Quad Turbo 454 '23T

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quad Turbo 454 '23T

I started a thread on this a very long time ago and quickly lost interest in the car again. This time I'm going to get it driving. I started this in 2001 with a $250 body shell. I had no money, lacked the skills and tools to finish it. It has four turbos because at the time I couldn't afford a decent sized pair and ran across the used T-3's cheap. My 40th birthday is Sep 14th. I want to get it driving by then. Here' the list.

The first thing we had to do was dig it out of its hole.

Comment

Once we got it out we were able to check a couple items off the list including fixing the driver's front spring.

Comment

We got it out in the sun for the first time in a couple years. I really would like a bigger garage but I'd just start dragging more junk home.

Comment

I went out to the shed to get the motor off the dyno which is kind of a hassle. I had to move some junk to get the motor out and found a 454 I forgot I had. How does a person do that?
          I cleaned it up and mocked it up in the car.

Comment

Can you be a car nut without hoarding parts?

Last edited by ka67_72; August 6, 2014, 06:37 PM.

Comment

Scavenging from the lower turbos has been the biggest issue with the car. I broke down and bought a real pump a while back. It's a Barnes two stage. Here's a clip of me testing it. I still need to decide what pulley to put on it. How fast can you turn these pumps?

Thanks,
              Kevin

Comment

This makes me smile.... please keep updating.
                Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Death wish for fortieth.... Subscribed

Comment

Originally posted by Casper View Post
                    Death wish for fortieth.... Subscribed
                    I have a 17 year old daughter and 12 year old son. I'd be lying if I said they weren't the primary reason this car isn't running. Here's a very old clip of the first time I fired it.

Comment

So? 2 cylinders run one turbo? ..

Comment

Originally posted by ka67_72 View Post
                        I have a 17 year old daughter and 12 year old son. I'd be lying if I said they weren't the primary reason this car isn't running. Here's a very old clip of the first time I fired it.
                        I suppose the kids are the ones that put you up to putting a cage in it too.... little pests.

It's bad-ass, best of luck to you on the turbos and meeting your time frame.

Comment

Originally posted by Deaf Bob View Post
                          So? 2 cylinders run one turbo? ..
                          Yes. It's like having one 1850cc two cylinder running each turbo. If it proves to be an issue, I can connect the manifold sections. I may do this anyway to only use two external wastegates.

Kevin

Comment

This is a neat deal . . . Mill has a good sound . . . a little "rump, rump" . . . a little turbo whistle . . . .

I've thought about the four turbo thing some . . . rigging them as dual sequentials (each cylinder bank feeding a primary and a secondary turbo) . . . but I need to finish up my ordinary twin turbo build before I venture off into the frontier . . . When the too-tiny EcoBoost turbos start showing up in masse at lower prices, I'll probably get that experimenter's fever . . . .

Keep wrenching and posting.
                            Last edited by 38P; August 7, 2014, 06:59 AM.

Comment

There are other tiny ones out there like the ones on 3000 gt's. I recently killed the 302 in my Ranger. I was thinking about an LS swap using the HX-35 that's in it sequentially with something bigger.

Comment

Working...
                              X