Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• silver_bullet
    replied
    We have all the faith in the world that you'll get it sorted !

Leave a comment:

• SuperBuickGuy
    replied
    well this is fun, drove the '40 tonight, there's a hitch in the steering box. This just started after the last round of repairs and fixes.... you can muscle through it but it's definitely not safe.

so I guess I'm pulling the box apart to figure out the why. While I'm at it, I'll drill and tap for hydro-assist... but I don't need this, I'm suppose to leave for the Rubicon in 12 days.

Leave a comment:

• 74NovaMan
    replied
    Your shop lion seems to be fitting in nicely. Have you noticed a corresponding decrease in pest activity?

Leave a comment:

• Monster
    replied
    Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
    ... take picture, remove cat, take picture....

Leave a comment:

• SuperBuickGuy
    replied
    final task... replace the steering joint

easy access.. or not

as you can clearly see... this is a cat

changing it wasn't terrible. I put a collapsible shaft on the steering shaft - thus, just slide it back, pull the old off, put the new in place... take picture, remove cat, take picture....

Leave a comment:

• SuperBuickGuy
    replied
    it works but this isn't the end of it

Leave a comment:

• SuperBuickGuy
    replied
    Originally posted by Captain View Post
    Just Me.....
    but I have RESERVATIONS about Drive Shaft Parking/Emergency Brakes........
    Off Roading, a Common Failure is a Blown U joints.....
    So, Jose'......what is going to Stop The YouTube Video of your Demise as you are Praying for Mary Mother Of Jesus to Save You going to that Cassom of Death ...
    you may wish to go back and read this build thread. The only way the e-brake doesn't work is if both driveshafts fail or all 4 axles fail... anything less then that and it ain't goin' nowhere.

Also, as SB points out - transfer case brakes are far stronger then hub brakes because you have the gear ratio helping hold.... in this case, 4.56 times more holding power then an axle brake.

And yet more reasons, the biggest problem of e-brakes is the brakes can get wet and hold nothing - having that holding power up and away from what's getting dunked... is a good thing

and still another thing, cables - having cables hanging down at the axle is simply waiting for that precious moment when it gets caught and ripped square off the vehicle.... you can't make the cables tight because the suspension cycles - thus there needs to be slack in the cable.

Manufacturers stopped making t-case brakes because of the expense, not because they weren't better.

and one other little thing.... did you notice the large, rubber chocks nestled behind the seats? yeah.... not only is my system as safe as is possible, it has redundancy.

and you should probably also note that I've been wheeling this thing for 6 years - no hurdling to doom....

sorry, missed your u-joint comment... quality 1350s... all the way through - you know, the ones they use in motorhomes... and again... the only U-joint that's failing is the one on the steering shaft....
    Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; August 18, 2023, 06:59 AM.

Leave a comment:

• silver_bullet
    replied
    I believe that it is more of an issue when the brake is mounted on the pinion rather than the transmission.... the way that Aaron has done it (Land Rover OEM style ) is a much more stable application and I don't forsee any issues with the way he is pro-active on maintenance... looks pretty good to me!

Leave a comment:

• Captain
    replied
    Just Me.....
    but I have RESERVATIONS about Drive Shaft Parking/Emergency Brakes........
    Off Roading, a Common Failure is a Blown U joints.....
    So, Jose'......what is going to Stop The YouTube Video of your Demise as you are Praying for Mary Mother Of Jesus to Save You going to that Cassom of Death ...

Leave a comment:

• SuperBuickGuy
    replied
    time to get back to this

void every warranty

changed my mind, again, on the lever

basically waiting for help this weekend to tighten it up

Leave a comment:

• SuperBuickGuy
    replied
    Originally posted by Monster View Post
    I love following your builds .. sorry our 50,000 views don't measure up, but we're all sincere.

I've tried to build this membership up, but social media sites have killed forums.
    I think that forums are the better version of YouTube ASE certifications. Will it go viral? no. Is it a lot more helpful? yes. While HRM is working to alienate every single one of their few remaining subscribers, magazines like Grass Roots Motorsports are thriving.

I also hear from a lot of people who read the front page but never interact in the forum.. heck, my dad is one of those - instructed him several times on how to get into the forum... nope.

And finally, there are sites with big numbers, but I don't think most would be here if this place became like those...

maybe do a membership poll of active members? from what I've seen, they have pretty good ideas... even that FGZ guy.

Leave a comment:

• Monster
    replied
    I love following your builds .. sorry our 50,000 views don't measure up, but we're all sincere.

I've tried to build this membership up, but social media sites have killed forums.

Leave a comment:

• SuperBuickGuy
    replied
    need to start driving this to be ready for September... it's also 109* so low-impact stuff is key to survival

in this case, moved the Blazer off the lift (under it's own power)

​I need to finish the e-brake and the lift makes that a lot easier

and also, monster, there's another place I post this thread.... 350,000 views or something silly like that...

Leave a comment:

• SuperBuickGuy
    replied
    Originally posted by Monster View Post
    Wasn't giving you a hard time about the eight years, rather commenting that it was almost to the day.
    I know, but these "gonna lose the YouTube Channel" idiots are starting to annoy...

Leave a comment:

• Monster
    replied
    Wasn't giving you a hard time about the eight years, rather commenting that it was almost to the day.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X