No announcement yet.

FJ40 I call Shipwreck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have been wondering about header wrap...does it shorten the life of the header like the manufacturers say?
    Patrick & Tammy
    - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

• the headers are stainless, so no, it doesn't
      Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

• time to put it together

and start on the rear

and there's the thought process... center a receiver, to the right one of two tow clevises, then the tail light then reverse lights

I'm going to put hidden structure around the tail gate so that I can hang a 42" tire, a cooler, and a couple 5 gallon gas cans... I should probably put a reverse camera rather then a rear view mirror because seeing around the tire will be problematic. Anyway, more on that another day.

and weld a bit then let it cool

Comment

• this is awesome!
          Patrick & Tammy
          - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

• finished welding the fenders

and with only maybe one wave.... I can fix that pretty easily

metaltech points to an article on Pirate (which does a nice job of laying out how these go together) but, given Pirate's penchant for pretty welds - it's a bit ironic that those fenders had so many waves that it was either in a parade or would make a sailor seasick... lol

Comment

• I love it, people are really starting to post up about their projects. I posted yesterday, and this was page 2 tonight... keep it up guys!

Grinding.. I hate grinding.

and it shows

and it's a bit straighter

Comment

• THAT looks better!

I don't mind grinding really. The way I weld I've had to make friends with the grinder! But I don't get attached to the machine - I burn them up with great frequency - something about grinding residue and bearings and brushes, I guess. Once I make to commitment to get THAT grubby I just go for it as so far it's all come off in the tub.

Dan

Comment

• Don't make those fenders too perfect, or you'll be upset when those tires pick up a rock and give you a nice dent from the inside. ;)

Comment

• one more bite at the elephant
                    the rear gate is a rattle trap, and the fix is to make it one gate that folds down rather then both folding out

lots of other stuff going on, so this has slowed a little bit.... but an hour at a time and it'll be done soon enough

Comment

• fender liners

I don't feel too bad hacking these up because they're really in sorry shape

then time to work on the tailgate

Comment

• Excellent.
                        So cool that you are re-engineering everything rather than just throwing big tires and a lift kit on it.

Comment

• so I'm back... I spent the weekend out hiding from kids, dogs and cops (successfully, I might add); and was eventually discovered, dead. The H3 is cleaned back up and I got a bit to get another bite of the elephant done.

yeah, I'm welding and finishing something that doesn't matter and isn't seen... but I know it's there and that's enough

some trimming done

I think I'm going to put a rubber edging there to keep down the dust, mud and (most importantly) squeeks.

verse 2

Comment

• a bit of rust repair tonight

I also spent some quality time removing the failed seam sealant...

Comment

• more bodywork
                              time to weld up holes... granted, most of these are covered by the corner plates; but I don't want water to get behind it so.... away I go

hole needs filling

this bolt has served this purpose before

and cover the shocks

and that's it for tonight

Comment

• it is funny, this gets more views on the Hummer forum...

Comment

Working...
                                X