No announcement yet.

FJ40 I call Shipwreck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• That looks similar to the spot I took the Pig to last week, the back end kept trying to slide off the road, it was pretty sketchy, but still pretty fun.
    "I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."

1985 Pontiac Fiero, 3.5 V6 turbo, 5 speed
    1988 Suburban, 350 TBI 700r4, 4x4
    2006 2500 HD 6.0 4x4

Comment

• Any Off Road Adventures, that you are not on the end of a Tow Strap to the Rendezvous Lot is a GREAT RIDE !!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Captain View Post
        Any Off Road Adventures, that you are not on the end of a Tow Strap to the Rendezvous Lot is a GREAT RIDE !!!!
        it's never failed me on a trip... around town? absolutely, it's why I have AAA...
        Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

• Not saying my Timber Cruiser hasn't thrown Wrenches at me on outtings.......
          Like this combination Off Road/Camping/Tourist Sites excursion in 2016 Click image for larger version

Name:	KIMG0566.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	1.68 MB
ID:	1287060

On the way to Deadwood, from Bismarck, ND, via BLM roads, farm lanes, etc.
          The Fan Clutch, Gave Up The Ghost !!!
          Off Roading requires a 100% "McGyver Mentality" !!!!

YOU DON'T CALL THE AUTO CLUB, Give them your GPS coordinates, and wait for the Friendly Road Side Service truck..........
          You Better put together a Plan to Get You Going or the Buzzards are going to Pick Your Bones Clean......

So in the Middle of Area BFE crossing the SD Indian Resevation (Another Motivation), I broke open the Emergency Supper Fluid......Beer !
          A couple of Leinies, looking things over,
          TA DA !!! It hits me, get out the Ironworkers Tie Wire spool, twist up some lengths, weave it between the fan blades, back to a fan pulley bolt, repeat 4 times.....just locked the fan to constant on !!

I'm outta there in little over an hour plus a couple of Beer Therapy's and ran the rest of the entire trip on a wired up fan hub !!

And Now Back to Your Regular Programming.....

​​​​​
          ​​​

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	KIMG0218.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	923.1 KB
ID:	1287294 Epilogue.......
            I also pack a "Off Road Field Service Tent" on the hauling trailer for at the Base Camp.
            as in these pix, first is at the job "Man Camp" replacing said fan clutch on a Sunday off Click image for larger version

Name:	KIMG0579.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	915.1 KB
ID:	1287292
            . Others from Off Road Rallies.

Click image for larger version

Name:	KIMG0412.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	786.4 KB
ID:	1287293

​​​​​

Comment

• So I've decided... the new-to-me AW5 is making noises, and I have a couple dollars so time to upgrade to the NV4500 and Atlas t-case... this will take awhile, though, because it's a 12 week lead time for a t-case. And between now and then I'll continue to drive it until it breaks.

Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; February 10, 2021, 08:58 AM.

Comment

• It's here, but dark (so no pictures yet).

Not thrilled with the packing job - I joked with my friend that I add insult to his generosity of allowing it be delivered to his shop by spilling oil all over the floor.

She's a big girl - so I'm still questing whether or not I may just go with the 4l60e (bonus is no adapter is necessary), or I'll engineer this in place. Even if I don't put this in the '40, there is another project coming soon where a 5 speed would be primo.... we will see.....

Comment

• and pictures

Comment

• $1900 v. $2700

it seems like a simple decision. Rebuilding the D300 transfer case (it's making a noise like an intermediate bearing is gone). Then adapting it to the NV4500... So here it goes. Rebuild kit with bearings $280, 4:1 gearset $750 (but it may not be available from any manufacturer now), 32 spline upgrade to forward driveshaft ($300), billet cover to fix the leaking one $120. Adapter from the NV4500 to the D300 $450 or $750. Benefit is the transfer case is shorter than the Atlas (and for rear driveshafts, this is very important). In either case, I need to modify the driveshafts so it's a wash.
                    v.
                    Atlas 2 - which takes 12 weeks to get and I get 4.3:1 or 5:1 low range

If I do the atlas, and sell the setup I have now, I might get $500 for all of it so $1900 v. $2200 (but even so, I'm only about 20% sure I could sell it)....

In other news, the NV4500 is 2" shorter than the current set up and will fit vertically
                    Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; February 21, 2021, 10:59 PM.

Comment

• called and confirmed today about timing... they have a back order of 600 t-cases @ advanced adapters. JBConversions has a 10 week wait for 4:1 gears....

I am getting a lower 1st gear with the NV4500, so perhaps wait on the 4:1 conversion and simply fix what I've got.... but put the nv4500 in (there is still the issue with the throwout bearing that requires the transmission to come out again... benefit is if I do go with AA later, the Dana 300 has all the upgrades and is more valuable....

Comment

• Patrick & Tammy
                        - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

• I'm lost in all this off-road stuff. It's all I can do to get a more-or-less stock S10 chassis down an LSR track.

Dan

Comment

• Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
                            I'm lost in all this off-road stuff. It's all I can do to get a more-or-less stock S10 chassis down an LSR track.

Dan
                            it's all about gravity and traction...

Comment

• For posterity

20 1/2" which is not what's published elsewhere

this is the dimension that worried me

anyway, no decision on the direction... I have Optima to do

Comment

• link wrenches have arrived

for those who don't know, the action of flexing tightens some of the jam nuts on the control arms... getting them back apart can be a challenge....

Comment

Working...
                                X