No announcement yet.

FJ40 I call Shipwreck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I like the second way, though it will have nothing to do with anything. I just like the idea of the terminals pointing backwards, seems like it would be easier to get to if you had to crawl under the car in a super-hot-flash-critical-pinch kind of way.

Comment

• I vote for an outside cut-off switch, race car style.

Dan

Comment

• There will be a hidden, battery disconnect. I'm moving the hitch, and surrounding the batteries with 3/16" steel. On top of that, the batteries will be in individual battery boxes. This isn't a race car, if it is in a 200 mph crash, it's very unlikely that I'd much car if the batteries were shorting as I'd be quite dead.
        Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

• go ahead and play through sir... we will watch and admire...
          Patrick & Tammy
          - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

• awww, look, my first optima was obviously preggers when I got her and she had an offspring!

time to start figuring fitment

the hitch wasn't straight, so it was easy enough to convince myself to remove it... I'll go with an under-mount. It certainly wasn't easy to get out - I installed it a bit too well. oh well, it's out now

so a 3rd brake light!

uh, no

fit the corner guards and cut the holes for the lights

now to make it permanent

Comment

• Regis and I decided to mount the battery box to the body... we couldn't think of a reason why not and the advantage that it'd be sealed to the body.... I just realized why I don't wanna mount it to the body... those suckers weigh 60 lbs and I really don't want to be throwing them in and out while I wire the rig.... I'm thinking channel plus a stainless-box liner will be just fine

Comment

• battery box

still need to create hold downs and a box to seal them.... but the basics are there

Comment

• someone commented that my cables won't be enough to run the motor and the winch.... lol... with me, it's not done until it's over done

onto the front

I've no idea why GM designed this so you couldn't take a valve cover off without taking the front of the motor off... I fixed it

and time to do some CAD work

and there we go... test fit, and waiting for paint to dry

$80.00 for crapola reservoir holders....

and yes, that's stainless steel... again, it's not done until over done.... I might even polish them simply because I can.

Comment

• you're turning it into a fishing rig? What's it need rod holders for? You plan on spending a lot of time "dead in the water" waiting for a tow?

It's really looking like it's getting close to the finish line. Nice work counselor.
                    Last edited by Beagle; November 24, 2015, 06:10 AM.
                    Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

• Pump mounted

run a wire to see how long of belt I need (95-96")

my next-ish step is to get this started before the body is mounted.... need a water pump for that happen....

test-fit the clamps

Comment

• I'm sure that you know this, but IIRC, that would be the belt for a blazer to 1995 or an astro from 1995 to 2000? 955K6??
                        Last edited by silver_bullet; November 26, 2015, 04:08 AM.
                        Patrick & Tammy
                        - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

• uh, no I didn't know that, neither did the auto parts store - I got a belt yesterday, they gave me one that was too short... I wanted 95-96 inches got 94.5
                          Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; November 26, 2015, 05:06 AM.

Comment

• Good deal - the part number Patrick listed is a six rib 95.5" belt... 955K6 . A 960K6 would be 96.0 inches ID 6 rib. Parts guy doesn't need to know what it fits when you give him the part number.

Except for the warranty, I'd be tempted to say "Maytag" or since you didn't respond to the fishing joke,maybe "Alumacraft".
                            Last edited by Beagle; November 26, 2015, 05:16 AM.

Comment

• I know this, I was ready to start throwing hammers because the belt wasn't fitting - then I saw the package said 945.... fortunately, it's from my NAPA so it's pretty simple to swap it.... today is 7 hours of driving with 3 hours (or less if I can swing it) of f2f with family....

Comment

• I figured you did, but the techie comes out in me. I made a living off of spelling errors and telling people things like 94.5 is one less than 95.5. Happy day, good hunting. (or is that fishing?) Hope the face time is good.
                                Last edited by Beagle; November 26, 2015, 08:08 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X