No announcement yet.

FJ40 I call Shipwreck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So first a fix on a clutch issue... it stopped disengaging. So it was time to revisit - I replaced the master cylinder with a 7/8" bore and slave seemed to be leaking down so I replaced it as well - which appears to be updated over the prior one...
    old

new

why it blurred? I dunno

it works well now, hopefully this itineration will last more then 3k miles
    Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

• back to this

new pump

lest you think I get this done without a mess

fits right where the old one was

seems to fit just fine.... now all the details

Comment

• wow does this thin the number of wires running to and fro

Fuel pump installed

and start the distributor wiring

probably this will be the one that takes the most thought

Comment

• wiring is the suck, well, not the wiring itself, but the planning and routing, no matter how meticulous I am, there's always one section that looks like a spaghetti factory blew up.

Comment

• Patrick & Tammy
            - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

• there are fewer wires, fewer harnesses - this is so much better then the cobbled system I had before.

Comment

• Waiting to see if you like this.

Dan

Comment

• more spaghetti

and throttle cable

hey look, powah

in theory, this is correct.

I say in theory because the pump comes on when I turn the switch on, but the handheld says it cannot find the ECU.... we will see... there's a secondary problem with no tach signal for the dash.... which is going to require some rewiring (I guess).... anyway, that's it for tonight

to save some questions - I do smell fuel and it isn't leaking.... maybe faulty cable? I dunno...
                  Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; October 3, 2019, 09:39 PM.

Comment

• Under the "Like" box there needs to be a "Fingers Crossed" box. You'll get it.

Dan

Comment

• fixed.... apparently the cable needs two clicks to be fully seated.... I love it when it's simple and am a bit embarrassed at the problem... ah well, I learn so you don't have to.

Comment

• and it runs..... now to do everything else

Comment

• I wish I had done this earlier... wow what a difference.
                          out with the old TBI distributor

in with the no-name, billet HEI (which I originally bought for this)

I'll say this again - to put a distributor in, on a SBC, rather then aiming the pointer at #1, aim it at #8 (the one after #1). Why? you want about 10-12* of advance dialed in. If you aim at 8, that's 12* advance.... and it'll fire immediately.

and then

cleaned up the wiring

and the other side

hose clamp to hold the fender on

fixing a leaky exhaust

and it runs and drives far better then before....

still a few things left, but that was a major item off the list

Comment

• I swear that as i get older, I get away with less and less.... the proof
                            the pink wire fell off - I drove the '40 out of the shop and parked it - idling. a few minutes elapse and the motor quits... whatthebloodyhell?

so I bought the right connector....

and voila.... it works....
                            crimped, soldered, and taped.

but that system, spade connectors have lasted for decades on other vehicles I repaired.... why not longer?

Comment

• more fun

and what else?

Powermaster has screwed me for the very last time. First time was a starter that was DOA and had a 90 day warranty. At the same time I'd bought an alternator for my H3, and it almost burned it down. I mentioned something, somewhere about troubles with them and eventually they begged me to try them again - said they were a new company. Yeah, BS. This time the solenoid jammed and took out the relay as well... didn't know I put a relay on this.... Indeed, and it's dead.... screw you powermaster. There, you wanted my advertising.....

Comment

• Had 2 Powermasters.. Son's fried after 2 derbies.
                                Daughter's solenoid main power post broke off in spite of not being hit or cable stretched
                                Back to the small body cad plated GM ones.

Comment

Working...
                                X