• Show
Clear All

• STINEY
    replied
    RedKote

Leave a comment:

• DanStokes
    replied
    That coating was nasty. I plan to line the expanded tank in the Volvo and now know not to use that stuff - I'm leaning toward the red product that's been around for years (can't remember the name of it).

Dan

Leave a comment:

• silver_bullet
    replied

Leave a comment:

• 65RHDEER
    replied
    I think you've got it licked now SBG, well done.

Leave a comment:

• SuperBuickGuy
    replied
    parts.... wheee

correct hole saw

marking

bit of acetone and it looks decent

painting the hole

old tank, didn't blow the hydramat off, but lordy did that coating fail

and the assembled Holley intank with new hydramat

and roughly in place, I'm going to weld the old filler onto the new tank

Leave a comment:

• SuperBuickGuy
    replied
    onward, fitting

pump goes between the straps

and dead end, thought it needed 3 1/2" hole saw, no, 3 1/4.... ugh
    other bad news is I don't have enough fuel line - so even worse news I had to buy from Summit to have any hope of it arriving before the weekend.....

and the codes.

first is P0305 = misfire... yeah, no kidding
    second is interesting P0505 = IAC malfunction
    the FiTech ones are (and a pain to find)
    38 is timing interference
    53 is IAC again....

now the puzzler - none of these codes appeared at first break-down (it warmed to 140* then wouldn't run - like no fuel no run)....

Leave a comment:

• SuperBuickGuy
    replied
    theory is the pump comes tomorrow.... so forward
    remove the seat

see the silver stuff that's lifting? that's the POR tank coating.... the inside of the tank looks about the same

drain the gas

and shoot.... okay, I should have checked this long ago (when I tried to burn it down) but it appears I need to do some recoating under the tank

What's interesting (at least to me) is the ceramic coating/sound deadener survived just fine, it's the liner on top that got baked.... I was a fan of the coating before, even more so now

the tank fits the hole, but it's not without needed mods

probably I will weld a new neck in place....

Leave a comment:

• SuperBuickGuy
    replied
    and Summit is as incompetent as the rest.... that package, arrived today.... pretty sure it's free.

Leave a comment:

• SuperBuickGuy
    replied
    New tank has arrived, but due to Summit being idiots, I won't have a pump until next Tuesday

Leave a comment:

• Deaf Bob
    replied
    Used diesel and chain sections strapped the tank on the forklift as it can be sgifted axle to axle. Have a video I could not find. The pickup tube is a foot off the bottom, and no sock..

Leave a comment:

• SuperBuickGuy
    replied
    Originally posted by Deaf Bob View Post
    Guess I better put a fuel cell in my 57... Was gonna coat it... Somebody already chopped my spare tire hole in half, so no biggy to cut the rest out...
    Vice Grip garage did a chain-in-the-tank with CLR as cleaning agent.... I think that makes sense.... you rattle the tank with the CLR or liquid plumber in the tank - and that converts the rust along with beating off the scale. The issue is coating it afterwards, simply don't. In my opinion it's too temperamental - and if it goes wrong, it goes really wrong.

Leave a comment:

• Deaf Bob
    replied
    Guess I better put a fuel cell in my 57... Was gonna coat it... Somebody already chopped my spare tire hole in half, so no biggy to cut the rest out...

Leave a comment:

• SuperBuickGuy
    replied
    I like the holley hydramat but the problem is you have to pull the tank if it gets plugged..... that said, this tank wouldn't have worked for 4 years without sealing - it was marginal when I fixed it..... and they aren't cheap... I cut corners when I built this, some worked quite well, others not so much - kind of a life happens, and one of my friends can say he pulled my '40.... again.
    Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; December 3, 2019, 08:45 AM.

Leave a comment:

• 1946Austin
    replied
    I'll never seal a tank in any vehicle I own. I was coming back from Tonasket, Wa. a few years ago in my '69 Suburban when it coughed to a stop like it ran out of gas. Of course I was in the middle of nowhere with no cell service, and the back of my Burb loaded. I coasted to a stop as far off the road as possible, but still dangerously close to the edge.
    I opened the hood to look around and a quick look down the carb showed no gas when I pumped it. I checked my clear filter and saw particles of junk in it, but no gas in it. After a few minutes I somehow got it to fire, but it would not run over 15 mph uphill. I limped along the side with cars blowing their horns at me. Reached the summit and it went 60 mph downhill. Turned into Goldendale, Wa. and bought a new fuel pump and filter at the NAPA and installed it in the gravel parking lot. Fortunately I always carry tools.
    I hit the road again, and as soon as I got to the first uphill grade it fell on it's face! My trip home the last couple hundred miles took 11 hours, and I stayed on side roads wherever I could. It was scary and excruciating.
    The next day I pulled the pickup assembly from the tank and found some previous owner had left the sock off the pickup! And he'd coated the tank with sealer! In the end of the pickup tube was what looked like black plastic sheeting. I pulled it out, and when I spread it out on the ground it was 7"-8" in diameter! Somehow the pump pulled hard enough to suck it several inches up the pickup tube!
    I dropped the tank and filtered the gas to find all sorts of smaller pieces. I did the chain in the tank routine, and broke more loose. Bought a new pickup and sock, and installed them. Added a second fuel filter before the fuel pump, and haven't had any more problems in 3 or 4 years. But it convinced me I'd never use this sealer crap. And if funds were a question I'd simply buy a fuel cell and replace my tank with a cell. They're much cheaper than a factory style tank, and work as well.

Leave a comment:

• silver_bullet
    replied
    Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
    I touched it then put it away
    I love those $10 video probes that hook up to your phone.... don't like the answer

I need to replace at minimum the pickup and figure out how to get the POR 15 tank coating out. Which I did.... new tank, aeromotive in-tank fuel pump. to be continued when parts arrive
    Sorry....

Leave a comment:

Working...
X