Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
    oh so tempting
    OooOooOoo.....its so close.....just give the FJ a little push......almost there......

Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

BBB! BBB! BBB!!!!!

Dan

Comment

oh so tempting
        it's already a color coordinated red! lotsa torque too!!
        Patrick & Tammy
        - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

I've already had that Cadillac in a Studebaker, so for me it'd be twice.... three times if you consider the Studebaker went from 4x4 to 2wd...

Three times a lady. If you can get a radiator in there to cool it, I'd be all over it. Mocked up this weekend would be fine.

Comment

Originally posted by AFFORDILLAC View Post

Three times a lady. If you can get a radiator in there to cool it, I'd be all over it. Mocked up this weekend would be fine.

You may be disappointed. I have to paint the Jetta and weld a C3 frame... but after that, I'm totally free to do other stuff.
            Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Sooooo....you have Sunday then?

Comment

uh no... I'm one of those weirdos who claims to be a sinner (Christian) and who actually keeps a Sabbath... so only one day of work

Comment

so the 500 is going to a new home tonight to power a Suburban.... so either a 400 or a 6.5td.... I love diesels in trucks, I really do, but I'm not so sure about diesels in open top vehicles - yes, it'd get great mpg - but a 400 with vortec heads, some kind of edelbrock carb, TBI, or propane wouldn't be bad enough mpg to warrant the stink, not to mention the double, triple or even higher initial buy-in cost.... decisions, decisions... thoughts?

likely, I'll punt - put a NV4500 behind the 400, and someday come up with a diesel solution... I have some big suspension plans for this, and derailing the project with a diesel swap could relegate this to a spot next to the Fiat (which got stopped on wiring, that I've 1/2 solved, but now have no time to finish).
                  Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; August 23, 2014, 06:06 PM.

Comment

swap could relegate this to a spot next to the Fiat (which got stopped on wiring, that I've 1/2 solved, but now have no time to finish).
                    Says the guy ready to embark on his latest...

Comment

Some decisions to make - input is welcome.

a picture of the transfer case

if you'll notice, the cover is missing and what they did was "convert" it to 2wd. The rear housing is gone, internal gears are gone, brake, .... it's just a housing someone pressed a bearing into. I always thought this one was odd because the rear differential was in the middle (they're offset right) on all FJ40s. Someone put a toyota pickup axle in this... and emptied the front housing. I know it seems like I got screwed, but there's a huge contingent out there that thinks FJ40s should be restored - now I have carte blanche to ignore that.... so what to do? despite my love/hate relationship with birfields, there are good quality ones out there - so I'm seriously considering just refilling the front with good bits... cheap to do too, so that's not a huge deal.
                      Rear axle... if I put the FJ one back in, it's offset and it limits me to the FJ transfer case - there's good and bad to that (all gear, pto availability, generally bulletproof - against - I have to adapt a transmission to it, so that's $600). An Atlas II transfer case is a bit spendy, but once you subtract the street price of a transfer case ($1000), and the $600 for the adapter kit - I can buy a brand-new one for $2200... and it'll last longer than me, they are the best there is - however, none of them are right/right outputs.... so what do I do for a rear? I have a Ford 9" that would work, and parts, lockers, everything would be cheap.... or do I get a full floater like a dana 60 or corp 14 bolt?

the rest of the suspension goes like this: 3 link front, 4 link rear, coil overs front, coil springs and shocks rear. The motor will be the 400, my brain says put a 4L80e in it, my heart says NV4500... we'll see which wins.

Thoughts?

In other news, my Scout 2 steering box arrived, it's gonna work slick!

so I climbed up into my loft, and I do have an AX15 Aisin 4x4 transmission - all that I've read says that it should have little problem surviving in my application.... thinking that will be the transmission.
                      Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; August 24, 2014, 09:59 PM.

Comment

What is the front axle to be? I'd make my choice of rear compliment the front in terms of strength& weight, and let something else be the weak link by design. Preferably the cheapest - driveshafts make nice fuses.

Is the weight break between a NV4500 and a 4L80e similar? I'm betting the NV4500 is lighter by a fair margin. Standards have some nice characteristics when wheelin'.....

That Atlas is a no-brainer when you look at the total cost input. Plus clocking is infinite, put the thing in any orientation you desire.
                        Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

I'll leave the front, simply fill it with stronger parts to over come the weak, factory birfields.

Comment

My buddy Darrin came over yesterday in his '72. Good lookin' truck. It has a '77 model engine, but is still slow as molasses. lol
                            Life is short. Be a do'er and not a shoulda done'er.
                            1969 Galaxie 500 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...ild-it-s-alive
                            1998 Mustang GT https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...60-and-a-turbo
                            1983 Mustang GT 545/552/302/Turbo302/552 http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...485-bbr-s-83gt
                            1973 F-250 BBF Turbo Truck http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...uck-conversion
                            1986 Ford Ranger EFI 545/C6 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...tooth-and-nail

Comment

my poor, abused dad.... I found a front differential near(ish) him that will solve the front end problems. I could buy a transfer case from the same guy, but I'm going to hold out for an atlas case - and use the 9" Ford that I've gotten... and I just remembered something.... I have a 9 3/8 3rd member/rear end.... just wrong gears in it

Comment

9 inch bolts in 9.3 housings...

Comment

Working...
                                X