No announcement yet.

FJ40 I call Shipwreck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So I drove 200 miles today and got 8 mpg, of course, that may change a bit once I do one of the fixits. So here's the list:
    I publish this so the trolls can carry on their trolling, but more importantly for the folks who garage build and who the trolls and tv shows bring down. It's an honest list and meant to help others see that it's just part of the build process. Don't anyone get the thought that I didn't have a blast today - I did, this build was totally worth it.

Steering set screw - there are two, I ground one down...

Steering stop nut, I can get more turning radius by turning it in a bit

Not yet fixed
    fuel smell - we found the reason - the top of the tank is leaking (which might explain some of the poor mpg - beside the 38.5 bias ply tires, 4.56 gears and brick aero)
    Fuel level sender (again) 3/8 is empty.... need to solve that - but since I've got to take the seat out again... no biggie
    fuel pump is annoying - I may fix this in my typical manner of build a new tank and put the pump in tank.... because, the easy way is for smart folks and Pirate knows, I'm not smart.
    driver's side exhaust leak - annoying but needs fixed (I think I missed a hole header - not a gasket)
    reset the driveshaft so it is straight. This one a pro got me - I set the shaft as Tom Woods suggested, he said I needed a degree in it to reduce vibration... uh, dumbme... I'll put it back (easy)
    Water, cup holders .... yeah, get over it, shifting and wheeling makes carrying your coffee between your legs a perilous adventure.. and no, I didn't bring water or food today... I need to make food and water permanent in the vehicle so I don't do this again (thank you Regis for bring food)

this is a big one, cooler for the power steering pump. driving normally, it works fine, but it was not happy turning the spartan locker front. I'd like to add a steering ram (and will) but that's later - for now I may simply add a stabilizer so that I don't have death at speed-bump speed wobble until I get the funds.

a caliper is loose and rattling
    seat belts are junk - going to replace them with harnesses, good harnesses.
    stupid dana 300s, I didn't put the spring in and am regretting it. 4 wd pops out to 2 wd, I should have put the spring in. This I won't fix until much later, but it's an issue. I need to redo the shift levers because they are also problematic - at one point I had front-only drive which, as far as I know, is utterly impossible.... leave it to me to find a way to make that happen (not twice though)

4 hi/N/4 low... I don't like the levers, I may (gasp) put a stepper motor on it so that it mechanically holds it in gear..... it also doesn't like to go easily between the gears.

clutch, yeah again, as the day progressed so did the level of force required to use the clutch. I think I'll add more heim joints to the system...

skid plate rattle - this could be as simple as a rock on the skid plate.... but there it is.

Add to this the stuff that happened before (oil pump, almost burned to the ground, and the various getting stuff working senders..) and you'll have a complete idea of what it has taken to make it road worthy.

With all of that said, I was blowing along at 80 mph on a rutty freeway and it felt stable. It does tend to corner steer (when you turn a corner the rear helps in the turning process as the body leans - which can be a bit disconcerting to get used to).... that said, once the fuel smell is fixed - I'll drive it anywhere...
    Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; August 7, 2016, 09:18 PM.
    Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

• Don't know why you bag on yourself.. I find that extremely ANOYING!
      Anybody who thinks building ANYTHING without shakedown runs is a flipping fool!
      We try to do donuts and run thru the fields with our derby cars.. Times we didn't bit our asses big big time!
      Kid kind hates to cuz doubled, tubed donuts ride hard especially when the suspension is welded up front and chained in back..
      Here's tp you getting it PERFECT or as clse to before you make your overland trek!

Comment

• Thanks for sharing the punch-list. Nice to see the in use action shots!
        Chris - HRPT Long Haul 03, 04, 05, 13, 14, 15,16 & 18
        74 Nova Project
        66 Mustang GT Project

92 Camaro RS Convertible Project
        79 Chevy Truck Project
        1956 Cadillac Project

Comment

• Glad to see it getting put to use, I would be proud of a punch list that short!
          http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
          1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
          ​​​​​​

Comment

• more light brackets

Comment

• bonus pictures

it's really awesome that I have a friend who risks life and limb to ride with me and take pictures, be I think I need to mention to him to turn the camera so it doesn't flatten the hill... still, he was much appreciated on the run.

Comment

• Success! Looks like a blast.

Comment

• back to lights

waterproof connectors

let there be light

if you're curious what the pair draw...

the ignitor brings it up to about 12 amps to start them both... believe it or not, these are 35w, the 55w (upper lights) take almost exactly the same amount of power. For those who ask why, because I wanted work/flood/fog lights down low so as not to blind other drivers

and the occasional jeep gets in the way of progress

pretty radiator, though

more wiring

now I have adequate lighting

a

Comment

• One of those interesting things I learned. This is my first dana 300 transfer case, and when I bought/built it I wonder about whether or not to put 4:1 gears in the case. The answer is unequivocally no. On the trail, it was just-right gears, maybe needed just a touch lower gear - however, on the highway, I rarely used 5th gear - which means that when I do the air lockers, I should go to 5.13 or 5.38 gears. That gives me the low range that works for the wheeling I do, and makes 5th gear useful again...

The other thing is I need to kill the drone - this is quieter without a top, at speed then the Kuhmo tires on my H3 with the windows up; but the mufflers are just under annoying, and too loud... so I will, eventually, put DBX or similar mufflers on - benefit of those mufflers is they already have heat wrapping on the inside...

Comment

• Some amazing terrain, what fun. Roll oversteer is from downward angle of the suspension links, best thing to do is just not loan the truck out to people who don't know how to drive through it or they'll be doing barrel rolls... Light placement is a tough one, hi-mounts make it so you can't see the dips, low mounts make them look like craters. ???

So is this one a "keeper"? I got to a point once where I decided I didn't have time in my life to "build another one like it", and don't sell anything anymore. Of-course, this needs a couple acres of property...

Comment

• It wouldn't be a fun vehicle if it didn't have instructions on how not to kill yourself

It's a lifted 4x4 with super-flexy suspension. it's not for amatuers
                        Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; August 11, 2016, 01:02 PM.

Comment

• Interesting - so I replace the fuel sender (the round bit in later pictures) and figured I messed something up there to have a fuel leak... nope

worse is this doesn't clearly show where it's leaking
                          this does

pretty much everywhere
                          the worst is the corner - which didn't leak before

and then the sender

I have maybe 7 psi in the tank
                          so I used some sealant - mind you, if this doesn't work it means I must build a new tank.... crossing fingers and starting the new tank design

I may move the batteries to under the seat and the tank to the back.... I dunno, have some figuring to do.

Comment

• Ive never had the desire to to really get into these types of vehicles. I have always thought they were cool with the high travel suspensions but the urge to go off road never hit me. After following your thread my interest has been sparked. A few of my friends are into these off road vehicles so I have a shotgun seat the next time they go out. Who knows maybe one day ill build one. Keep up the great work.
                            CHECK US OUT AT:
                            www.ridetech.com

Comment

• There are guys who blast thru everydamnthing.. There are guys who poke thru the same stuff..
                              There are times to throttle it, there are times to finasee it..
                              Some guys/gals love to jump..
                              Some love to swim..
                              I just love getting there and back..
                              A 4 by trail runs parrallel the gravel road, I will likely take the trail..

Comment

• Originally posted by RideTech_Ryan View Post
                                Ive never had the desire to to really get into these types of vehicles. I have always thought they were cool with the high travel suspensions but the urge to go off road never hit me. After following your thread my interest has been sparked. A few of my friends are into these off road vehicles so I have a shotgun seat the next time they go out. Who knows maybe one day ill build one. Keep up the great work.
                                If you're looking for someone to help I know a guy

It's funny, my only surprise was how easily a purpose-built-rig can handle the tough stuff. Everyone talks about how Walker OHV park is tough. I did all the trails on Sunday and thought "meh" - in a stock vehicle or even my H3, it'd be challenging. Add some rain and some of that would have been a bit more challenging, but even so - as you well know - the right upgrades to suspensions can make a world of difference. There is a lot of space for innovation in 4x4 stuff - even more so if it's universal rather then Jeep oriented and done by people who understand how a suspension works and how to make it work.
                                Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; August 12, 2016, 09:56 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X