FJ40 I call Shipwreck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Deaf Bob View Post
    Fenderwell headers...only if you don't mind the smell of cooking mud...

and squirrels, don't forget the cooking squirrels

actually, the headers are behind the fender, outside the frame, and under the floorpan. what will bug me is I'd rather the exhaust as far back as I can get it... this puts it right behind the door - so this might be the impetus to make some 1/2 doors for summer.
    Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

• reference... if you blow a seal

Timken engineers and manufactures bearings and mechanical power transmission products. We use our knowledge to help global industries operate more efficiently.

I bought 2 seals today, both didn't work... however, this site got me the part number so, hopefully, my seals will stay unblown

Comment

• If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

• tonight's fun

time to build a template for the adapter

basically, that's 1 1/2" to make the transition from 5 to 6 bolt

and voila

a template.... fortunately, there's an easy way to make sure the t-case and the transmission stay in line, and I probably will use the adapter I bought, though, I may actually hit ebay up for a thinner one because I need every fraction of an inch.... we'll see... or I'll just make it myself

Comment

• Looks like it's beginning to fall into place!
            Patrick & Tammy
            - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

• well, the new input shaft is in with its new seal and bearing

I got some 1/2" steel today to make adapters

pipe to connect the two bits

and the fun part.... cutting them out

Comment

• and look... a turkey

Comment

• I'll bet that one even gobbles?
                  Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

• Update on the turkey... this is her uncle

http://time.com/3608962/national-dog...-thanksgiving/
                    Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; November 27, 2014, 10:30 PM.

Comment

• so, I spent some time making steel into scrap

testing whether I wanted to max my plasma or use my baby torch..

went with torch... was quieter and more peaceful... of course, there wasn't a lot of peace since turkey got my dark, tinted, cutting glasses

the whole point

once the plate cooled off, I painted the outline of what it needs to look like onto it

and started grinding.... I've a ways to go, but it's closer

oh and spent some time making a pipe... I need a specific diameter - and 4 1/2 wasn't it... so I added some material and caulked with my mig too...

it should be about 1/16 large... it was nearly an 1/8 tonight - but it is still pretty warm from the heat to bend and the weld to the inner pipe..

Happy thanksgiving from the turkey and his poo scooper

Comment

• Get a and held band saw by Milwaukee.. There is a stand that you can bolt a piece on your saw that takes care of the part that the blade rolls by and you can use it with a table top stand or quickly detach and use it free hand.. If I remember tmrw, I'll shoot a pic of it nd send it to you.. Works real good.. Beata grinding!

Comment

• if you squint, you can see my vertical bandsaw to the left of the part...
                          however, since I didn't' really want to chop the blade in half, the hole got torched, now ground to spec - plus, it looks like christmas with all the pretty shards of metal from the diamond burr.

Comment

• Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
                            Update on the turkey... this is her uncle

http://time.com/3608962/national-dog...-thanksgiving/
                            HOLY HUGE DOG FEET BATMAN!!

And they have an affinity for shaded safety glasses? Maybe just trying to put them on like they've seen you do?

My dog does weird crap that has me convinced she is trying to do things with her mouth that I do with my hands.

I don't understand the specific diameter-tube thing? Wouldn't it be enough to simply clear the splined shaft connection without interference? Or does this need to act as an indexing ring as well?

Looks like there is going to be pretty good front driveshaft clearance. And with some upwards pinion angle on the rear, fairly good rear driveshaft juju as well. Looks at least as good as my CJ7 factory setup. (hehehe!)

Comment

• Originally posted by STINEY View Post

I don't understand the specific diameter-tube thing? Wouldn't it be enough to simply clear the splined shaft connection without interference? Or does this need to act as an indexing ring as well?

Looks like there is going to be pretty good front driveshaft clearance. And with some upwards pinion angle on the rear, fairly good rear driveshaft juju as well. Looks at least as good as my CJ7 factory setup. (hehehe!)
                              yes, it needs to index.... fortunately, the ID of both is exactly the same. With that said, I doubt it could weld it, then put it together with enough difference to make a difference; but anyone can do it the easy way

I'm thinking of putting this build on the expedition forum under the domestic builds with a "not a FJ40verland build" - for no other reason than to totally twist up the toyota purists (yeah, they exist)... maybe "domestic FJ40" with a lead-in line that goes like this "I hate Toyotas, and as this thing has 70 year old stolen technology, I'm building this to be what Toyota would build if they stole the technology today"...

With that said, didn't you get a CJ7 with a Harley when you purchased a complete volleyball set from AMF?

yep, SBG is in a mood today
                              Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; November 28, 2014, 08:37 AM.

Comment

• Bwaahaahaa!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X