No announcement yet.

FJ40 I call Shipwreck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pretty sweet project. I have a decent CJ-5 (insert raspberry here) body/frame/axles available to me for $250 and a my own pile of engines/parts...it's been very tempting...

But, I'd have to call it project 51 'cause of the other 50 in front of it. I think I'll just watch yours come along instead.

Comment

Originally posted by Loren View Post
      Pretty sweet project. I have a decent CJ-5 (insert raspberry here) body/frame/axles available to me for $250 and a my own pile of engines/parts...it's been very tempting...

But, I'd have to call it project 51 'cause of the other 50 in front of it. I think I'll just watch yours come along instead.

honestly, if I were to do a CJ, that's all I'd want to start (minus the axles, whoever came up with the idea of pressed on flanges?)... and I do like the short wheelbase of the '5 - but, with my screwy knee, I don't fit in it.

you know, if you got that CJ, that would make Stiney - the guy who started all these thoughts - as the only guy without a Heep.
      Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; August 17, 2014, 08:44 AM.
      Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Hey....I do so to have a Heep! I'm just jonesen for a much older one. Take two, they're small right?

Last edited by STINEY; November 14, 2014, 01:59 PM.
        Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

Originally posted by STINEY View Post
          Hey....I do so to have a Heep! I'm just jonesen for a much older one. Take two, they're small right?

I've considered smaller, but the former head of the SAR 4x4 group had a willys, and while we are the same dimension vertically, he is a tad wider. When it was just him in his willys, it looked like there were two people inside.
          Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; August 17, 2014, 09:50 PM.

Comment

Jeep, Toyota, Hummer, Ford... whatever your flavor, I still live and breath 4x4 and if the moment came where all my cars went away because they couldn't make it up to my cabin... that would be the best day of my life.

I think Loren's problem will be Gail. She likes micro cars - and she gets one gander at that Heep, and the gander will tell the goose to go puff off

Even worse, the goose will gladly do so cause he likes the gander... silly geese.
            Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; August 17, 2014, 09:53 PM.

Comment

Loren likes men?... Goose is female, gander is male... Gail is a goose, Loren is a gander, if he likes gander....

Comment

Originally posted by Deaf Bob View Post
                Loren likes men?... Goose is female, gander is male... Gail is a goose, Loren is a gander, if he likes gander....
                Oops, I must have breathed too much bondo last night, I'd ninja edit it, but since I got dissed about building a car with bondo - I'll leave it.
                Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; August 18, 2014, 06:50 AM.

Comment

That's just ducky.
                  Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

and it comes home
                    Regis, watching carefully

warn winch... overheated...

note the brake lights are on? that's Buick sleeping on the brake pedals... both lights work, this is good

sad former owner

on the trailer, ready to go

Comment

Man, he was a real Land Cruiser guy, eh?

One in the garage, one in the driveway, and one J60 parked on the street out front!

I have several memories of beating on a roommate's parents' J80, but never really offroading it - by that time Toyota had turned them into luxury beasts and he was too afraid to wreck it.

Looks like a fun project!

Comment

The 60 in the street runs, but leaks a lot. The FJ40, it's a 78 that someone put a toyota diesel into (from a FJ62 IIRC) along with the transmission and the transfer case. It's basically just sitting in the FJ, and it's not straight to the frame rails. Whether that was because there's some major problem, or the builder was a hack - I dunno. But I wouldn't have made the same deal for that one as I did for this one.

Comment

oh so tempting

Comment

I'd put a Caddy in anything once...probably twice.

Comment

Originally posted by AFFORDILLAC View Post
                              I'd put a Caddy in anything once...probably twice.

I've already had that Cadillac in a Studebaker, so for me it'd be twice.... three times if you consider the Studebaker went from 4x4 to 2wd...

Comment

you know, I do have a spare 455

Comment

Working...
                                X