No announcement yet.

FJ40 I call Shipwreck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

if you'd cover up that Fiat so I can't see it in every picture, I'd stop asking about it. Out of sight, out of mind. Or so they say.
    Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Either way you have a belly-button Chevy so what's the difference. I STILL say go with one of your BBBs.

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by cstmwgn View Post
        similar costs IF everything is included in the "kit".
        So you would have a FRESH 400 vs a used (~150k) LS 6

What is the question again?

I hear you but.... ever pulled apart a SBC that had an oil cooler? they simply don't wear... 150k is a lot, but I get EFI - I suppose that's the fundamental question....

And Dan... shush you, you're making too much sense. However, once I go on to sell this (and I do sell everything, eventually) it'll be worth a lot more with either the gen 1 or LS motor.
        Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Originally posted by Beagle View Post
          if you'd cover up that Fiat so I can't see it in every picture, I'd stop asking about it. Out of sight, out of mind. Or so they say.

I do have to move it this weekend to get the Buick (rover) motor out and onto my dad's trailer this weekend... when I push it back,I'll put a big sign over it, in red, that says "Beagle, don't look here"... would that help?
          Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; August 29, 2014, 09:05 AM.

Comment

Have you priced out the difference in cost between a 5.3 and a 6.0 because that might net you with less cost, less miles and similar power.

Comment

Originally posted by William Wilson View Post
              Have you priced out the difference in cost between a 5.3 and a 6.0 because that might net you with less cost, less miles and similar power.
              about $500. The problem with a 5.3 is I have the "high" hp version in my H3, with 4.10 gears, and approximately the same weight... I'm not impressed - it's nice to have the broader power band (than the I-5 H3), but for off-road work - I'd actually give the edge to the 5 cylinder motor because it has 4.56 gears and tons of right-off-idle torque.

I liked the torque of the 6.0 in my GTO, again, within about 900 lbs of similar weight - and the LC has better gearing - so I'd go with that. With that said, I have the opportunity (which I'm in all likelihood going to pass on) to get a 200k 6.0 with a 4L80e transmission - in fact, the entire 2002 4x4 running gear - for $1,500. But who knows, maybe I'll hit the lottery and I'll "invest" it in a 6.0...

Comment

Seems like a sound investment to me. I mean, for a Chevy.

Dan

Comment

The way you explain it to us the LS will be roughly $1400 more than the 400sbc. Will you get that much more on the resale? Also would expect the 400 to a little easier and quicker to throw together and be running?

Comment

I think the EFI would make the FJ much more fun, reliable, and less expensive to drive. Of course, that's also about the same money to buy an FAST (or similar) efi. What will likely happen is eventually I'll make a to-do, to-get list from Randal's threads on EFI and simply do it myself... I might have a line on all the electronics from someone else from a TBI that was on a Suburban... or I'll simply go pull one... anyway, all of that is a long, long way off... KISS is going to be the order of the day, other than re-engineering the suspension so that I don't have to keep a chiropractor on retainer, the rest of this build is going to be trod over very well-used land.

Comment

I have been very impressed with the LS 6 liter engines to the point that there will probably be one in the near future for one of our projects... I see where you are going with this and I won't second guess your logic...
                      Patrick & Tammy
                      - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

Originally posted by silver_bullet View Post
                        I have been very impressed with the LS 6 liter engines to the point that there will probably be one in the near future for one of our projects... I see where you are going with this and I won't second guess your logic...

I don't think there's a right way - just several ways of doing it.

Comment

Decisionmaking.

I have a 5 speed AX15 transmission and transfer case from a Chevy Colorado pickup. It will cost $400 to mate it to a SBC, however, the issue.... will the AX15 survive behind the 400 or a 350? Some say yes, others no. The stock, 4 cyl motor generated 175 hp and 186lb torque. The 400 will be 300 hp 400 lb torque, or the 350 would be about 275 hp and 350 lb torque. Some say it should survive, others say that's wishful thinking. The AX 15 is a popular transmission among the Jeep folks, and I suspect that eventually beef will be available for this transmission.... worst case scenario is I blow up the transmission and have to swap something else in....

thoughts?

Comment

How do you wheel? ... Pussyfoot into full throttle or do you dumo the clutch while in waist deep stuff? .. Only you can decide.. If it will not survive your style of driving, why bother.. BUT THEN.... The M22 Muncie "Rockcrusher" is not rated very high... Hp ot tq wise.. So in that vein of thought... It "might be" ok.. You seem to love redoing stuff..

Comment

you bring up a good point about the muncie

It's been a long, long time since I've broken an axle.... of course, I've replaced all the body panels on a Jetta because, well, they got a few dents that may or may not have been attributable to my driving style.

Comment

So I got some more bits tonight
                                a truss

prevailing wisdom is use a dana 60 or 14 bolt - which they are tough rear ends, but I'm not rock bouncing nor am I putting 1000 hp through the axles... so a reinforced 9" should be more than adequate

of course, for a 3 and 4 link suspension, you do need tough heim joints

and while I was looking for engine parts, I came across this

my 1st FJ40 needed wheel cylinders, but I made one work so I ended up with an extra. I sold it in 1991.... yep, it's been traveling with me that long - and I still won't use it because it's going to be 4 wheel disk brakes all around

Comment

Working...
                                X