X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• silver_bullet
    replied
    Originally posted by fatguyzinc View Post
    oh, i can bend it fine-- i just cat get the PLACEMENT of the bends down.
    ive tried all the marks, the star, reverse bend, etc and it still comes out wrong.
    maybe its just me being an idiot, i dunno, cant seem to figure out the correct
    "put the middle of the bend right HERE' on the tool mark.

so everything comes out too long, or too short, or the length is correct but the
    bend is 2"-3" inches to far away or not far enough from the end....
    Get EMT (cheap) to practice on and make a pattern.... EMT is the thinwall stuff that isn't threadable... the directions that come with the bender are very helpful... an UGLY'S book will help as well: https://www.amazon.com/s?k=ugly%27s+electrical+reference+book&i=stripbook s&hvadid=598729364855&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=9018663&h vn etw=g&hvqmt=e&hvrand=8785461028626736512&hvtargid= kwd-3543216266&hydadcr=22593_13531299&tag=googhydr-20&ref=pd_sl_2dxgniltb2_e

this also will give you considerable insight:

By the way, you need to use a bender marked for rigid and EMT so you get an iron shoe that can take more force... I ahve seen guys thread in a 3/4" 8 foot stick of rigid conduit for more leverage.... have even seen bar stock inserted in the handle to make it beefier ....
    The Rigid brand bender has a lifetime warranty... for 3/4" thick wall you need model 35225
    Cheapest price I found: https://www.globaltestsupply.com/pro...AaAohnEALw_wcB
    Last edited by silver_bullet; April 7, 2023, 07:12 PM.

Leave a comment:

• fatguyzinc
    replied
    Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post

allegedly they are. I had one ages ago, called it my pipe kinker

if it kinks its because you aint got enough weight, size, and/or strength
    behind it to bend it fast enough, you girly-man...

Leave a comment:

• fatguyzinc
    replied
    oh, i can bend it fine-- i just cat get the PLACEMENT of the bends down.
    ive tried all the marks, the star, reverse bend, etc and it still comes out wrong.
    maybe its just me being an idiot, i dunno, cant seem to figure out the correct
    "put the middle of the bend right HERE' on the tool mark.

so everything comes out too long, or too short, or the length is correct but the
    bend is 2"-3" inches to far away or not far enough from the end....

Leave a comment:

• SuperBuickGuy
    replied
    Originally posted by DanStokes View Post

Sounds like those are for EMT - NOT compatible with anything with much strength to it. I bend practice roll bar pieces out of EMT to see if it'll fit like I planned then borrow a real pipe bender to do the actual tubes.
    allegedly they are. I had one ages ago, called it my pipe kinker

Leave a comment:

• DanStokes
    replied

i mean i have the aluminum shoe/pipe handle thing you bend on the ground with.
    if i had a hydro/electric bender id figure it out, but this one SUCKS. or possibly,
    its ME that sucks......

https://www.amazon.com/Gardner-Bende...NsaWNrPXRydWU=
    Sounds like those are for EMT - NOT compatible with anything with much strength to it. I bend practice roll bar pieces out of EMT to see if it'll fit like I planned then borrow a real pipe bender to do the actual tubes.

Leave a comment:

• fatguyzinc
    replied
    Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post

I've heard that if you make shoes (replace the rollers with blocks of teflon) for the pipe kinker, you can make a bend. Personally, I'd use heat, fill the inside of the tube with sand, and the right size die in a vise to make whatever radius you're looking for.
    i mean i have the aluminum shoe/pipe handle thing you bend on the ground with.
    if i had a hydro/electric bender id figure it out, but this one SUCKS. or possibly,
    its ME that sucks......

Leave a comment:

• SuperBuickGuy
    replied
    i need to bend some 1" heavywall conduit around my dash like your rollbar front downtubes.
    (just so paz has something to hang on to as shes climbing in, instead of hanging off the door)
    and i tried with the cast aluminum "shoe" type bender---but cant seem to get the bend in the
    right place, i already ruined $80+ of tubing 'practicing' and just cant get it no matter what formula
    or recipe i follow.

and cant find anyone here to do it for less that $700 ( !!!!! ) so i may miter cut / weld instead. not my
    first choice, but i cant afford to practice anymore and i am NOT paying $700 for 2 downtubes and
    a windsheild crossover.....
    I've heard that if you make shoes (replace the rollers with blocks of teflon) for the pipe kinker, you can make a bend. Personally, I'd use heat, fill the inside of the tube with sand, and the right size die in a vise to make whatever radius you're looking for.
    Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; April 7, 2023, 06:34 AM.

Leave a comment:

• fatguyzinc
    replied
    i need to bend some 1" heavywall conduit around my dash like your rollbar front downtubes.
    (just so paz has something to hang on to as shes climbing in, instead of hanging off the door)
    and i tried with the cast aluminum "shoe" type bender---but cant seem to get the bend in the
    right place, i already ruined $80+ of tubing 'practicing' and just cant get it no matter what formula
    or recipe i follow.

and cant find anyone here to do it for less that $700 ( !!!!! ) so i may miter cut / weld instead. not my
    first choice, but i cant afford to practice anymore and i am NOT paying $700 for 2 downtubes and
    a windsheild crossover.....

Leave a comment:

• SuperBuickGuy
    replied
    seat reinstalled

ready to go play this weekend

Leave a comment:

• Captain
    replied
    Yep,
    ORV season is just a month away.
    Sadly Jeep Blitz has Not Been Scheduled for this year.
    The COVID year, and successive years of bad weather after,
    didn't help attendance, and I think broke their budget.

And the PUSH is on here for my shop !!
    Today starts the Seasonal Rotation of Vehicles in the
    Barns.

​​​​​​​Have some maintenance upgrades for the Timber Cruiser.

Leave a comment:

• SuperBuickGuy
    replied
    seat is too tall, finally getting around to fixing it

first remove seat....

chop the base off

weld back together 1 1/4 inches shorter

Leave a comment:

• Captain
    replied
    WOW,
    Your LP supplier didn't have Forklift Tanks?
    They still exchange them for Many Industrial Businesses.
    Only 100% indoor Food Processors have gone to fleets of electric forklifts. Battery Maintenance and Replacement Costs are Very High compared to LP forklifts.

I even have a Transfer Fill Port for them on my house and shop 500 Gallon LP tanks. It works, a little slower with no pump, but it is still a Liquid under pressure, and at normal tank internal pressure, it flows rather well.

I have a old Steel Forklift Tank somewhere in the Barns,
    Don't really need it anymore for the Backup Gen Set.
    Last edited by Captain; January 2, 2023, 06:03 AM.

Leave a comment:

• SuperBuickGuy
    replied
    when I built my '40, there simply weren't any parts available to make a Toyota clutch... so I've been making due with an aftermarket solution... which is extremely heavy due to a number of compromises. I need to either fix that issue or replace the trans with an automatic. I'd rather not automatic it.... recently I realized I could get all the parts - so time to make them fit

somewhere in that dark hole, stuff needs to fit

the stuff

in other news, forklift is in the shop... I can't believe how unavailable tanks are... this runs but didn't come with a battery or propane tank. battery was easy, tank.... Jan 13.

Leave a comment:

• SuperBuickGuy
    replied
    back to tires... taller, wider
    the first issue was getting the tire machine inside - which required breaking it out of the ice

then, of course, doing the wheels... did I mention I love the gantry crane?

ready to go to a real tire shop to get the Mickey Thompson's off

this is starting to look repetitive

then 14 oz of BBs... about dynamic balancing. It works fantastic, you just have to get over the bearing sound from the tires. There is also 2 ways of getting them inside... first is how I did with these tires - dump them in the back (once the front ring was bolted on). Alternatively, the tires which are now for the Blazer got bags of BBs - just a plastic sandwich bag, it'll break soon enough inside - the advantage of the bag method is the poor guy at the tire shop doesn't get BBs all over the place... where I already have one bead in place when I dump them in, the tire shop does - and it can be done, carefully, or put them in little baggies (it didn't escape my notice that I was hauling around a small scale, measuring cup and small baggies.... thankfully there was no curious cop...)

ready for SAR duties

Leave a comment:

• Captain
    replied
    Like A Two Stoke.
    Where Did be That Extra HP come from. .....
    just Before it Grenades..

Leave a comment:

Working...
X