No announcement yet.

FJ40 I call Shipwreck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My electrical mantra is "It's always the ground". While that isn't literally true it has often served me well. You're a smart guy and no doubt will find the culprit.

Dan

Comment

• Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy
      so.. it wouldn't start before I loosened the seat, then started just fine once I did.
      Matching port to header is worth more than just fixed exhaust leak - good call.

Dude... you're a big guy. You bumped the hell out of the seat. I'm not a big guy and I bump the hell out of the seat. I'm thinking either you've got a grounding issue (which I'm curious how that whole thing is driven from a power source standpoint but not enough to go look) like Dan said, or like you are heading, the fuel pump has an obstruction. I'm assuming you could hear the pump running but no fuel at the hose end. If not, then I'm in Dan's camp.

A check valve/ball shouldn't stop a 40 psi pump though - it would effectively deadhead it and I'm pretty sure pressure would build. I won't tell the joke about the time dad didn't clean the bb sized pellets out of the pheasant. 40 PSI is a lot of pressure when you think about it and most of those pumps have some volume capacity too..

Rubber mallet in tool box, next time it pulls that crap, give it a couple of whacks. Not kidding... A hammer is *the ultimate badass multipurpose tool ®* capable of fixing both crud in fuel pump and shorted wiring. I've been known to drop old p.c.'s from 4-6 inches up to reseat boards though. YMMV

-edit- or just move the seat, as a test. Old timer story, Dad's Taurus would drain the battery every time he got it home from the dealership (oil change, check ups). They were baffled. He finally figured it out, they were moving the seat and the switch wouldn't center, leaving some current drain possible. Jiggle the knob, problem solved. Along those lines, if this continues, hardwire that mofo with a fuse and a switch!

Late edit - Where is the tank vent on this installation? Zero chance of pinch?

Dealerships are for body shop estimates... much like tech lines. More than likely, you'll have to brainpower this thing out.
      Last edited by Beagle; August 13, 2020, 04:33 PM.
      Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

and ordered an aeromotive pump... I really don't want to do this again.
        a mechanical pump and an edelbrock carb
        would guarantee that....just saying.

Last edited by fatguyzinc; August 13, 2020, 09:12 PM.

Comment

• I've wanted to go aftermarket EFI for some time now. But have two friends who are currently both fighting issues with theirs, and both very unhappy. One finally went back to his carburetor on his '68 Cougar with a stroked 351 that I think is around 420 something? His mileage went to heck, and all he got from Holley was "give it time to learn".
          The second friend has a Holley EFI on his '70 Camaro 383 stroker, and it never ran right. Holley actually upgraded it for free to a higher end unit, and it's still not working either. He's lost all summer driving it since he installed the first one in April.
          I'm holding out until I hear of an EFI that's pretty bulletproof, and has a fantastic review.

Comment

• Sounds typical. Instead of answering questions promptly, they instead make excuses. And instead of doing a little research, or reading up a little, they ask questions they already have the answers for. So sad that companies seem to hold good customer service in such low regard, and use covid 19 as an excuse for providing poor service response time.

You're right about the EFI and how it's shown on TV to be just a plug and play affair. I didn't even know that any systems beyond the really high end systems had tuning ability? Thought you had to spend over $2500 to get a tuneable system you could tune with your laptop.

Comment

• Wow. Good thing they already have the big name. They would never build a new name with any intangible value with that attitude towards customers.
              Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

guaranty I'd die on that 35% plus hill that I took a picture of... since when is an electric pump not mechanical?
                the spring loaded needle and seat set works WONDERS for
                an off road application. ask me how i know...

as for hating EFI, i hate EVERYTHING computer controlled.
                if theres any job in the world with built in job security, its IT tech.

i like carbs and mechanical fans and mechanical pumps and
                such because they have rarely left me stranded--but EVERY
                electric fan, holley blue or red pump, aftermarket efi, etc has
                done it to me and lots of other people i know of.

Last edited by fatguyzinc; August 15, 2020, 09:20 AM.

Comment

• FGZ.. that needle/seat spring CAN and DOES fall off.. Have had it happen..

Comment

• ‘90’s TBI in general does a good job of proving how simple it can be to make an engine run. I’ll never forget the first time I saw fuel spraying the top of a closed butterfly valve.
                    Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

• Wow
                      Patrick & Tammy
                      - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

• do you ground the efi sensors back to the efi controller or use chassis/battery ground?

Comment

go back a couple years to where I'm ranting about Dakota Digital and their grounding demands (that you cannot use the frame as the ground) and which didn't f ix the problem....the grounds have redundant grounds
                          So, the Holley folks were adamant that you run a dedicated ground from the battery to the ECU. I too have a ton of grounds (3 power train to frame and 2 body to frame) but got tired of arguing with them so I added the one they wanted. They also were quite clear about wire routing to minimize "noise". Seems "clean" power and grounds are important to EFI systems.

Comment

• ground loop interference, low voltage, low current devices... it doesn't take a whole lot of noise to get a bad signal. Just throwing it out there for consideration.

Comment

the sarcastic in me suggests the only reason it was running was because of the rpm noise issue. I fixed that issue, then it stopped running.
                              and I'll say it again, even more directly, there is not a grounding issue. something within the computer was unhappy and it stopped triggering the injectors....
                              I'll just quote that for posterity in case it happens again. I own Nike stock, no worries.

Comment

• Hope they find the issue, and get it back to you quickly.

I contacted Holley recently with a very simple question. What size are the factory jets in my Quick Fuel 650 double pumper as they go out the door. Of course I could pull the bowls easily to find out, but wanted to know before pulling the bowls. It only took them a week to finally tell me they're 71 primary, and 74 secondary. Way to big for my 350 SBC.
                                I emailed back to tell them their response time was horrible, and I'd already gotten tired of waiting and pulled the metering blocks to see for myself.

Comment

Working...
                                X