FJ40 I call Shipwreck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ejs262 View Post
    How do you like the beadlocks? I've been considering a set for my Suburban, but I'm not sure I can handle not having my stock 1988 hubcaps anymore...
    1) you can make beadlocks out of your steelies
    2) remember these words "how can you tell they're real beadlocks?" beadlocks aren't (usually) legal. There's a couple companies that have made legal ones, but homemade ones and mine aren't 'legal'....
    Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; December 10, 2020, 09:57 AM.
    Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

• Originally posted by ejs262 View Post
      How do you like the beadlocks? I've been considering a set for my Suburban, but I'm not sure I can handle not having my stock 1988 hubcaps anymore...
      Speedway. $43 per wheel. And keep your hubcaps.

This bead lock kit welds to 15" steel wheel. One piece steel ring with attached threaded inserts. Complete with mounting hardware and 3/16" thick weld-on steel ring. All threaded nuts come pre-attached. Winners use these on both the inside and the outside! Item Details Bolts, inner & outer steel rings included

Comment

• Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post

1) you can make beadlocks out of your steelies
        2) remember these words "how can you tell they're real beadlocks?" beadlocks aren't (usually) legal. There's a couple companies that have made legal ones, but homemade ones and mine aren't 'legal'....
        I'm not super worried about the legality of it, as you imply, it's easy to say they're fake and have the conversation end there.

Originally posted by 1946Austin View Post

Speedway. $43 per wheel. And keep your hubcaps.

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Speed...xoC79EQAvD_BwE
        I said hubcaps, but really, they're wheel covers. I'm not sure I'd be able to run a beadlock, and retain them, but I really love the look they give the old truck.

"I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."

1985 Pontiac Fiero, 3.5 V6 turbo, 5 speed
        1988 Suburban, 350 TBI 700r4, 4x4
        2006 2500 HD 6.0 4x4

Comment

• the other choice is use wheels like I have on my Colorado or Suburban - which have inner lips to keep the tire on the bead. They work really well.To keep the hub caps, you'd probably have to fasten them somehow to the wheel.

Comment

• got the Suburban ready for a trip, but that's boring stuff... since I didn't have a lot of time for other stuff today - figured I'd do some mirror work
            the parts

I put these on initially... was easy and cheap

weld the adapter on

think it looks better with its stock mirrors

then onto brake stuff.... the line lock worked for awhile, now, not so much.... maybe go more manual?

and I really need to resolve the transfer case brake.... so this handle should do it

Comment

• On Sunday, I'm taking part in a drive by for support of a family whose Marine couldn't beat his demons. That means I need to have a way to attach a flag to show his family that we do care.

Comment

• slight miss... the fix

the real culprit

that said, the ignition will now be completely controlled from the EFI computer

of course all fixes start with solving another problem... this case, you can't hear it when the glove box is closed....

Comment

• a decision to make...
                  use the big cap HEI or the small cap HEI from the TBI system.

so the random pluses and minuses

big cap - I can always put the chip back in, hook up the vacuum, and untie the mechanical advance
                  down side is simple.... I have to do that list

small cap... big hole to fill when I remove the chip and replace it with 2 wires.
                  Also it's more of a pain to wire and reinstall the coil
                  in that vein, the only place for the CDI is above the distributor (needs air flow).... which means I could have electric field issues - if the coil is moved (small cap), that isn't as much of a problem... that said I've never had trouble with a 6A or 6AL....

Comment

• went with HEI big cap.... mostly because I didn't want to pull the distributor
                    as with all good things, the project starts with something seemingly unrelated... removal of the battery access door

needed to disconnect so I made the entire access removeable

I'm pretty sure I had a phasing problem... it's firing at the 'end' of the tab then corroding... voila, my misfire

in unrelated, time to fix this mess

about that breaker.... it works great, unless you're using the winch and you have an alternator that puts out more amps then its rated capacity
                    cleaner

locking out the distributor - the wrong way, unless it's Saturday night and you want to use it on Sunday

and it runs, tomorrow - make the wiring better

Comment

• so wisely, I wrote the plug numbers on the end where the cap goes.... wrote the wrong number on 2.... want to guess who almost burned his '40 down before he figured it out. Once that was done, all the tuning I'd done was wrong....

that said prayer gave me wisdom to check firing order, then wisdom to get the various fuel and timing settings close enough to make it to the memorial drive by. I kept telling myself (it almost burned twice), then took 2 stops to get it so it'd work at low speed (because timing was so far off).... left at 11:30, should have been there at 11:55. Procession was to start at 12:50, started about 5 late.... thankfully.

Was the only '40 there, there was an FJ...

still, I just wish .... seriously, don't kill yourself, it hurts.... even people you've never met.

(all of this was for a memorial procession for a Marine who ended his life at 34 - there were at least 100 probably close to 200 vehicles who showed up to support his wife and two daughters.....)

Comment

• Thank you for your support... Sadly 22 veterans take their own lives every day... I personally have been battling my demons for over 30 years, and, have only recently admitted to having PTSD... I am getting help and support through veterans groups and friends like yourself...: https://www.google.com/search?q=22+v...hrome&ie=UTF-8
                        Patrick & Tammy
                        - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

• Patrick, proud of you for getting the help you need. A coworker (Viet Nam vet) had a plaque on his desk that read "If you can't handle your own problems what kind of man are you?" And my response was "About normal." We all need a hand sometimes - and I'm not even a vet.

Dan

Comment

• Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
                            Patrick, proud of you for getting the help you need. A coworker (Viet Nam vet) had a plaque on his desk that read "If you can't handle your own problems what kind of man are you?" And my response was "About normal." We all need a hand sometimes - and I'm not even a vet.

Dan
                            We all get by with a little help from our friends.

Comment

• now that it's running right, time to retune

and an error code... FiTech is not tolerant at all about electronic noise.... so a shield that keeps the wires away from the distributor is in order

Comment

• today was a snow day
                                same normal cast of characters

but we didn't go last year...
                                new tires tried out

simply works

last time I took this picture, it was sunnier, today it was better.... but not because of the weather.

made our own tracks

snow wasn't perfect

who cares?

there's new things to tidy up. An oil leak from the steering box, a vibration from the driveshaft and a transmission that is again making noise. Add to this that the radiator seems to be slightly plugged.... and yet.... what a great day

Comment

Working...
                                X