Scott's 1967 GMC 1500 pickup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scott's 1967 GMC 1500 pickup

Today, I became the new owner of a '67 GMC pick-em-up truck. My first truck. Hard to believe, huh?

This is how I found it in the back of a local dealer lot during Kearney Cruise Nite a couple of weeks ago.

I discovered why there is oil all over the rear diff. It's missing two bolts. Um, OK. It has a posi or a locker, I discovered that today. It reacts more like a locker in a left hand turn.

It's a late model 350, or 305 with non-Vortec heads. Idles smooth as silk. Has Edelbrock Performer, Edelbrock 1406 600 cfm carb. Mallory Unilite distributor and coil. Some headers that
    are way to close to one of the brake lines for my taste. Armstrong steering with a Forever:1 ratio.

After taking it to the car wash from some under hood degreasing.

Nice tailgate. Bumper is solid and straight. Looks to be one of those Uhaul hitches, the reason the right brake light doesn't work. Looks like I will be under the bed fixing the wiring. Will have to have the hitch looked over before towing anything heavy.

Only real body damage is behind the right rear tire. Bent in a bit. Shouldn't be too hard to pull out.

The rockers are the only real rust. Though, I have yet to see one around here without it. Might be hard to find that missing side molding. Not sure if it's specific to the Custom models.

The grille and front bumper are straight. The headlight adjuster screws' plastic receivers are working too good.

The seat was recovered. Found the clutch and brake pedal pads in the glove box. The temp gauge is in the way of the hand brake. I don't think the amp gauge works. Oil pressure does, as does the speedo and gas gauge. The gas tank looks newish.

Mileage says 66,629. Could be original.

Bed looks solid on top. There are some thinning areas underneath near the supports.

Found the owner's manual, light plug and a electric washer pump fix it kit in the glove box.

Last edited by Scott Liggett; August 4, 2014, 08:28 PM.
    BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Looks great Scott. Looking forward to reading about your journey with this vehicle'

Comment

That's pretty darn nice for a pickup that's almost 50 years old!
      My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Cool. What are the plans?
        Chris - HRPT Long Haul 03, 04, 05, 13, 14, 15,16 & 18
        74 Nova Project
        66 Mustang GT Project

92 Camaro RS Convertible Project
        79 Chevy Truck Project
        1956 Cadillac Project

Comment

Originally posted by 74NovaMan View Post
          Cool. What are the plans?

Drive it.

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

looks like a nice, honest truck... nice buy. I see later heads, what's the motor?
            Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Caprice's big block's new home?

Comment

So I take it the custom plate thing was a no-go? lol

Looks like a decent score to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Deaf Bob View Post
                  No way. Why would I do that? I would rather rebuild the 400 sitting in my garage for it. The Caprice without it's 454 isn't worth squat.
                  Last edited by Scott Liggett; August 5, 2014, 06:00 AM.

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Deaf Bob View Post
                    I thought it was a 350, but it could be a 305. The front pad says VLO45832.

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Casper View Post
                      So I take it the custom plate thing was a no-go? lol

Looks like a decent score to me.

The plate on it in the pics are the dealer's plates for when I test drove it. Not sure if I will get fancy plates for this one. It's funny how it works in Nebraska, you go to the DMV to get it registered, they give you regular plates that day; then you have to order the personalized plates afterwards. You can do it easily online.

Maybe someone can tell me about the reasoning for commercial truck plates on a private pickup. I have seen tons of them on people's non-business pickups. Farmers also have their own plates as well.

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Its either cheaper / tax write off or has to do with the weight of the truck & load
                        http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
                        1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
                        ​​​​​​

Comment

Here in OR, "F" plate is farmer plate and is a one time deal..no renewals... My flatbed had "T" plate, which allowed me to haul more thn 8500# GVW, but cost $60 every 6 months while regular plates cost $80- 2 years.. Never got pulled over for being overweight.. My son works for ODOT and their compound is right off I-5 and he noticed an uptick in weighs by state police at their scales.. Mostly new diesel pickups .... I'm with you in small blocks in trucks.. 14+ mpg is possible

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Liggett View Post
                            I thought it was a 350, but it could be a 305. The front pad says VLO45832.

my guess-from-a-distance is an early 90s chevy 350, probably from a truck. They put too much money on the top of the motor to have saved money buying a 305 (and headers too)... but, I'm not sure you can figure out what a motor is from the numbers stamped on the pad - other than, it is the last few numbers of the car's vin (thus, not a gm crate).
                            all the owners of that truck cared about that truck because the bed isn't beat, and whatever they did to it - they didn't cheap out... heck, if it has pads and clutch stuff in the glovebox, you can see they were hoping that someone would continue to care for the truck... be cool if you could track down the former owner and get the scoop.
                            Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; August 5, 2014, 07:15 AM.
                            Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Great old truck. May you have many miles of motoring happiness.

Dan

Comment

Working...
                              X