Blue-Turd(le)

Comment

All of my friends have trucks. Except DieselGeek.

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Liggett View Post
                  All of my friends have trucks. Except DieselGeek.
                  Peer pressure is a bitch, huh?
                  http://www.bangshift.com/forum/showt...n-block-wanted

http://www.bangshift.com/forum/showt...-Blue-Turd(le)

Comment

I imagine small town Nebraska is like small town Arizona...everyone and their brother has a pickup truck.
                    My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel View Post
                      I imagine small town Nebraska is like small town Arizona...everyone and their brother has a pickup truck.

Bingo!!

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

welcome to the truck club my first truck was a 67 c20 chevy 250 six and 3 on the tree your gonna love this truck 71/72's will give you disc brakes and 5 lugs looks like you have a dana axle
                        and I guess it was a chevy thing to have the coil spring on the rear
                        its a little pricy but here is something to think about adding to your engine

you will get improved fuel economy easy starts and more torque

as for doing a crown vic swap on a chevy I wouldnt but look at my F100 crown vic clip is in Mark VIII rear is next
                        your kids can have their own racecar www.aasbd.org

Comment

you could buy a lot of Qjets for a grand
                          My fabulous web page

Comment

Originally posted by derbydad276 View Post
                            welcome to the truck club my first truck was a 67 c20 chevy 250 six and 3 on the tree your gonna love this truck 71/72's will give you disc brakes and 5 lugs looks like you have a dana axle
                            and I guess it was a chevy thing to have the coil spring on the rear
                            its a little pricy but here is something to think about adding to your engine

you will get improved fuel economy easy starts and more torque

as for doing a crown vic swap on a chevy I wouldnt but look at my F100 crown vic clip is in Mark VIII rear is next
                            http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...ld-on-a-budget

I can put together an efi system for cheaper than that through the friend network. The late model engine makes grabbing a TBI from the salvage super cheap and easy

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Given the scheiße that passes for modern gas, EFI is almost a given. I've always liked the styling of the 67-72 Chev/GMC trucks.

Comment

my old trucks seem to do ok with Quadrajets. The only common problem seems to be the cranking required to get fuel back in the bowl after it sits a couple days. This new gas sure evaporates well.
                                My fabulous web page

Comment

Working...
                                X