No announcement yet.

FJ40 I call Shipwreck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steering. When I built this, I didn't have a die for bending the bar that is the panhard bar. Now I do... and I need to correct a few things. When I put the Reid racing knuckles on, I put some high steer arms I had. Problem is it destroyed the Ackermann due to their design.... I don't do rocks, so hanging the steering bar in front of the differential isn't as bad a thing as it would be if I lived somewhere where they pound on rocks.

sad things is I've had these parts for years....

gratuitous Corvette shot and work bench

the biggest issue (beside ackerman) is the panhard bar is too short - that I fix next...

I'm not sure why Reid drilled the taper the way they did - had they put the the TREs in upside down, there would be more clearance. I like the ability to lube that joint, so I'm not putting heims in - but if I had a wish, it would be that... ah well, it should be fine

next up is cut out some new brackets for the upper panhard bar mount.... the goal is parallel with the steering cross bar and the same length. For those who wonder what it does as is - don't hold onto the steering wheel when accelerating.... if you do, you'll be in on-coming traffic. Not a huge deal if you know about it, a great anti-theft device if you don't....
    Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; March 10, 2022, 11:49 PM.
    Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

• With your panhard bar being shorter than your drag link, wont this create a little bind as the suspension travels and the two run in different arcs?

Comment

• Originally posted by 1946Austin View Post
        With your panhard bar being shorter than your drag link, wont this create a little bind as the suspension travels and the two run in different arcs?
        no
        I suppose it could in some situations but not this one

Comment

• My wife wanted opening side windows for her JunK .... today was install day for one

and yes, the window broke coming out

she wanted complete removeable - so it's completely removeable...
          Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; April 17, 2022, 09:22 PM.

Comment

• no updates since we moved... whoa... not much of one today.... I got the soft top bows powdercoated.

that said, no news is good news as it means it's working just fine....

Comment

• time for its winter coat

did 2 things this year, first, powder coated the top bows

and also ordered hinges that make it easier to swap doors.... which I'm waiting for... but outside of that - it's ready for snow

Comment

• hinges arrived - so time to get them painted and the doors on

but first some etch primer then paint

Comment

• Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
                  hinges arrived - so time to get them painted and the doors on
                  A lot hinges on getting those right! (sorry.....)

Comment

• Originally posted by DanStokes View Post

A lot hinges on getting those right! (sorry.....)
                    somehow I knew you'd hang that out there.

Comment

• I decided I didn't care, at the moment, about if it matched (it doesn't).... but done is done

Comment

• Gotta. SFL save for later ie: redo.

Comment

• Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
                          time for its winter coat

did 2 things this year, first, powder coated the top bows

and also ordered hinges that make it easier to swap doors.... which I'm waiting for... but outside of that - it's ready for snow

That's a Great Looking "Land Crusher" !!!!
                          and a Soft Top Too !! I've mostly seen Tin Tops.

Happy Trails !!

Comment

• Originally posted by Captain View Post

That's a Great Looking "Land Crusher" !!!!
                            and a Soft Top Too !! I've mostly seen Tin Tops.

Happy Trails !!
                            this is my 7th FJ40. I've had both makers of soft top and several hard tops including a corrugated top (early FJ40).... I like this one best of all, in part, because of the soft top. The material is the same stuff Mercedes makes their convertible tops out of - so it's insulated. This is the warmest FJ40 I've ever had. if I have the heat blasting, I have to have the the window down because it's way too warm.... my first soft top, that was NOT the case.... miserable thing (Best Top), the other thing is this top also has the coolest name "Trollhole" - named after the guy who developed it .... I won't explain his name you'll have to search... it's a bit, well, wicked.

Comment

• Assembly commences

the hinges fit quite well

and then one bolt.... I had this apart 10 years ago.... I don't know how I'm going to get it out but I went onto other things because I was getting a bit warm

a bit of advice, lube the pins before trying to install. It's a good, tight fit - and you need to leave the hinges loose to align everything.... I fought this side for a bit and eventually took the top hinge back off the door and put it together....

tomorrow I'll figure out how to get that last bolt out - it's in an impossible spot (the top, innermost bolt)...

Comment

• Just happened to notice.......
                                Plan on a Ventilation Project?
                                The Applicator is precariously resting on that left plastic fender flare........

Comment

Working...
                                X