Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post

of course, for a 3 and 4 link suspension, you do need tough heim joints
    Yes!!! (yelled with exuberance followed with a "Woohoo"!)

Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

ordered the 1/4" wall 2" DOM tubing today
      Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

decisionmaking again

The 350 I have is a 93 Chevy truck 350, I thought it was a 4 bolt main... nope, so now I'm questioning again (and don't start with me about 4 bolt vs. 2 bolt) - do I build this as a cheap-build... simply service the Vortec heads, re-ring, rebearing, flat tappet cam; do I buy another motor; or do I hold out for a 6.0 liter? The rear axle and suspension is where I'm going to spend some dollars, and if I get any kind of windfall, it's going to be to purchase a Atlas 2 transfer case. I think that skimping on the motor and trans would be the best place because those are so easy to change when a deal pops up... so a 350/350 combination will become a 6.0l, 4L60e when the right deal comes along...

thoughts?

the motor really isn't in that bad of shape and I do have several turbo 350s, include a dual bolt pattern 4x4 transmission (shush Dan ;))

Yesterday I was gifted these

small yes, but the price was right

Comment

My $0.02. Work on the rest of it while looking for the 6.0l as it sounds like that's what you really want. If you get to the point that you need the motor before the "right" deal pops up you can make the call then. Question: What is the cost of rebuilding the 350 vs the incremental cost of not getting a good deal on the 6.0l?
          Chris - HRPT Long Haul 03, 04, 05, 13, 14, 15,16 & 18
          74 Nova Project
          66 Mustang GT Project

92 Camaro RS Convertible Project
          79 Chevy Truck Project
          1956 Cadillac Project

Comment

Clean it, dingle-ball it, slop it back together..................and focus on the suspension stuff.

You could gear this thing to run a Briggs-n-ScrapIron if it came to that. Probably won't come to that, deals show up all the time when you have your eyes open.

Link-it, link-it, link-it......
            Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

Originally posted by 74NovaMan View Post
              My $0.02. Work on the rest of it while looking for the 6.0l as it sounds like that's what you really want. If you get to the point that you need the motor before the "right" deal pops up you can make the call then. Question: What is the cost of rebuilding the 350 vs the incremental cost of not getting a good deal on the 6.0l?

I dunno, if I shop at 7-11, I can probably get a free rebuild kit with coffee and donut purchase - last time I looked, the bearings, rings, and gaskets were like ~100; the cam, if I cheap out and go Summit racing is like $79.95. The heads are good enough, but I'd have to pay to get the oil seals changed and the stems cut so I can run a more aggressive cam. Fortunately, I already have springs from my burned-down blower debacle.... call it $500.00 to have a new motor.
              Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; September 9, 2014, 07:11 AM.

Comment

No comment........

Dan

Comment

I say go with the 350/350 combo. Save money and time by going with the tried and true... as you said, later you can upgrade if the right deal comes along - and it should be an easy swap.

-analysis paralysis
                  -don't let perfection stand in the way of progress... because as a likely ever-evolving project, perfection will likely never be attained before you sell it - and perfection to you may be a starting point to the next guy. Or, on the other hand, "not quite good enough" to you may be perfection to the next guy.
                  (not that you should build this (your) project for what someone else may want...)

clear as mud?
                  Last edited by yellomalibu; September 9, 2014, 08:16 AM.

Comment

the 350 is cleaner

I still don't know what I'm going to do, but I have a bit of time while I focus on the Posh SAR

Comment

You know, I realize that I just don't work on enough projects simultaneously... so, I'll fix that...

Tonight, while I was dinking on the SAR Posh, I figured I'd reduce the numbers of holes in the floor by 1

Comment

I always liked the old Toyota trucks. The SBC use to be a popular swap. Isn't the AX15 a Peugeot trans? I recall AMC used them only because it was cheaper then the T5.I don't think the Jeep guys are too fond of them.
                        Tom
                        Overdrive is overrated

Comment

Originally posted by Huskinhano View Post
                          I always liked the old Toyota trucks. The SBC use to be a popular swap. Isn't the AX15 a Peugeot trans? I recall AMC used them only because it was cheaper then the T5.I don't think the Jeep guys are too fond of them.

You're thinking the AX 5, which was a gussied up t-5. The AX 15 is made by Aisin and is in about every manual trans Toyota pickup built since the Tacoma came out. It will handle 300 lb torque... which, behind a 4.0 or just about anything less than a V8; more than sufficient...

Comment

more floor work

I have a lot more welding to do, but it's getting there

Comment

Impressive
                              Last edited by silver_bullet; September 19, 2014, 04:40 PM.
                              Patrick & Tammy
                              - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

Man...drawing those lines on your rusty floor boards must be really hard on your crayons.

Comment

Working...
                                X