Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
    back to work on the tire carrier
    What is the accordion do-hickey on the right? Telescopic stairs of some sort? Portable flat terrain?
    Last edited by STINEY; June 14, 2016, 06:33 AM.
    Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

• a way to get a fat-assed Mastiff into the vehicle - he can't/won't jump into a vehicle
      anyone who's seen him in person knows has seen me have to lift his rear legs into a vehicle - what's especially funny/annoying is he won't even jump into a car. That said, if you went from 22 lbs to 165 lbs in 2 years - jumping your height might be troublesome.
      Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

• tire carrier

I avoided doing it this way, but the reason behind it no longer exists - easy way it is

line up some holes

so some decisions to make about the carrier portion of this....

Comment

• more work accomplished

I have a TRE reamer, and put it to good use for the perfect fit

so I probably will have a 33" or 35" spare (maybe 37)... there's little point to carrying a full size spare because of the way the lockers work - the spare always has to be on the front, but even if it is, unlocking that hub will still give me 3 wheel drive to get to a tire shop....

this is important because the final size isn't going to be this size nor will they be bias ply tires.... or non-locking rims...

Comment

• So it's supposed to be lightning, rain, and I have no top so I needed to do a drive then 4x4 light to do a brief test
            Oh yeah, and there's also this - there were some on Pirate who said "stupidest build ever" (that would be a moderator who said that) "will never finish it" "will never drive on the freeway" "will flip over because the wheelbase is too short" "he knows race cars but doesn't know 4x4s" and, one of my personal favorites "well, everyone knows how to do this" (which is an amazing admission of their own).
            So thank you Bangshift, thank you Hummer4x4offroad, and even thank you everyone except Mace (but I'll forgive him if he finds me those 4.56 axles for $300) on IH8Mud. You all prove that not being the biggest jerk on the web means that you're some of the nicest people. Enjoy the 100k plus views and my thanks for hosting.
            (look at the trees for angle reference)

and for those who wonder why Instant Center (IC) is important, this one climbs this hill - my Hummer can't (even though it has a longer wheelbase and full lockers too)

To the hosts, my next goal is a million views....

Comment

• Nice, very nice. Savor the success friend.

By the way, is that the infamous skid steer eating incline?
              Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

• yep.

Comment

• Of course it is "dumb" "wrong". "stupid". Whatever.... But damnnnn I WANT IT SO BAD!
                  True wheelers appreciate what real rigs can do..
                  There is a thrill, satisfaction, even a climax sort of feeling, making it thru a bad road, hill, creek, whatever the obstacle..
                  Mid 70's-latr 80's early 90's there wer clubs that went out to run trails, dunes, climb hills or stuff like that..
                  Lots of times guys would go as far as possible in 2WD then switch into 4WD..
                  This is a rig that any righteous wheeler would be proud to own!
                  It has all the right stuff! And more!
                  Will it tip? Sure, any rig will!
                  Easier than most? Naw, very doubtful.. Why? Because Aaron is a saavy wheeler..
                  How anout those Samuri's? Brats? Hear they flip easy.. But with a saavy driver, do they?
                  This rig is what every trail runner wants..
                  The nay-sayers are just JEALOUS!
                  If it was me building this rig, I'd be driving it unfinished!

Comment

• Love it! Have you had it on the highway at 75 yet?
                    http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
                    1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
                    ​​​​​​

Comment

• yep

Comment

• I'd tell them to eat sh*t and bark at the moon, but I don't have much of a filter and habitually (though not intentionally) offend people. Hands down, this thing rocks. Just don't go getting cocky and forget to carry a jack, shovel and pick.

Referencing what Bob said,
                        True wheelers appreciate what real rigs can do..
                        There is a thrill, satisfaction, even a climax sort of feeling, making it thru a bad road, hill, creek, whatever the obstacle..
                        Mid 70's-latr 80's early 90's there wer clubs that went out to run trails, dunes, climb hills or stuff like that..
                        Lots of times guys would go as far as possible in 2WD then switch into 4WD..
                        I remember as a kid someone in my family saying something similar, "You go as far as you can in 2WD 'til you get stuck, get as far as you can in 4Hi, then put it in 4Lo, turn around and go home."

Comment

• reality beats working on paper or C.A.D. ..... EVERY TIME!!!!
                          Patrick & Tammy
                          - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

• but Bob, if I'd followed that rule, we'd have had to stop at the first hill (see the Liberty update). As for the Pirate issue - they didn't get to see the build, that is punishment to them.... best of all, it drove clicks from their site to others on the web - a 100,000 view build is a pretty big deal in forumland; best of all, anymore over there all you hear is crickets because I've heard from lots of others that they've had enough of the drama...

So I spent a lot of time getting stuff out for camping this weekend, but there was progress on the toyota front
                            the news is I gave up on bearings

1" axle with 1 1/4" dom tube and a bit of boring and it works well

and now I don't think I'll worry so much about it falling off

high lift jack plan, fuel plan - though on that side I'm building shelves that I can put whatever on and attach ax, shovel, etc.

I'm building a stainless tank for inside for water....
                            Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; June 20, 2016, 10:10 PM.

Comment

• Aaron, Never follow the rules! Too boring..
                              I have looked at Pirate.. Do not like the drama.. Son is interested in building toys out of Sammys..
                              I'd rather have another FJ 40!
                              I like my SWB Chevy, but it aint a FJ..
                              Would love to have a rig freewayable and follow you guys on a jaunt thru those mountains..

Comment

• I'm still not sure why you don't, Bob. Find a YJ, they're super-cheap and build it.... not pretty, just capable.
                                It's sad to say, but FJ40s have priced themselves out of the market for most - but the most unloved of Jeeps, YJs make for darn good platforms for some one tons, a 350, turbo 400, and NP 205. Throw some 35 or 36 mud tires on and go have a blast. Quite frankly, that build is easy to accomplish for less than 5k. Much less if you have an old chevy truck laying about.

Comment

Working...
                                X