Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
    and look at that, the axle isn't where the trailer hitch mounts

Bwhahhahahahaaahahahhhahhahahahhahahhahahhahahhaha hhah!!!!

Seriously though......you really can't do a 4 link on less than 100" wheelbase. What we are seeing is a figment of our imaginations. Has to be.

Nice work!

Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

• I don't get it, if you want a buggy, why not build a buggy? the whole idea of thinking that putting a Jeep or Toyota hood on a tubular chassis makes it a Jeep or Toyota is baffling to me. I also don't get the truggy thing either - if I'm wheeling hard in the great outdoors, passengers start screaming.... as screaming passengers make my head hurt, I got a motorcycle... that way the helmet contains their screams

the shortbus comment. I told one of those fine computer jockeys on Pirate that they're simply going back to their days on a short bus when they want to extend the wheelbase to 105+ ... after all, we can't call them retards or slow, but the idea that something can't work well for its intended purpose unless it is some arbitrary number is... well... retarded.

the other funny part, so I made a comment on Ih8mud about how, when I suggested that I didn't want 100+ wheelbase (105 came later), that Pirate reacted like I'd just killed Santa by beating him to death with the Easter bunny. While it didn't get much of a laugh on MUD, it did stoke the fires of hate on Pirate... thus, the comment (which was dutifully reposted on MUD) is likely to cause an uproar in the chicken coop that is Pirate because the stooges on travel to both sites cross post. Too bad, really, Pirate has 2, maybe 3 really knowledgeable and helpful people - but the turkeys so outnumber them that Pirate only becomes useful when searching for their experts post through Google.
      Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; February 12, 2015, 11:05 AM.
      Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

• didn't get a lot done tonight... and will have to circle back and fix something I probably should have addressed awhile ago.

first, if you ever want to see how much crap is floating around in my shop after an evening, this picture should clear that up...

yeah, a lot

I cycled the suspension and the pinion is staying centered - which is what I was aiming for... granted, this is a huge amount further down then it will live - but it's nice to know if I want 24" of travel, it's there for the asking

so the guy who sold me the FJ is coming by tomorrow night to get the springs and some tires that were given to me by a really nice guy on MUD, and (honestly) I wanted to show off by having the tires on it

but there's a problem
        on this side, the nut that holds the hub on has an issue

I knew the new spindle was machined tight - and frankly I should have taken it to any of a couple friends with lathes to turn it down one c-hair. I didn't... and now the spindle nut tries to cross thread rather than spin on - I'm hoping that my friend who's doing the front axle has a die to redo the threads... we'll see tomorrow. Ah well, some days I'm a shining example, most times, however, I'm simply a really good warning.

Comment

• get out the jewelers files if he doesn't have a die?
          Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

• That's a lot of welding on the axle! Amazing it stayed true with all the bracketry added to it!

Comment

• you need to pay attention to heat, the axle still isn't completely welded, and it took several days to get to where it is now. On top of that, I have triple checked with my alignment bar...

Comment

• I've still not decided, so I'll throw this out there. Coil overs with dual rate springs would work, but it's really not the intended purpose, coil springs would work, but still have the same issue.... I do SAR, and one of the big benefits of doing a FJ40 is the short wheelbase coupled with the ability to haul 7 close friends (they may not be close before, but on the seats they would be). This creates a unique challenge, since the rig goes from Buick and I (call it 200# each) plus gear (Buick travels light, I don't) of about 50# for me and tools of another 100# or so. All in, with fuel, tips the scales at an estimated 5500 lbs. Now, add 5 more people, granted all won't likely be 200 lbs, but figure 200 lbs total per person and my rig goes to a portly 8000 lbs, all of that over the rear. With coil or dual coil springs, I don't get overloads. I could add air bags, but that would reduce travel (okay, not absolutely, but our intents yes because it's space limited to put the bags)... so, what if I used coil springs and fox air springs? the issue, as I understand it, is the air springs don't have the capacity I'm looking for; however, if I take the dry load with the coil springs, then use the air springs to handle shock-absorbing and overload duties... that would work? right?...

Comment

• Nitrogen charged coil Overs? With a small tank on-board nitrogen tank to adjust for extra loading?

LOTS of nitrogen storage in those small tanks, and cheap to refill. Just a thought...
                  Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

• That's what I always thought airshocks were for anyway.

Check with the forum sponsor guys, I bet they understand what you want to do and the load range/suspension travel you are after.
                    Central TEXAS Sleeper
                    USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

• these aren't grandpa's air shocks

and Fox directly states that you cannot use nitrogen to adjust vehicle height on their coil-overs.

Comment

• maybe air bump stops... then I can use coil/shock or coil-overs with a long travel bump stop... too much weight, I simply increase the charge in the bump stop to carry the load... still thinking

Comment

• brakes

and no, they're not going on top - apparently "fits 14 bolt" doesn't really mean "fits"... oh well, if it were easy.

this picture is "win"

why, you ask? because to check runout, I had to get the nut on the spindle - which required much fine work with a die grinder.... one small step towards completion

Comment

• back to my main project

I bought a "stock" radiator so that I could fit an oil cooler next to the radiator

of course, it doesn't fit the same stock shell, so fabrication will occur
                            but I'll still run a stock, clutch fan so that it stays nice and cool

Comment

• This may not be the black truck but it is slowly becoming a favorite...cant wait to see the progress.....
                              If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

• onward and forward

starting to eyeball how the rear coils will mount

I think it's about 1 coil too tall at this point - but I won't know for awhile, but I will presume I need to remake my spring mounts to get them as close to the frame and axle as possible.

Comment

Working...
                                X