Mr. Magoo the 29 Model A

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mr. Magoo the 29 Model A

Well everybody a few weeks ago, I saw an ad on Craigslist for a guy wanting to trade a Model A for a Harley FXR. I just happened to have a FXR and I always wanted a Model A so I went and checked it out. We both agreed on the trade and Mr. Magoo became my new toy.

Here's Magoo the day I went to look at him.

I went back a few days later, signed over my bike and brought Magoo home. This car is a survivor. It's all stock except for the wheels which I believe are off a 34. It has few dents and a few rust holes but man is this thing solid for being 85 years old.

I put the hood on when I got it home.

Original dash and wooden floors

Magoo's tush

4 cylinders of snarling power. Note the aftermarket heater manifold.

Hanging in the garage with the L
    I R Bob
    You can't drink all day unless you start in the morning!
    2007 LH, 2008 LH, 2009 LH, 2010 LH, 2011 LH, 2012 DNF/BLOW'D UP, 2013 LH, 2014 LH

Anyways, when I picked up the car, the guy I got it from said he had some parts for sale if I wanted to do an old school hot rod build. I hemmed and hawed but I knew I didn't want anything modern in this build. We struck another deal and this past weekend I picked up the first parts for the build. I'm going to be dragging Magoo into 1940's technology whether he likes it or not!

Magoo's new heart. Well it will be after I rebuild it.

It's a 1945-48, 59AB flathead. From what I've read online, this is one of the more desirable. models.

I also picked up the stock 3 speed tranny which you can see hiding against the wall to the right of the engine.

This may be my only departure from an old school build. I'm thinking of putting a T5 in it just to make it a bit more drive able.

Got a complete front and rear suspension with juice brakes. I mean, c'mon, I'm going to have 150hp so the mechanical brakes just aren't going to cut it.

Well that's it for now. I do want to get a drop axle and smaller front tires to get the front end lower and I'll have to decide what I want to do out back as well..
    I R Bob
    2007 LH, 2008 LH, 2009 LH, 2010 LH, 2011 LH, 2012 DNF/BLOW'D UP, 2013 LH, 2014 LH

Comment

Very Cool! I'm looking forward to the build! Teresa wants to know what color you are planning.
      Chris - HRPT Long Haul 03, 04, 05, 13, 14, 15,16 & 18
      74 Nova Project
      66 Mustang GT Project

92 Camaro RS Convertible Project
      79 Chevy Truck Project
      1956 Cadillac Project

Comment

Looks like a hoot!

Comment

Chris, tell her she's looking at it! I've already got two other shiny vehicles that are a pain in the butt to keep that way!
          I R Bob

Comment

I'll have to decide what I want to do out back as well.
            Quickchange!

Comment

Not sure what the bike was worth but I am sure it was not as rare, great trade! I like the T-5 idea should make it more enjoyable to drive. I second the quick change in have always wanted one
              http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
              1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
              ​​​​​​

Comment

Very nice old A. Have fun with him.

BTW - does the boss know you have a Russell banner in your shop? Seems like a potential conflict of interest - though I don't think I've ever seen a Swagelok banner.

Dan

Comment

I'd have done that trade in a heartbeat as well... nice car, excellent plan.
                  Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

damn that thing is cool.

I cant wait to see what you do with it!
                    Hellinor- 2005 Mustang GT-Bolt ons, in need of a turbo

War Wagon- 1966 Bel Air Wagon-355 Crate motor, 700r4, flies pretty good for a brick...

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
                      Very nice old A. Have fun with him.

BTW - does the boss know you have a Russell banner in your shop? Seems like a potential conflict of interest - though I don't think I've ever seen a Swagelok banner.

Dan
                      Dan, we really don't cater to the automotive market, but I'm guessing there might be some Swagelok fittings in Magoo. I'm cleaning out my Grandfather's garage and he's got some vintage Swagelok fittings in there I'm going to try and use.
                      I R Bob

Comment

Badass and Bangshift blog worthy Bob..

Comment

Originally posted by tardis454 View Post
                          Badass and Bangshift blog worthy Bob..
                          I know. Eerily like the blog, isn't it? I actually emailed Brian and was like holy crap, that almost my new car.
                          I R Bob

Comment

Hot damn. Only seen an original one that nice in some old family photos …from the '30s. Sweet find. Looks like a cool project!

Comment

That 4 banger flathead would make a cool powerplant for a home made lil tractor... Or a pit buggy!

Comment

Working...
                              X